NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
My guess is that SDSU was dragging their feet a bit to see if they could get some definitive idea of the TV money they would get in the BE.

I think ultimately the BE TV contract will be more $, but SDSU really preferred their other high-profile sports in the MWC (as opposed to BW).
SDSU would also apparently share in a $24 million BCS payout for this one last year of the BCS (maybe split 10-12 ways = 2 million).
Were they going to have to pay an entry fee to BE that would offset some of that ? Maybe.

It appears that the reconfigured MWC and BE will be conferences 6a and 6b (on roughly equal footing in the new set-up).
SDSU apparently is deciding that the logistics of being in the conference that is really the better fit,
outweighs the marginally better (still unknown) payout from the Big East.

Assuming Houston & SMU choose to stay in the Big East, adding Tulsa & others get to 14 (eastern / central time zones).
MWC should target BYU and UTEP for 14 (hawaiian / pacific / mountain time zones).

CUSA is so picked over, they really aren't going to appear that superior to the Sun-Belt. Will they earn much TV money ?
Would Marshall / WKU be interested in looking at the MAC ?

Marshall and WKU to the MAC is an interesting proposition and certainly not out of the question. C-USA has lost most of its former glory and if UTEP and Tulsa leave Marshall will be one of just 4 members left from the 2005 C-USA. Marshall has some history with the MAC and I believe their was once a time when WKU was quietly campaigning for MAC inclusion for bb reasons. With this said, I think even this new C-USA is still more attractive television-wise than the MAC. MAC membership would certainly cut the travel expenditures of those two schools and is a far more stable conference. Another factor to consider is Middle Tennessee--WKU seems to have a budding rivalry with the Blue Raiders and I think they ultimately want to follow them to C-USA. C-USA East membership also means an annual trip to the Miami area so this too might swing WKU and Marshall towards C-USA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article reporting that MWC Presidents plan to vote on SDSU membership as early as today with continued admission expected.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -to-future

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... t/1839777/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I couldn't be happier with the MWC situation now.

There are a total of (3) California St. schools in FBS...and all 3 are in the Mountain West.
There are (2) FBS schools in Nevada...both in the MWC.
You have 2 of the 3 FBS schools in Colorado
You have 1 of 2 in NM
You have 1 of 2 from Idaho, with Boise St. being the better end for sure of that pair
You have 1 of 3 FBS schools in Utah
You have the lone Wyoming school
You a the lone Hawaii school even

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yes, the Pac 12 and MWC have neatly subdivided the entire western FBS scene - except for BYU. Any hopes of a revival of The Mountain or the ability to see the Pac 12 Networks in the east? Or even my Wyoming home for that matter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The proposed 12 team MWC sets itself up quite nicely for divisions and a championship games. The divisional setup can either be based on a North/East/Mountain – South/West/Pacific basis or “Original 6” – “Next 6”

OPTION #1
North/East/Mountain Division: Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Utah State, Wyoming

South/West/Pacific Division: Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose, UNLV

OPTION #2
“Original Six”: Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, Wyoming,

“Next Six”: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State

There is good balance in both alignments and the only drawback is that you determine permanent partners outside of Nevada-UNLV and San Diego State-Fresno State. Otherwise, it looks good and even allows for BYU and UTEP to slide back in at any time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

civilrat wrote:
The proposed 12 team MWC sets itself up quite nicely for divisions and a championship games. The divisional setup can either be based on a North/East/Mountain – South/West/Pacific basis or “Original 6” – “Next 6”

OPTION #1
North/East/Mountain Division: Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Utah State, Wyoming

South/West/Pacific Division: Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose, UNLV

OPTION #2
“Original Six”: Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, Wyoming,

“Next Six”: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose State, Utah State

There is good balance in both alignments and the only drawback is that you determine permanent partners outside of Nevada-UNLV and San Diego State-Fresno State. Otherwise, it looks good and even allows for BYU and UTEP to slide back in at any time.

I'm guessing that they will go with division names of "Mountain" and "West" ;)

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

civilrat wrote:

OPTION #1

OPTION #2

Geographically looks the best to me. Hawaii vs Cali/NV schools is perfect and Boise supplementing the East division that has no real solid fb schools works great too.

Ommitting PAC12 schools, the only way I could be happier with the MWC right now was if that snagged BYU/UTEP.

BYU/UTEP make the perfect 13/14. BYU/Utah St would further tie the MWC into SLC, UNM/UTEP would lock down NM/WestTX, along with the WYO/AFA/CSU trio that pretty good tavel partners.

And if the rumor was true that BYU was talking with Gonzaga about joinig to offset Hawaii's nonfb sports then this would be a home run. The Zags could partner with Boise as a travel partner and that would make the league the most competitive it could be w/o expanding into the central time zone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Reno with comments from MWC Commish regarding league meeting next week to discuss "possible" league expansion to 14 sometime after 2013-2014.Link at http://www.rgj.com/article/20130117/SPO ... nal-status

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Reno with comments from MWC Commish regarding league meeting next week to discuss "possible" league expansion to 14 sometime after 2013-2014.Link at http://www.rgj.com/article/20130117/SPO ... nal-status

"The 2013-14 MWC will include Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, New Mexico, Air Force, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado State, Utah State, San Jose State and Hawaii (in football only). Five of those 11 received Top 25 votes at some point last season (and three finished the season ranked), and seven of them appeared in a bowl game."

When did UNLV leave? Or was that on purpose since the paper is from Reno?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If BYU could be convinced to join bringing Gonzaga and another football program like UTEP would be awsome. The MWC would become the undisputed top basketball conference in the West. The WCC would no longer pose any threat to that claim with St Mary's being their lone elite program and the loss of BYU/'Zaga proably forces them to add Seattle/Denver which would lower their RPI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 pm 
Junior
Junior

I do not see BYU returning to the MWC. They are too happy trying to become the 'Notre Dame' of the west. Also, I am hearing rumors (- now these are rumors only!) that BYU is using it's TV network to project their religious program to the masses. (can anyone come up with some support or denial to this?)
This being the case? I see the MWC adding UTEP and Houston.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I do not see BYU returning to the MWC. They are too happy trying to become the 'Notre Dame' of the west. Also, I am hearing rumors (- now these are rumors only!) that BYU is using it's TV network to project their religious program to the masses. (can anyone come up with some support or denial to this?)
This being the case? I see the MWC adding UTEP and Houston.

Let me clarify. byuTV was created long before BYU went independent. It's purpose was to televise religious programming for Mormons throughout the US and abroad. When BYU decided to go independent they decided to hold on to their Tier 3 rights and air whatever games ESPN didn't pick up on the channel they already owned as it was already equipped to handle live HD broadcasts (i.e. daily services at the Mormon Temple). This worked nicely for BYU in two ways. Mormons who already subscribed to byuTV would be guaranteed that they could watch every BYU home game and non-Mormons who were fans of the visiting team who wanted to watch the game were exposed to byuTV. So it isn't as if its some evil Mormon conspiracy its just a matter of convenience that also fits into their church's missionary goals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

OFFICIAL MWC DIV

WEST
Fresno St.
SDSU
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Hawaii*
MT
Boise St.
Air Force
Colorado St.
Utah St.
Wyoming
New Mexico

Basketball(11) no div.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
OFFICIAL MWC DIV

WEST
Fresno St.
SDSU
SJSU
UNLV
Nevada
Hawaii*
MT
Boise St.
Air Force
Colorado St.
Utah St.
Wyoming
New Mexico

Basketball(11) no div.

Nice! What a comeback for the MWC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 61  Next