NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Carolina regarding the discusions at UNCCharlotte regarding the possibility of adding a D-1 football program.Also speculation as to what league the school with FB would eventually wind up in,perhaps C-USA or even the Big East. Link at http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/464640.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

Probably CUSA....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UNCC would be the second Bowl Subdivision school in the A-10 (Temple is the other). Depending on how many upgrades there are along the East Coast, there should be enough to cobble together an A-10, SoCon, or CAA Bowl Subdivision league. That league may even be able to take Buffalo from the MAC. If Lamar, UTSA, and Texas State don't wind up in the Sun Belt, the Sun Belt could readmit Charlotte. Conference USA would probably be the better institutional fit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article regarding new UNCC campus master plan that apparently would include 50 acres for a possible 30,000 seat football stadium at http://www.charlotte.com/274/story/464964.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another article out of Charlotte with more information regarding a possible D-1 FB program for UNCC at http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/453157.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/504244.html

Football at UNCC?
2 N.C. educators say no
Would new program hurt top priorities?

Two of North Carolina's most respected educators came to UNC Charlotte on Thursday with a frank assessment of the school's hopes of starting a football program.

They don't think it's a good idea.

"I fear that football will damage the university's academic position," said C.D. "thingy" Spangler, the UNC system's president from 1986-97. "This is the future of this campus that we're talking about."

Spangler was joined by William Friday, another former UNC system president and the founding co-chairman of the Knight Commission for Intercollegiate Athletics. They spoke to about 200 faculty members in a recital hall in the Rowe Arts Building.

They asked UNCC Chancellor Phil Dubois for the opportunity to speak after hearing in December that a feasibility committee had recommended starting a football program by 2012.

"As university people, what we must guard ... above all is the integrity of the institutions where we teach and serve," said Friday.

Friday talked about the escalating costs of college football -- from funding 85 scholarships to rising coaches salaries. He also mentioned the influence of television and shoe contracts in reshaping college priorities.

"All these events are integral in making what's happening at our universities nothing more than an entertainment event," he said.

UNCC's football feasibility committee has recommended that much of the cost for a program -- which could cost about $6 million per year to operate -- be borne by an increase in student fees.

"So you're putting the burden on the families of students," Spangler said. "Unless you're keeping tuition and fees low, you'll find it's hard to get the quality you need for other programs."

Spangler also said that asking prospective donors and sponsors for money would conflict with fundraising for academics.

"There's only a certain amount of money out there," he said. "I'd rather the chancellor be out there asking for money for academic buildings and programs. That's easier to do than if you're not also asking for football money. I don't want the chancellor to have to make those kinds of calls."

Peggy Wilmoth, a professor of nursing whose son attends UNCC, listened to Spangler and Friday. She understood their arguments, but disagreed.

"I appreciated what they talked about," she said. "It was very good data. But I don't think football would diminish anything. It would enhance the atmosphere on campus. My son talks about living in the dorms and everybody leaves on weekends because there's no reason to stay.

"That detracts from his vision of what college should be all about."

Friday offered little sympathy to Wilmoth, or to Larry Marks, the school's director of bands who said the school's lack of a marching band for football hurts music students' chances at jobs in their field.

To that, Friday said, "Students have choices (of where they can attend)."

Another faculty member asked why, if Spangler and Friday would discourage UNCC from having a football program, wouldn't they ask schools such as UNC Chapel Hill and N.C. State to discontinue theirs?

"It's one thing to lay down on the railroad tracks in front of a train that's going 80 mph," Spangler said of UNC and N.C. State's programs. "It's another to lay down in front of one that's not moving -- that doesn't even have any coal ...

"What I'm saying is, this is one we can win."

What's next?

• UNC Charlotte Chancellor Phil Dubois will receive a report today or next week from a football feasibility committee that has recommended the school begin the sport by 2012.

• Dubois will read the report then take his recommendation to the school's board of trustees in the spring.

• If the board approves, the school would start the sport on the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) level, then move up to Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 am 
Senior
Senior

Come to think of it, when have we ever heard educators support adding athletics?

