NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UTEP ain't happening.

They can't deliver the Sun Bowl. CBS has had that game forever, and they'll drop it stat if the bowl drops either the Big 10 or Pac 10 for MWC. Think about what games the major networks actually show...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:54 pm 
UTEP delivers the Sun Bowl just as Tulane delivers the Sugar Bowl, Central Florida delivers the [Florida Citrus] and Tangerine Bowls, and South Florida delivers the [Hall of Fame] Bowl...it's too bad those bowls aren't nearly as prestigious as the Hawaii Bowl, Silicon Valley Classic, Las Vegas Bowl, Humanitarian Bowl, Houston Bowl, Motor City Bowl, and New Orleans Bowl. I especially envy the prestige associated with the Humanitarian Bowl, Motor City Bowl, and New Orleans Bowl. Those are just some classy events.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Good point, OIBTD, or is it Pub?

Nevertheless, local fans are more likely to attend a bowl if a team from their own conference is involved. And conference fans travel well to a bowl within a days driving distance. That was the whole rationale of the SugarBowl and CottonBowl in the old days.

Am reading other reports today buried in other news stories that rumors are now leaning to two teams, and one report somewhere indicated Houston was in the mix now as well. Any knowledgeable Houston fans tuned in to the media there?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:33 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Boy, I'm so much of a font of wisdom I surprise myself sometimes (grin)...

I always had a suspicion our esteemed arcane erstwhile and well-read archivist would reincarnate as a shakespearean character perhaps, or perhaps a hero from the french tragedie lyrique. Never did I dream he could double as my shadow from a slider world whose only difference with ours is a certain german habit of capitalizing nouns too much...

To be reincarnated as the javaman's capital shadow perhaps also implies familiarity with a much stronger version of brew than my own humble diner brew, perhaps a reverse slider version called Skcubrats popularized in Elttaes...

Appreciate your wisdom and subtle satire...
Just don't get carried away...(grin)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last edited by javaman on Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:52 pm 
In case you hadn't noticed all my posts know generally use different names and are somewhat relevant to the subject matter posted...if you are really that concerned, it should give you piece of mind that I was blocked from posting as "javaman" (guest)...but now that I think about it, what's up with your typos lately? Is it time to switch to Red Bull?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:54 pm 
...used your moniker for nefarious purposes, but chose not to do so...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Weirdos indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:20 pm 
settling on a new moniker of my own was attempted, but I realized that in doing so I would be wasting even more of my own much needed time. I would have liked to have been "deus ex machina" on a permanent basis, though...this way, I am being less sacrilegious and less arrogant...anyway, most of this stuff is so repetitive that the information aspect has eroded to such a point that this has primarily become a form of cheap entertainment and distraction, which is what it always should have been and should forever be...I'm sure there will be further "expository venting" at some point, but don't really have the time right now...(but somehow I typed all of this out?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:30 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

No insider info, but the media in Houston has not said anything about the Houston to MWC rumour. I think its totally somebody's imagination.

TCU obviously is considering MWC if offered. Amazing, their ego has gotten as big as UH with 4 good years. UH told TCU, SMU and Rice to take a hike in '94. And UH fell flat on their face. TCU doesn't have much recent history of success. Except for the last 4 years, 1 year in the 90's, 1 in the 80's, they have been horrible since they lost their longtime coach in the mid-60's.

TCU AD says long-term revenue and stability are important. The new CUSA is the most stable conference after the big 5. Sure, they might eventually lose some eastern schools to BE, but the western division isn't going anywhere, and the BE doesn't have room for all the eastern division.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:42 am 
Now surely Houston has had their rough spots since the Southwest Conference dissolved, but not much more so than Rice and especially SMU. Houston was ahead of its time in realizing that the uber-WAC was fraught with potential for ultimate fragmentation. Also, unlike Rice and SMU, Houston has appeared in a bowl since 1984 (SMU) or the Eisenhower administration (Rice). UH won the first C-USA football title and also had another decent run (7-4) a couple of years back (but Kim Helton was fired nonetheless). I will admit that I sort of view Houston as the "Louisville of the Southwest" in terms of past successes and an assumption that those successes are still readily applicable...well, and of course there is the urban setting and the perceptions regarding academics...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UH has probably had the worst fan support in bb over the last 5 years and no success. SMU and Rice have haven't had much in bb, but they haven't done any worse than they did in the SWC. TCU has done well in both the last few years.

