NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Sunbelt Realignment
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:15 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I personally think the Sunbelt is gonna come out or realignment alot stronger. Weather it is a combination of CUSA and WAC dying or just the WAC the sunbelt will be better I could only see Rice and SMU coming into the Belt though if other mid level teams come. Say Louisville and Cincy leave CUSA and that Fresno Hawaii and Boise leave WAC. Here is what I see forming the southern CUSA schools Tulane SMU RICE TCU Southern Miss ULL North Texas La Tech Arkansas State Memphis Middle Tennesse State Tulsa. This would be a good league not BCS but equal to the current WAC and better than the SBC. Would also cut down on travel expenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

The SunBelt is rapidly heading towards some of the same problems that are causing ripples in the Big East and C-USA. That is too many non-football schools in a conference that wants to have a football identity (albeit at different levels for each of the above named conferences).

Toppers' (and others) proposed switch with the WAC is a 4 for 3. A switch is only likely if both conferences suffer no loss of teams. I see this as a major impediment to the switch. The WAC is fearful of a drop of membership because they could lose Fresno, Boise, or Hawaii at any time to the MWC. They probably would only lose one of those schools (my guess is Hawaii) due to the current belief system in the MWC (smaller vs. larger expansion, if any), but with San Jose State on the bubble for 1AA compliance the WAC would be nervous about a loss of teams.

So, the switch is problematic for the WAC. At 1:1, which team stays in the WAC? Tulsa or La.Tech? (SMU and Rice may be a package).

Assuming the switch could occur as proposed at 4 for 3, now you have a 14 team SunBelt for basketball (allsports), from Miami to Denver. What do you do about this?

Wright Waters probably wants to make that switch, but if he does it probably won't be the end of SunBelt changes. He will have to look for a conference to take Denver...who?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:06 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Under your scenario, that is 1:1, I'd guess that UTEP would be the one to stay. They are the westernmost and the only one in the Mountain Time Zone.

There are several 'what ifs' to this situation though. Of course, first and foremost, the MWC must not take more than one team. Second, San Jose State and Idaho need to meet the qualifications and neither is a slam dunk. Then, if the MWC took only say Hawaii, then that would leave a conference of Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, Boise State, Utah State, New Mexico State and UTEP. Not a bad conference but they can't afford to lose a single member. Idaho could become a player in a conference like that. They averaged 25,000 year before last so they are capable of meeting all requirements. Something, would have to be done quickly however, since the Idaho Board of Education seems reluctant to fund travel to Florida, Alabama and Tennessee. I believe that they would approve membership in a truly western conference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Under your scenario, that is 1:1, I'd guess that UTEP would be the one to stay. They are the westernmost and the only one in the Mountain Time Zone.

There are several 'what ifs' to this situation though. Of course, first and foremost, the MWC must not take more than one team. Second, San Jose State and Idaho need to meet the qualifications and neither is a slam dunk. Then, if the MWC took only say Hawaii, then that would leave a conference of Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, Boise State, Utah State, New Mexico State and UTEP.

JFin, UTEP will not be in a conference w/ NM State. Trust me on this one. There is some major bad blood between those teams.
Daddywags, of Tulsa and LaTech, I see LaTech staying because LaTech wants to be with the Texas private schools, SMU and Rice. I don't see either bolting right now. Tulsa could bolt though, especially if there's a rift between Tulsa and the Texas privates.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
personally think the Sunbelt is gonna come out or realignment alot stronger. Weather it is a combination of CUSA and WAC dying or just the WAC the sunbelt will be better I could only see Rice and SMU coming into the Belt though if other mid level teams come. Say Louisville and Cincy leave CUSA and that Fresno Hawaii and Boise leave WAC. Here is what I see forming the southern CUSA schools Tulane SMU RICE TCU Southern Miss ULL North Texas La Tech Arkansas State Memphis Middle Tennesse State Tulsa. This would be a good league not BCS but equal to the current WAC and better than the SBC. Would also cut down on travel expenses.