Once (if) Charlotte does start football, they're probably looking at the Sun Belt or CUSA (what's left of it on the eastern end), they'll be starting way too late to have a shot at the BE (who will more than likely take Memphis and either another C-USA school or UMass for an even 10), since they're looking to be a stable conference before 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

Article off ESPN: UNC Charlotte Chancellor recommends football program to start in 2013. A board vote is expected in November.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3595248

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As big of a market as Charlotte is, UNCC shouldn't have any problem finding a conference. Since we're looking at least 2016 before the 49ers would count as an FBS opponent (assuming the current rules hold), there should be quite a bit of movement between now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FCS MB thread discussing recent articles regarding impact of recession on prospective UNCCharlotte FB facilities.Link at http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... f=4&t=4913

Post subject: UNCC unveils Plan B
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Friday, April 03, 2009

UNC Charlotte 49ers reveal football Plan B

By Ron Green Jr.
The Charlotte Observer
Turning commitments into payments for Charlotte 49ers football seat licenses is off to a sluggish start while school officials are reconsidering the scope of the football initiative.

The difficult economy led chancellor Philip Dubois to present a scaled-back ‘Plan B' for the start-up program to board of trustees during a February meeting.
The new plan would require approximately $20 million rather than the $45 million called for in the original plan, but would still allow the program to begin play in 2013.
The new plan would include a sports complex using a pre-engineered structure. The plan would also add approximately 11,000 bleacher seats to the 4,000 seats around the Belk track complex to create a football stadium. The original plan includes an on-campus expandable football stadium.
“(The new plan) gets you started,” Dubois said Thursday.
No vote was taken on Dubois's Plan B proposal. A vote is expected at a later date.
“When I made the original recommendation, we weren't looking at the conditions we're looking at today. Obviously, the ground has shifted. We needed a Plan B,” Dubois said.
Should trustees choose to stick with the original $45 million plan – created before economic conditions deteriorated – the start date for the program would likely be pushed back.
Dubois said the critical element is the sports complex, which would house coaches' offices, locker rooms and academic support areas.
“We don't need to build a 50-year structure,” Dubois said. “It will be brick-clad and it will look like all the other buildings on campus. It will serve us nicely.”
The larger question is whether the school can raise the money needed to fund the program.
“That's a daunting challenge,” Dubois said.
With a deadline today for would-be ticket buyers to secure their future seats, money had been received Thursday for 1,304 seats, according to a school spokesman, far below the pledged total of more than 5,400 seats.
Today's deadline doesn't mean those who pledged to buy 49ers Seat Licenses have lost the opportunity. It just takes them off the initial list guaranteeing future seats.
“Am I shocked by the numbers that have come in? I'm not,” Charlotte athletic director Judy Rose said.

“I am a little disappointed.”

Both Rose and Gene Johnson, chairman of the school's football fund-raising committee, said the current economic climate accounts for the slow response.

Dubois was not encouraged by the response.

“That (number) does concern me,” he said.

Johnson said he doesn't believe the low ticket numbers signal a lack of interest in the future program.

“I don't see it that way,” Johnson said. “I've not sent in my seat money. I intend to buy a number of FSLs but I don't consider this to really be a deadline.

“I hope people don't look at this as some sort of test of support for our program … I don't have any question we're going to sell every one of the FSLs.”

In formulating a plan for creating the football program, FSLs are projected to provide between $5 and $10-million in start-up money. The general fund-raising campaign, which has not begun, has a $45-million target.

“There's no panic,” Rose said. “We'd like to have more (ticket money), but it's reflective of the times.”

Rose said people on the FSL list recently received a postcard reminding them of today's deadline. The postcard included a Charlotte 49ers jersey with the person's name on it. Rose called it “a gentle, prodding reminder.”

“It's important that we have a fluid timeline,” Johnson said. “We want to set things up for success. There's no sense doing this any other way but right.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

49er MB thread discussing UNCC FB stadium situation at http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23485

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another niner nation MB thread discussing 49er FB situation at http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23494

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FCS MB thread discussing UNCC FB situation at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/s ... hp?t=58272

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charlotte reporting that budget problems may cause UNCCharlotte to push back the starting of their FB program a year or more.Link at http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/st ... ily44.html