UH had the two good years. Rice has been a contender about every other year. No bowls, but it has to do with the small alumni base. Rice has done better in the head-to-head series since UH won the CUSA. TCU has done well. SMU has done poorly, but they draw as well as UH. TCU and Rice draw better.

I stand by UH fell flat on its face. They were light years ahead of the other 3 programs in 1991. The last coach got fired after 3 years, because the AD couldn't convince him he had to win IMMEDIATELY or UH would have to drop football. They are in a desperate financial position. If they don't turn things around fast (things are positive based on this year), Art Briles will be UH's last football coach. The AD has been very blunt about their situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:30 am 
Ah yes, but 1991 was not the last year of the Southwest Conference...and UH was coming off of probation at the time. Basically, what I am trying to say is that it is arguable that they were ever really "standing" sufficient to fall flat on their face. The Pardee-Jenkins years did not exactly provide a stable foundation for the future, three consecutive years ranked in the final AP notwithstanding. By 1991, everyone realized the gig was up (i.e. the Red-Gun offense...or whatever it was called). That Miami game was all that needed to be said, although I believe that Thursday night expose was preceded by a thrashing at the hands of Illinois.

I can't defend the basketball program...was too young for Guy Lewis-era but can't say I remember anything of note in last 10-15 years other than the Clyde Drexler "experiment" with its "legacy" players. Wasn't there some year (last days of SWC) where they were regular-season champion yet didn't receive an NCAA invite?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:48 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
According to this story, there is a great likelihood MWC will make an invite to TCU after all, and TCU may very well accept.

If this is true and does happen, it is a major attempt by MWC to become BCS-worthy, premised on the fact it would be gaining both one of the highest-rated non-BCS football programs, as well as entering the Texas market. It would be the "BC" move for the MWC, and I still am a little sceptical of the geography of the thing, but in this new day and age when tv markets enhance the conference's value, perhaps it makes sense. Texas is also recruiting ground for NewMexico and ColoradoState.

It also would be a major blow to CUSA stability again, just after Rice/Tulsa/SMU cast their lot with the CUSA. MWC must think WAC is already in trouble, this puts CUSA further in the hole at the expense of MWC. Stay tuned to see if it really happens:

:D

Unless the MWC is prepared to go to 12 teams (which according to RD of UNM is not likely) I think this is a bad move for TCU.

Who is the MWC football wise? BYU? When did they last finish the season in the top 10? The MWC is a handful of non-descript teams good enough to knock off a top 25 caliber team. (Might as well join the MAC!) How is that good for TCU? TCU is a market and recent football success. That's it! Joining the MWC opens up their recruiting ground to more teams, which can only erode their talent level.

If TCU wants to be UNM or Colorado St.----if that is their goal---then by all means join the MWC.

Does anyone think a 9 team MWC (current teams +TCU) or a 10 team MWC (current teams +TCU & Boise St.) is going to be any closer to a BCS bid?

To me, That's no better than the old WAC, with TCU filling the BYU role.

Now if they want to go to 12 teams and add TCU plus UTEP, Fresno, and Hawaii/Boise St.), now maybe I can see the winner of their champioship game getting a BCS at large bid on a consistent basis until it more or less was made official, but shy of that the negatives far outweigh the positives.

I heard TCU Coach Gary Patterson talking about the options facing TCU a few weeks ago when the decision appeared to be between the WAC and C-USA. At the time he expressed a strong preference for C-USA because the games kick off earlier and as such get more media exposure than west coast games.

If he views the competition in the MW as I do I would doubt he supports a move to the MWC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Of the myriad of news stories out there this morning, the only substantive thing appears to be that Thompson is now publicly recommending expansion.
The SaltLakeTribune story probably provides the most info, including the likelihood it will either be one or two schools, with TCU and Boise likely to get the invites. Wonder if TCU would get invite without there being strong assurance it would be accepted. Story from Dallas suggests TCU people have crunched financial numbers and it looks better in MWC long-term, but the AD and coach favor C-USA. I personally don't think TCU will get the public invite unless there is private assurance it will be accepted first, and thus all cards are being held close to the vest until everyone is on the same page.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Nov/11052003/sports/108328.asp

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next