NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 349  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Army-Navy game on Veteran's Day is brilliant. To ensure it got its proper place as the sole game on television I would put the game on whatever night Veteran's Day falls on and air it in prime time rather than on Saturday.

I also had a thought on accessibility for the Forgotten 5: As the price for getting to be a Semi-Final Site every 3 years I think once every 3 years the Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach bowls should take turns hosting the highest ranked champion from the BE/C-USA/MWC/SBC/MAC. In order to keep travel and attendance high they should put teams East of the Mississippi in the Peach and teams West of the Mississippi in the Fiesta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
The Army-Navy game on Veteran's Day is brilliant. To ensure it got its proper place as the sole game on television I would put the game on whatever night Veteran's Day falls on and air it in prime time rather than on Saturday.

I also had a thought on accessibility for the Forgotten 5: As the price for getting to be a Semi-Final Site every 3 years I think once every 3 years the Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach bowls should take turns hosting the highest ranked champion from the BE/C-USA/MWC/SBC/MAC. In order to keep travel and attendance high they should put teams East of the Mississippi in the Peach and teams West of the Mississippi in the Fiesta.

Yeah, but when the Peach Bowl sold out to Chick-fil-a, not specifically as a matter of sponsorship, but the name label; it just does not fit with the classy, celebrating, and generic names such as Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Cotton. Too bad, "Peach" was a better name to promote the State of Georgia and the City of Atlanta---as opposed to the corporate headquarters for quick-serve chicken sandwiches.

The Chick-fil-a have had those down-the-line/runner-ups' SEC vs ACC matchups, and secured good attendance from usually close-by/regional traveling fans. The attraction beyond bowl opportunities and revenue, was convenience and appealing location.

Maybe bring back the Poulan-Weedeater Bowl in Louisiana for B12-SEC also-rans?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise(previously posted in another thread) discussing yesterday's BCS President's decisions and how they will affect BE playoff revenue and access at http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/1 ... t_champion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article discussing today's BE meeting agenda in Chicago at http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ns-tuesday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I surely hope that Temple insisted that they play UConn, Rutgers, and Cincinnati for their 3 cross-division games the next two years as a condition of playing in the West Division. That is a lot of travel for an Owls team that is trying to develop a fan base. If Temple is going to succeed in the Big East they are going to have to be able to establish rivalries with nearby schools.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I surely hope that Temple insisted that they play UConn, Rutgers, and Cincinnati for their 3 cross-division games the next two years as a condition of playing in the West Division. That is a lot of travel for an Owls team that is trying to develop a fan base. If Temple is going to succeed in the Big East they are going to have to be able to establish rivalries with nearby schools.

When I see UL, UoC, and USF AND UCF on the same line while Memphis and Temple are "out west," it tells me all I need to know.

Somebody PLEASE take Louisville so that the Big East can either fix or end itself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Aresco's comments about preserving rivalries and building new ones were a complete joke. Temple belongs with UConn and Rutgers. Memphis belongs with Louisville and Cincy. If they aren't going to put them in the same divisions these teams need to be slated to play cross division games these next two seasons until the Big East releases it's zipper model. I'm hoping they see the light and go with true geographic divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

God - is there a SINGLE brain cell among those BE clowns ????

move Temple and Memphis to East, UCF / USF to West.

Temple obviously should be playing Rutgers and UConn.
Memphis has traditional rivals in Cincy and Louisville (from Metro Conf, then CUSA days).

Seems to be a "let's screw the new-comers" mentality.

Every time the BE has a chance to get something right, they shoot themselves in the foot.
Clearly this Aresco clown has some leadership limitations....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Aresco has been in favor of a geographic split apparently, but he seem more afraid of alienating Louisville further. Why? Where's L'ville going to go?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

At one time, wasn't the Louisville-Memphis rivalry as big or bigger than the Louisville-Cincy rivalry?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing future outlook for the BE at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=3501

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Louisville needs to learn to play nicely with their new conference mates. I don't understand why the Cardinals have a sudden superiority complex when they themselves are a mere 7 years removed from C-USA membership. You guys are right; the cardinals have no where to go right now so there's no need to appease them with a crazy division alignment that is ridiculous for poor Temple. You would think that a school that is in such a rush to join a conference that has 4 teams in Texas would volunteer to be in the West division to get a head start on recruiting.

Putting the 2 triads (UConn/Rutgers/Temple and Cincy/L'ville/Memphis) and 3 pairs together would be perfect because it keeps all the rivalries intact. That or swap Temple for Louisville in the announced division plan and make the Cincy vs Louisville game a protected crossover like the MAC did when they split up BG and Toledo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Cincy with comments from UC AD regarding BE status in new playoff setup starting in 2014 at http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012 ... sad-really

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I bet when Navy joins and if AFA is #14, Temple moves East, Navy & AFA in the West.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Who knows, now. If the Big East had an additional in on the system, it would have swayed AFA. Now, moving from the MWC to the Big East would be about the same as moving to the MAC or just staying put. The MWC is still a good conference with whom AFA has good relations with many of its members. Navy is on the schedule regardless, and whatever good pieces remain in the Big East are calling their contacts in other major conferences to get a share. By the time AFA were to join, the Big East that first approached them in '10 would look so dramatically different than the one entered. It's just not worth it.

If they do, it would be one of the biggest head-scratchers in football history...you turn down talks with the Big XII to do football in a commuter school league? Naw, I don't want Texas...give me Memphis! :?

As for the political matters clearly setting up the divisions, yes, Louisville is a part of it, but so is Cincinnati, and also likely DePaul, Marquette, and Villanova. I think we're seeing why conferences like the Great Midwest, Metro, and old C-USA never endured. Everyone has a feature-star mentality in an ensemble show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 349  Next