NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110310/SPORTS0202/103100313/Crowds-up-slightly-Summit-event-ESPNU-scoreboard-fall-short?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Quote:
Less than 24 hours after wrapping up the conference basketball tournament at the Arena, Summit League officials zipped down I-29 to make a site visit at prospect member Nebraska-Omaha on Wednesday.

The university currently competes on the Division II level but is reportedly mulling a move to Division I after an NCAA moratorium ends this summer and has longstanding ties with current Summit members SDSU and NDSU and future member USD.

"We're going to visit with athletic staff and administration and sort of see what their thoughts are and do a really good once-over for that institution," Summit commissioner Tom Douple said. "We have a lot of information that they sent to us and we want to codify the information, find out a little more about them and their future."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UNO gets in, does North Dakota reconsider the Big Sky?

West - UND, USD, NDSU, SDSU, UNO, ORU
East - UMKC, WIU, IUPUI, IPFW, Oakland, ??? (UMSL, Chicago State, etc.)

Other than Oral Roberts, the Summit would actually have a fairly tight footprint.

If Montana, Montana State, or Northern Colorado ever leave the Big Sky, North Dakota becomes increasingly isolated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think you're right about North Dakota.

They were almost in the Summit this summer, but hte issue was MVFC membership for their FB team.

Nebraska-Omaha needs a FB home, and the only way their move-up works, is if they got a slot in the MVFC
(I suppose theoretically, they could become an associate FB member of the Big Sky, but that is rather messy).
If the MVFC expands, one would think they would go from 10 to 12.
(They wouldn't take North Dakota this summer, since that would have stuck them at 11).

I have to think North Dakota and UNO make for a Summit / MVFC pair.

Who would be Summit #12 ?
Dunno - but we're talking a school w/o football.
Summit (Mid-con actually) kicked out Chicago State for various pending violations about 3 years ago.
They may have gotten new AD, and fixed some of their problems, but I'm skeptical.
I live in St. Louis, but have heard no rumblings about UMSL to D-1.
St. Louis would be a nice market for the Summit to add, to go with KC and Omaha.
Maybe the Summit will address #12 AFTER they invite North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
I think you're right about North Dakota.

They were almost in the Summit this summer, but hte issue was MVFC membership for their FB team.

Nebraska-Omaha needs a FB home, and the only way their move-up works, is if they got a slot in the MVFC
(I suppose theoretically, they could become an associate FB member of the Big Sky, but that is rather messy).
If the MVFC expands, one would think they would go from 10 to 12.
(They wouldn't take North Dakota this summer, since that would have stuck them at 11).

I have to think North Dakota and UNO make for a Summit / MVFC pair.

Who would be Summit #12 ?
Dunno - but we're talking a school w/o football.
Summit (Mid-con actually) kicked out Chicago State for various pending violations about 3 years ago.
They may have gotten new AD, and fixed some of their problems, but I'm skeptical.
I live in St. Louis, but have heard no rumblings about UMSL to D-1.
St. Louis would be a nice market for the Summit to add, to go with KC and Omaha.
Maybe the Summit will address #12 AFTER they invite North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha.

It would seem that if the Summit is talking to UNO officially...then a MVFC spot must be in the works as well. No reason to get UNO if they have problems on the football side without a conference.

So that probably means UND would be a go for the Summit/MVFC combo as well.

On top of that, Big Sky commish Fullerton has said that if UND leaves before joining, there is no penalty/fine. Seems you onyl bring that up if there is a good chance the school mentioned is in fact considering a move. If UND leaves, the Big Sky is back to 10 all-sports members in a better footprint and 12 for football. Right now they are slated to be 11/13...ouch. At the time, it appeared USD would join as well but as we know, they passed. It also appeared that the Big Sky could lose schools to the WAC...they didn't though. All of a sudden, UND leaving the Big Sky could be a positive for that conference.

The only darkhorse move I could see would be if somehow the Big Sky went after UNO. It would give them 12 all-sports members and 14 for football. But really, do they need to expand so far east. It's one of the biggest conference footprints with UND to EWU to PSU to Sac St, south to Cal Poly for football and into Arizona...just too much travel. Remove UND (and UNo to SL) and everyone is happy.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

since omaha has now joined the summit, who exactly can be a partner with ND to join the mvfc as football only? NKU can join the summit with ND to bring up the conference to 12 but thats if the mvfc lets ND join. as mentioned, st. louis is in the heart of the summit league but nothing has been heard about a move. i guess theoretically grand valley st could join the mvfc but would they just join the mvc for the rest of their sports or would they go to the summit & have an instate rival in oakland? of course, this is all hypothetical.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]