NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Vandal,
Idaho will most certainly get a looksee from the WAC no matter which WAC+MWC+C-USA scenarios play out.
In most if not all scenarios N. Texas is probably the first pick for WAC expansion. If two are needed then it would probably be something like
N. Texas and N. Arizona
N. Texas and Idaho
Montana and Montana St.

Other schools under consideration are probably
UC Davis
Cal Poly-SLO
Sacramento St.
Portland St.

I personaly would like to see the WAC stay at 9 all sports and add one non FB school, preferably Pepperdine.

So you could end up with something like
Fresno St.
HI
Boise
Nevada
UTEP
SJSU
USU
NMSU
N. Arizona / Idaho / N. Texas
Pepperdine (non FB)

This would be great for FB sched. and travel partners for all other sports.

Partners could be
SJSU / HI
Boise / Idaho
UTEP / NMSU
FS / Pepperdine
Nevada / USU

If it were N. Arizona instead of Idaho the partners would be easy to switch up and would make just as much sense. N. Texas would be a tougher fit but could be done.

This conference would be strong in all 3 major mens sports and most others, Volleyball, Wrestling, etc...

If the prseidents read this board, please make this happen.

Last edited by socalvalleydog on Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:04 pm 
Junior
Junior

SoCalValleyDog, thanks for the reply!

At least someone takes Idaho's chances semi-seriously.

I like the idea of adding Pepperdine. That would give the WAC a very nice addition in Men's BB. They would love to be in the WAC, I'm sure. More exposure than the league they are in right now with Gonzaga.

Don't you think Boise State will get consideration from MWC? If not for the whole program, even if the decision is only based on Football success?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:52 pm 
Okay, and then Penn goes to the A-10.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

Okay VandalFan, SCVD:

I can see both of your points as , unbelieveably enough, I have attended both Idaho and Fresno St., but this is NOT gonna happen.

First, the WAC is not going to take Idaho unless it absolutely has to. Nothing breeds instability in a conference like a team that may lose its 1-A status. Idaho needs a plan besides Martin Stadium or the Kiddie Dome. Besides could the recent Coug success be a reason for the Idaho downfall? As has been pointed out its only 8 miles away. Why attend a losing Sunbelt game when you can see a contending Pac-10 game.

Second, as much as I hate to agree with this loser who has been posting lately under various names, Pepperdine joining the WAC is bb only is just plain stupid. I fthere is one conference that is more into its "true" collegiate purpose (read stuffiness) it is the West Coast Conference. Why would Pepperdine leave this group of highly respected private schools for the likes of SJSU, FSU, et.al.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:16 pm 
If the University of Pacific were to want back in--obviously a big if--would the WCC be interested? I would also suggest the University of Denver, but distance is probably too much of an issue. Also, I believe that another former WCC member, Seattle, is now in D-II after a stint in the NAIA, some two decades after having left the conference. Not sure if that is an indication of further things to come or not, but apt to think that it is not...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:30 pm 
"I fthere is one conference that is more into its "true" collegiate purpose (read stuffiness) it is the West Coast Conference."

Ironically enough WCC didn't start out this way, it "evolved." San Jose State was one of the founding fathers, and UNLV was still a member (1970-1976) when Tark started his tenure there. If I recall correctly, UC-Santa Barbara, Fresno State, and Nevada are also former members...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

The WCC hasn't changed in 25 years. Only the Pac-10 and Ivy League have gone longer without change. This is a private school confernce that enjoys its status, pepperdine is not going to join Fresno State, San Jose State, and Boise State and leave Gonzaga, Loyola Marymount, and the Univ. of San Francisco, for a state school dominated 2nd tier conference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:04 am 
membeship in the current West Coast Conference (formerly West Coast Athletic Conference, originally California Basketball Association) hasn't changed since 1980, when Seattle left. Also, there is the matter of San Francisco terminating and later reinstating its program for a period during the mid-1980s. Seriously though, what about Pacific? Once Idaho joins the Sun Belt as a full-member (sucks for them) the Big West will be an all-California conference, as it was originally, however, Pacific will be the only private school, surrounded by UCs and Cal States. The only reason UOP left the WCC in the first place was to have a home for their football program, but now PCAA/Big West football and UOP football are now bygone relics...would either party be interested or should it be...two more conference games wouldn't seem like that much of a burden, and I am sure UOP would feel more comfortable with its brethren...I'm just curious as to whether or not there is ill-will or bad blood precluding such a move from ever taking place...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:24 am 
Senior
Senior

UOP would be a natural for the WCC...but we digress from the theme of this thead...good sparring with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:04 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Digressing, but UOP and UCSB both wanted in the WCC a couple years ago, but they said no. The reason given was that the WCC was happy where they were at and they were all religious based schools, while UOP is private and UCSB is state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:03 am 
I want to say Lutheran or Methodist...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:58 am 
Senior
Senior

UOP was founded as a Wesleyan School, but is mostly secular now...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:36 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Let me just say that I DO NOT THINK Pepperdine would move to the WAC. I am merely stating what I would like to see happen for the WAC, nothing more nothing less. It would work out great for the WAC if Pepperdine did join, but I do realize it is very very unlikely.
Also I do not post under any other names, so if another user has mentioned this I can assure you it was not I.
Also I believe Pepperdine is the only school in the WCC that is not religious based.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

Also I believe Pepperdine is the only school in the WCC that is not religious based.

Dog,

Pepperdine is Church of Christ.
It would be more accurately stated that "Pepperdine is the only non-Catholic WCC member" ;)
They are MOST definitely "religious-based".

Gumby's earlier "rip" was directed at the former Publius who now bops in out of this thread under all sorts of monikers relative to the given discussion at hand.
He seems reticent to join for some reason.
It is a little irritating because you are not totally certain who you are speaking with, but the dripping sarcasm sprinkled amongst the cogent points is usually a dead giveaway.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

ValleyDog, Sorry for the misunderstanding. I really wasn't referencing you with that "loser" remark. Also, I don't mean to put down the WAC or Fresno State. Actually, I have a fondness for them both. Tou see, I guess I could go by the moniker of "NWValleyDog" if I'd thought of it. California State University-Fresno Class of 1987 and proud of it! Its just as much as I would like to think everybody in the NCAA would love to play ball with the Bulldogs, truth is in academics, social standing, and program integrity, FSU doesn't stack up with the Pac-10 or WCC :'(...Now if it were pure athletics?... 8-)

I just find myself hoping the MWC places more importance on the last point.

Lastly, being a newbie, I didn't recognize Publius in his alias form, but he is fun to spar with. ;D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next