Sophomore

Did not know about Pepperdine...Huh ???

Also soory about the confusion Gumby. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:40 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Okay VandalFan, SCVD:

First, the WAC is not going to take Idaho unless it absolutely has to. Nothing breeds instability in a conference like a team that may lose its 1-A status. Idaho needs a plan besides Martin Stadium or the Kiddie Dome. Besides could the recent Coug success be a reason for the Idaho downfall? As has been pointed out its only 8 miles away. Why attend a losing Sunbelt game when you can see a contending Pac-10 game.

Gumby, I agree that Idaho will only get into the WAC if it loses teams to CUSA or MWC. I think that Idaho will meet its I-A status. The average attendance was over 23,000 when we played in Martin Stadium. People liked the outdoor venue much better than the Kibbie Dome. We always alternate with WSU's schedule and frankly there isn't much else to do on the Palouse on a Saturday!

I think that IF Idaho gets into the WAC, and I understand that is a BIG IF, we will have good success. We should make our attendance by playing at Martin Stadium and then work towards either 1. adding a horshshoe to the Kibbie Dome (from 16,000 to 24,500) or 2. adding an outdoor stadium (30,000). I prefer option 2. as I think football should be played outside.

If Idaho doesn't get into the WAC, given the alternative of the Sun Belt and the high travel cost$, we should move back down to 1-AA where there are no attendance requirements. I don't think that UI will move back down. Sadly enough we will continue to drudge along as a bottom feeder in 1-A.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

Slight change in topic... but most of the talk on the ND thread is how ND needs to join a conference, that the days of the independant college are coming to a close...but what about Hawai'i? 8-)

Could Hawai'i survive as an indy? I would think they could schedule a hell of a lot of home games. That would drastically cut travel expenses. Probably even to the point where they could even subsidize some incoming travel for some schools (Army?, Navy?).

They've got to be at least considering this in case the WAC gets raided by the MWC...Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:40 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Slight change in topic... but most of the talk on the ND thread is how ND needs to join a conference, that the days of the independant college are coming to a close...but what about Hawai'i? 8-)

Could Hawai'i survive as an indy? I would think they could schedule a hell of a lot of home games. That would drastically cut travel expenses. Probably even to the point where they could even subsidize some incoming travel for some schools (Army?, Navy?).

They've got to be at least considering this in case the WAC gets raided by the MWC...Thoughts?

I think that Hawaii would do great as an Independent. Many schools would want to travel there as an extra game (NCAA allows for one extra when scheduling Hawaii). Also, Hawaii wouldn't have to travel too much. They could go to some Western Schools and wouldn't have to travel to Texas or LA Tech.

I think that Army, Navy, Notre Dame and Hawaii could all survive as independents. BTW, does anyone know what happens to Temple when they leave [get kicked out of] the Big East?