Pour me a glass of what you're drinking. That would be a dream come true.

http://forums.delphifourms.com/SBCsports/start

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:37 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

[quote author=DawgNDuckFan link=board=general&thread=1036345221&start=63#4 date=1047153450]
JFin, UTEP will not be in a conference w/ NM State. Trust me on this one. There is some major bad blood between those teams.
DawgNDuck,

I understand what you are saying about NMSU and UTEP. I've heard that many times before. I don't know for sure where it came from but most often told story is that the feud originated with the ADs.

First, remember that the two have been in the same conference before (back in the old Border Conference days).

The second point is that they do play each other in other sports, especially basketball. They are cut from the same cloth...both have had rather weak football and strong basketball. When they do play football, it is often the best attended game for either home team.

Third, and most important, petty jealousies will soon be out the window. Previously, independents could survive without a conference. Now, because of scheduling, maybe Notre Dame and Navy of the current indys could do that but that's not a given. There must be eight or more full-member teams in a conference beginning in a couple of years. So, say the MWC decides to add four teams from the WAC, and UTEP is not one of them, where do they go? The closest conference possibility is the merger of the eastern WAC teams and the Sun Belt.

Would UTEP decide to go indy just because New Mexico State was in the Belt? I realize that they might not want to, but if that is their only source of a conference home (highly likely), then I believe that they would choose to join.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:14 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Personally, I'd like to see a couple of schools removed from the Sunbelt and replaced with more regional candidates:

Football/Eventual All-Sports members:

SBC Football:
Arkansas State
La Lafayette
Middle Tenn. St.
New Mexico State
North Texas
Idaho
Utah State

Non-Football:
New Orleans
Arkansas LR
Western Kentucky

Who to consider replacing?
Denver: why bother keeping the fanless school around
Florida Intl: Florida-to-Idaho is just too much travel for everyone. Drop the one not in 1A football.
South Alabama: good history but has dropped any attempts for football. With the future seeming to be coming from the mississippi to the west, it's time to cut ties with the east.

Who to consider adding for non-football sports?

Any WAC team: doubt they'd want to make the move, but it could happen. I'd think that a larger east-west swap would be more practical, but very unlikely.

MVC teams: The MVC is looked at as a better conference by many than the Sunblet for basketball, so even the MVC is a stretch.

So when all is said and done, what would be easiest?

SBC Football:
Arkansas State
La Lafayette
Middle Tenn. St.
New Mexico State
North Texas
Idaho
Utah State
*Troy State

Non-Football:
New Orleans
Arkansas LR
Western Kentucky
South Alabama

Overall Divisions:

WEST:
Idaho
Utah State
New Mexico State
North Texas
Arkansas State
Arkansas LR

EAST:
*Troy State
South Alabama
Middle Tenn. St.
Western Kentucky
New Orleans
La Lafayette

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:23 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

But ideally, certain school slike Rice and SMU could put aside certain beleifs, and make the move to join up with more regional schools. ...

WAC: 8 all sport members
Idaho
Boise State
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
Nevada
Utah State
UTEP

SBC: 10 football/2 non-football
New Mexico State
Rice
SMU
North Texas
Tulsa
Arkansas State
La Lafayette
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tenn. St.
Troy State
*New Orleans
*Western Kentucky

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see a couple of schools removed from the Sunbelt and replaced with more regional candidates:

Football/Eventual All-Sports members:

SBC Football:
Arkansas State
La Lafayette
Middle Tenn. St.
New Mexico State
North Texas
Idaho
Utah State

Non-Football:
New Orleans
Arkansas LR
Western Kentucky

Who to consider replacing?
Denver: why bother keeping the fanless school around

I agree, and you have to wonder why Denver was picked up to begin with!! The Denver AD or SID himself said that Denver supports hockey a lot better than it does basketball. So why DU ???

Quote:

Florida Intl: Florida-to-Idaho is just too much travel for everyone. Drop the one not in 1A football.

FIU plans to go I-A soon. They have a I-AA team right now with plans to move up. I'm willing to be patient with them some.

