NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:59 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:44 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The Big 12 and the Big East need to consider a merger. It would benefit both conferences. Here is my proposal. There needs to be two eight-team divisions. This would make sense geographically speaking. The long distance between some of these schools would be lessened by the fact that they would only play the teams that are far away on a rotational basis.

East Division
WVU
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinatti
South Florida
UConn
Missouri
Iowa State

West Division
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State

Each team plays six of the seven teams in their division each year, rotating through the division as to which team they will not play each year. They also play two teams each year from the other division, rotating through the teams each year. That leaves four out of conference games for each team to play plus the Conference Championship Game for the winner of each division.

I know the Oklahoma/OK State game would be eliminated once every seven years. Maybe they could schedule that game as an "non-conference" game on those years. The same would go for the Red River Rivalry between Oklahoma and Texas. Same goes for Kansas/Kansaas State. An example of this is when Utah and Washington played this year but it was not counted as a Pac 12 Conference game. The game was scheduled before Utah joined the Pac 12 as an out of conference game for both schools. They went ahead and played but the game does not count towards each team's conference reco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

WVU Fan, an interesting and thoughtful post you presented. Versions of such had been discussed since the prior expansion bonanza when Nebraska and Colorado left the B12. I just don't see the respective conferences (B12 & BE) thinking and acting that deeply. The politics of it has so many barriers and invested interests that thinking this far out of the box is too difficult and limits innovation substantially. That said, C-USA and the MWC are trying to do a "combo" for a little different objectives.

I do hope WVU finds a solid and comfortable situation for continued success.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

sec03 wrote:
WVU Fan, an interesting and thoughtful post you presented. Versions of such had been discussed since the prior expansion bonanza when Nebraska and Colorado left the B12. I just don't see the respective conferences (B12 & BE) thinking and acting that deeply. The politics of it has so many barriers and invested interests that thinking this far out of the box is too difficult and limits innovation substantially. That said, C-USA and the MWC are trying to do a "combo" for a little different objectives.

I do hope WVU finds a solid and comfortable situation for continued success.

Indeed. Had Pitt and SU still been in the Big East, and if they didn't have some of the current schools, than maybe it could have been.

For instance, if the Big East were:
Syracuse, Uconn, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU and Louisville alone...and the Big 12 was at 10, then it's a 16 school group that I think could work because they lowest Big East school would be an improvement over many in the Big 12 now.

East Division:
Syracuse
Uconn
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
Louisville
Missouri
Iowa St.

WesT:
Curreny other 8 members

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.