NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:21 pm 
Senior
Senior

La Tech is probably going to be the school that CUSA has to invite. If the Big East gets South Florida and UCF, CUSA will be forced to take someone thats within their footprint. The best choice in the area would be LA TECH. None of the sunbelt schools would be top choices.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

thats exactly what i was thinking. the big east will grab usf for full membership and ucf for partial, which means theyll stay in the asun until the big east splits, and to calm tulanes fears, they will be placed in opposite divisions.

west
tulane
tulsa
rice
smu
tcu
houston

east
la tech
memphis
ecu
uab
southern miss
marshall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:56 pm 
For Central Florida's sake they should ignore overtures from the BIG EAST that are only offering associate membership and join C-USA (assuming USF leaves).

On another note, Karl Benson says that WAC is currently considering all of the current football members of the Sun Belt Conference. That sounds all well and good, but why did he mention Louisiana-Monroe, and Idaho, but neglect to mention Troy State? Does he just want to make an already bad situation worse or is he just generalizing and hasn't researched the issue lately?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:11 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
For Central Florida's sake they should ignore overtures from the BIG EAST that are only offering associate membership and join C-USA (assuming USF leaves).

On another note, Karl Benson says that WAC is currently considering all of the current football members of the Sun Belt Conference. That sounds all well and good, but why did he mention Louisiana-Monroe, and Idaho, but neglect to mention Troy State? Does he just want to make an already bad situation worse or is he just generalizing and hasn't researched the issue lately?

If all the sunbelt teams are considered the WAC will have to change its name. They will have to be named The Coast to Coast Conference. San Jose ST at Troy State would be a great game ;) ;D Florida A&M and Florida International i think are wanting to be members of the Sunbelt. The travel would be enormous for them being in the WAC. they would be foolish to even think of joining.

Last edited by arpmany on Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

If all the sunbelt teams are considered the WAC will have to change its name. They will have to be named The Coast to Coast Conference.

I love the name, Arpmany. ;D ;D 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:59 pm 

Quote:
I agree Javaman, but I think the new CUSA West will be a Mid-major at best!

Which is exactly what louisville, dollar for dollar the greatest underachiever in the ncaa, is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:04 pm 
And Wilkie, shouldn't you be extolling the virtues of your new league, instead of pounding on teams - teams, which by the way actually have some semblance of academic integrity for their athletes (in stark, stark contrast to prop-city louisville) and who actually have won major bowls (while they were major) and finished in the top 10 not once but several times in their history (mid major louisville scores a big GOOSEGG in the top 10 department).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:58 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
And Wilkie, shouldn't you be extolling the virtues of your new league, instead of pounding on teams - teams, which by the way actually have some semblance of academic integrity for their athletes (in stark, stark contrast to prop-city louisville) and who actually have won major bowls (while they were major) and finished in the top 10 not once but several times in their history (mid major louisville scores a big GOOSEGG in the top 10 department).

No, guys like you live in the past. I live in the present!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
thats exactly what i was thinking. the big east will grab usf for full membership and ucf for partial, which means theyll stay in the asun until the big east splits, and to calm tulanes fears, they will be placed in opposite divisions.

west
tulane
tulsa
rice
smu
tcu
houston

east
la tech
memphis
ecu
uab
southern miss
marshall

USF is gone to BE and C-USA wants both Marshall and UCF from the MAC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

but i think ucf will bide its time as a fb only member until the big east ultimately spilts apart in 2005 (pure speculation on my part). with no ucf cusa will have to take la tech as they are the only other viable option.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

west
tulane
tulsa
rice
smu
tcu
houston

You are counting on TCU, Houston, and Tulane not jumping to the MWC. Word is TCU will have an invite very soon and that the MWC is courting the other two. If they go...well, get the respirator, the CUSA's failing fast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:24 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Hi virginian, welcome to the discussion...

I've heard reports of MWC interest in TCU, but the information on the others is new to many of us. Could you clarify whether this is your opinion or "take" (which is perfectly fine), or whether you base this view on actual reports you have read, and if so, post any links you might wish to share?

Thanks for any clarification...

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:50 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
but i think ucf will bide its time as a fb only member until the big east ultimately spilts apart in 2005 (pure speculation on my part). with no ucf cusa will have to take la tech as they are the only other viable option.

Although Louisiana Tech has earned their stripes to be in CUSA, I can't see UCF passing up an all-sports arrangement with CUSA for a football-only spot in the Big East. Being a one-sport member in a conference is the pits, because you never develop a relationship with your opponents and are always considered a stepchild. Remember, UCF is in the Atlantic Sun for the other sports and has a 5,000-seat basketball arena. If they can find a home for those other sports they'd better take it. Marshall saw the light and I think UCF will too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
You are counting on TCU, Houston, and Tulane not jumping to the MWC. Word is TCU will have an invite very soon and that the MWC is courting the other two. If they go...well, get the respirator, the CUSA's failing fast.

Welcome to the fray, Virginian, and allow me to echo the questions by Javaman. Having not heard any discussion of Houtson or Tulane jumping to the MWC, this concept surprises me completely. Tulane will rediscover their athletics, but not at the expense of their academic status and reputation. And while maintaining an affiliation with TCU (and serving as a travel partner for them) may soften the concept of them switching conferences, it seems more unlikely now with the additional Texas schools coming to CUSA from the WAC.

Further, the articles posted on this board indicate the MWC is thinking of only adding 1 school, two at best, with Boise and Fresno St. leading the pack after TCU. The prospect of schools moving to either CUSA or the MWC is to abandon the geographic disparity that plagued the WAC. Should those three schools join the MWC, you'd essentially be recreating that same problem, IMO.

Granted, I wouldn't put it past these conferences to do anything, based upon some actions already taken! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next