Quote:

South Alabama: good history but has dropped any attempts for football. With the future seeming to be coming from the mississippi to the west, it's time to cut ties with the east.

Umm, S. Alabama has been around awhile, and I personally wouldn't mind seeing them stay. They have good fan support and a media presence in the Mobile area.

Quote:

Who to consider adding for non-football sports?

Any WAC team: doubt they'd want to make the move, but it could happen. I'd think that a larger east-west swap would be more practical, but very unlikely.

MVC teams: The MVC is looked at as a better conference by many than the Sunblet for basketball, so even the MVC is a stretch.

So when all is said and done, what would be easiest?

SBC Football:
Arkansas State
La Lafayette
Middle Tenn. St.
New Mexico State
North Texas
Idaho
Utah State
*Troy State

Non-Football:
New Orleans
Arkansas LR
Western Kentucky
South Alabama

WKU plans to go I-A soon, but they have made it known that they aren't too happy with the 'Belt. I'd say force WKU to make a decision: are you in or are you out? The only team besides my Trojans I'd consider inviting right now would be North Carolina A&T when they move up or FIU. FIU is a shoe-in for membership once they move up to I-A in football.
Agree with trying to add some WAC teams, but I doubt the proposed swap will happen. What is more likely to happen, as indicated Bronco85 in the WAC thread, is that the WAC will split, and 4 WAC schools will join the MWC. The eWAC schools will have to fend for themselves. A swap just recreates the Big West Football Conference which was a bad idea, regardless of Utah State's opinion on the subject. If the Big West was so hot, how come Fresno bolted to join the WAC? And why did SJSU, UNLV, UNR, and BSU follow FSU out of the Big West, if it was a good conference??? I think the MWC will be expanding to 12, and it's just a matter of time, whether USU likes it or not.

Overall Divisions:

WEST:
Idaho
Utah State
New Mexico State
North Texas
Arkansas State
Arkansas LR

EAST:
*Troy State
South Alabama
Middle Tenn. St.
Western Kentucky
New Orleans
La Lafayette
[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:47 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
I agree, and you have to wonder why Denver was picked up to begin with!! The Denver AD or SID himself said that Denver supports hockey a lot better than it does basketball. So why DU

I heard that Denver's appeal was that there were contacts with a major airline and a major sports network. If this materialized, I haven't heard anything about it. They don't play either football or baseball. Their strong suit is academics. No exceptions are made for the atheletes.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SBCsports/start

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

CalCajun,

Whatever Denver's appeal was at the time, they appear to be an impediment in this mix.
They look like a candidate for the Mid-Con Conference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

after the shake out is all done I think the sunbelt may very well just wilt on the vine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Knightgood, you seem convinced that a shakeout will occur, but I have serous doubts about it occurring at all. I do see Clemson possibly changing conferences, and ND finally joining a conference, as well CUSA picking up a twelfth member, but other than that, I really don't see anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:43 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Posted by: knightgood Posted on: 04/07/2003 at 19:01:42
after the shake out is all done I think the sunbelt may very well just wilt on the vine.

I would like to see a shake-out by July 1st, and a lot of people seem to think it's going to happen, but I think it's possible that the only change this Summer is that the Sun Belt adds Idaho and Troy State for all sports. The SBC is the only one that doesn't have 8 all-sports schools meeting the new 1-A requirements, so they are the only ones that have to act immediately.

Probably there will be a shake-out eventually, but the conferences and schools have the opportunity to wait and come up with a permanent realignment rather than a temporary one. I wish the Sun Belt had that luxury.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:28 am 
Junior
Junior

as the cajun said a change has to happen in the sunbelt. they have to have 8 all sports schools. before very long a number of schools will have to go 1aa in football. at least 3 or 4 from mac. 1 or 2 from sunbelt. possibly 1 or 2 from cusa. once this happens a realignment will have to happen. hopefully we will end up with 1 less conference.. and the survivers will be stronger and more regional. This will make for better rivals and less travel expense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next