NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: CUSA Realignment
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tigersharktwo, there was comment made on ESPN that Rick Petino will get a surprise at the end of the season. Could this been an invite to the BE. You have a very good point. Dropping the divisions could make room for 15th team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:40 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Yeah I have heard that from several sources that Pitino is getting a susprise. Could it really be a move to the Big East. That would put them at nine. Is the Big East football and basketball schools going their seperate ways ? I think UL knows for sure and Cincy is just waiting for the invite to be delivered. Houston also has some serious prolbems in reading a artilce on them today so CUSA could be very different this time next year. We could be back to eight football teams and dont expect TCU USM USF Tulane to be too interested in visiting places like Marquette Army St Louis Depaul if Louisville and Cincy leave. I personally believe if Louisville and Cincy go CUSA will HAVE to reform for a more regional conference. I'd say look for a announcement on April 1 or shortly after concerning UL and UC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:36 am 
Junior
Junior

TEXTNah they are just throwing him a birthday party. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Found a rather interesting post from Killerfrogs.com's CUSA board (I like to venture over there a lot), and thought you might want to look at it, and then I want to share an idea that will be definitely shocking coming from a guy who is a fan of two BCS teams. :o :o ;D

Quote:

from MU88
Ok, Cap Pirate let me explain this again. The six conferences [BCS] negotiate a deal with ABC for $x (lets say 80 million) per year for 5 years. Adding the MWC, CUSA and the Liberty Bowl, ABC is only willing to play $83 million. Under the first scenario, each of the six conferences get $13+million per year. Under scenario two, each of the 8 conference get $10+ million per year. Hence, the six conferences lose money on scenario two. Bowl game attendance is irrelevant since such revenue pales in comparison to the tv revenue. Now, give me reason one reason why the Big 6 conferences should follow scenario two. It doesn't make financial sense. That is why everyone is not included.

This is the exact words of MU88 except what was in brackets. Granted, the grammar is kinda poor, (especially for a Marquette fan ::) ) but you get the general picture. However, for those of you familiar w/ finance and business, what does the tv contract look like to you? Compare it to, say the NFL's contract. The NFL has deals w/ CBS, ABC/ESPN, Fox, and I think they've still got a deal w/ TNT (don't know for sure about TNT though). The bulk of college football is televised by ABC/ESPN. Could we say that ABC/ESPN has a MONOPOLY on college football tv coverage? I think so!
I think the SEC figured this out a few years ago (ABC/ESPN used to televise many more SEC games than they do currently), and decided to take their contract to CBS, who was without football at the same time. Look at how the SEC has cashed in on that deal.
I think both the MWC and C-USA would be wise to approach NBC about a similar tv deal. Granted, NBC already has ND, but with no pro football, they might be willing to jump at televising some more college football games. This is the only way I can see C-USA and the MWC making the BCS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:50 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I was just wondering Wilkie had mentioned early on either the CUSA realignment thread or the Sunbelt thread about the MWC and CUSA schools merging to form a superconference ? I saw a Fresno State fan today on the WAC board post about how Fresno was trying to position themselves to become a member of this conference. This is would be a great conference and would have to be included into the BCS, I believed it was basically the MWC plus Fresno and Hawaii with Southern Miss Tulane TCU Louisville Marshall ECU Cincy La Tech or something like this (this isnt the exact alignment but what I could remember) this would also be great for attendance, someone like say BYU coming into town would draw better than say AMRY or someone of that nature.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:15 am 
Junior
Junior

The problem with this theory is that I dont Lousiville, and possibly Cinci will be in CUSA very long. U may even here about 1 going this year or at most 2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:55 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Knightgood, I disagree with you. Contrary to popular opinion on this board, I don't think Louisville and Cincy are going anywhere. However, I'm going to continue to let the Cardinal and Bearcat fans on this board continue to think that they're going to leave.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:06 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

;D Good, and I am going to let you think you are right, even though you are not!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:44 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I agree Dawg - Louisiville brings nothing to the table that these leagues don't already have. Football is okay, not great, and not much tradition or history; basketball has great tradition and history, but is no different than half a dozen teams in the big east. And Lou does it with nonqualifiers, transfers etc, something that many in the BE won't stomach and most in the ACC absolutely will not stomach.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here's an interesting statement I pulled off the Tribal Grounds (ASU) board

Quote:

LA Tech had a booster offer C-USA a couple of million to buy their way in and they were not interested... You could see some realigning soon with their new commish.

I guess from that, CUSA wasn't interested in La.Tech
So, from that, I think CUSA is going to do one of three things (or maybe a combination of two):
1. Invite Navy for the umpteenth time (Navy will turn down again, as usual.)
2. Invite Marshall. (Marshall has the fan support that La.Tech doesn't really have)
3. Wait and see if they can pick up a Big East member should the Big East fall apart (dependent on ND's actions, IMO).

Last edited by dawgnduckfan on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:51 am 
Senior
Senior

With all the rumors of the ACC trying to raid the BE, or the BE raiding the ACC, this thought might be fun. FSU and Miami(Fl) move to C-USA. If they timed it to coinside with the negoiations with the next BCS cycle, they would bring a BCS berth with them. C-USA would be better IN FB than either the ACC (without FSU) or the BE (without Miami). The ACC and BE would be on BCS probation.'

Catdaddy2402 would probably prefer the scenerio of Clemson, FSU and GT all going to C-USA, and taking the BCS bid with them. At that point, the ACC might not be able to recover.

This post probably belongs on the dream thread, but it is fun! ;)

FBfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FBfan, you may be on to something. What about this alignment:

Conf USA East: Miami, East Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Virginia Tech

Conf USA West: FSU, Memphis, UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane, TCU

Miami and FSU are both football schools and should be in the SEC. This really provides the SEC with two more 6 team divisions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Conf USA East: Miami, East Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Virginia Tech

Miami and FSU are both football schools and should be in the SEC. This really provides the SEC with two more 6 team divisions.

Lash, agreed, and it's interesting to note that the SEC did offer both Miami and FSU membership into the SEC. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Lash, agreed, and it's interesting to note that the SEC did offer both Miami and FSU membership into the SEC. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6