NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:57 pm 
Some of the comments concerning private vs. public should consider that classifications vary. This extends beyonds sectarian and non-sectarian colleges as well.

For example, Pennsylvania, comparatively, highly subsidizes private higher eduation in the Commonwealth. Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln are State Related insitutions, not state owned and operated. The State System of Higher Education (the Pennsylvania publically owned insitituions) has 14 Division II campuses. They are as follows: Bloomburg, IUP, Edinboro, California of PA. Shippensburg, Lock Haven, Mansfield, West Chester, Cheyney, Kutztown, E. Stroudsburg, and Millersville.

Penn State and the other State Related institutions, are technically private, are highly state subsidized, and have state representation on their Board of Trustees.

Those who term "Pitt" a city school, should note that association only due to location. Pitt has thriving branch campuses, notably the ones at Johnstown and Bradford. Penn State has multiple branch campuses throughout the Commonwealth.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Have any private schools upgraded to I-A since the creation of the I-A and I-AA classifications in 1978? I can think of multiple incidences of private schools leaving I-A (Villanova, Drake, Richmond, Colgate, the Ivy League, Furman, Pacific), but what about private schools joining I-A since 1978?

Upgrades since '78 (by conference)...

Akron 1987
Buffalo 2002
Cent. Fla 1996
(Marshall was originally 1A and went to 1AA and is now back)...
All of the MAC was briefly 1AA for one or two years back in 1982(?).

UConn 2002

UAB 1996
So.Fla 2001

Boise St. 1996
Nevada 1992

Idaho 1997
Mid.Tenn. 1999
Troy St. 2002

I believe none of these are truly all private, but am not familiar with all of them. Should answer Yungs question though (?)
;D 8-)