NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:22 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Gumby, I like your third scenario also, and can't for the life of me think why they would want to settle for a single school, and go back to three time zones again. That was one of the problems when the MWC schools were in the old WAC--lack of contiguity, difficult fan bases to share, dispersed marketing... It may work for PAC10 or ACC, but where MWC is at (nonBCS), its better to expand tightly, especially when quality schools are available contiguously...

:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As per my previous posts....

I thought something was fishy about the MWC/TCU news. Craig Thompson is now disputing it:

http://www.denverpost.com/cda/article/print/0,1674,36%7E6437%7E1714291,00.html

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
As per my previous posts....

I thought something was fishy about the MWC/TCU news. Craig Thompson is now disputing it:

http://www.denverpost.com/cda/article/print/0,1674,36%7E6437%7E1714291,00.html

8-)

It seems to make no sense for TCU as far as travel, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here's a good take on why the MWC's patience and deliberate style is a good thing, and why WAC may be blowing it, instead of taking the time to sort things out...

http://www.fresnobee.com/columnists/branch/story/7632133p-8538983c.html

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

in the wac's defense, their really isnt that much time for patience, they needed at least one more member now. two more members is ideal b/c as a 9 team conference everyone will have at least 4 home games guaranteed. the mwc has time to be patient because it is extremely stable, the wac does not have the benefit of stability and must act quickly to save itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

Agree with the Hawk here!!! :D

MWC can AFFORD to be patient.
WAC CANNOT!

Actually in looking at what has transpired, the WAC has invited the two most logical candidates on board. Utah St. and New Mex.St. fit the geography, aren't on the cusp of success for 1A criteria, and were distinctly the best options out there for the WAC.

Notice Idaho was NOT invited...yet.

The WAC is on a wait and see for the MWC to makes it move to determine what it does next.
The columnist of the Bee is full of cr*p! :o

The current actions of the WAC are bold and not a foolish over-reaction.
This could save the WAC because it gives them an upper hand on the SunBelt! They may have already had this, but this move assures it, and doesn't take it for granted.
8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

the wac needed to expand-FACT.

it wasnt going to get a mwc or pac 10 team, the only teams it was going to get were sunbelt teams. instead of delaying it and studying and studying the situation, karl benson and the wac skipped the politics and did what had to be done. utah st. and new mexico st. were the expected additions anyway, so why not go ahead and make it official. i wish all the conferences were like this. kudos to karl benson for skipping the politics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Agree with the Hawk here!!! :D

MWC can AFFORD to be patient.
WAC CANNOT!

Actually in looking at what has transpired, the WAC has invited the two most logical candidates on board. Utah St. and New Mex.St. fit the geography, aren't on the cusp of success for 1A criteria, and were distinctly the best options out there for the WAC.

Notice Idaho was NOT invited...yet.

The WAC is on a wait and see for the MWC to makes it move to determine what it does next.
The columnist of the Bee is full of cr*p! :o

The current actions of the WAC are bold and not a foolish over-reaction.
This could save the WAC because it gives them an upper hand on the SunBelt! They may have already had this, but this move assures it, and doesn't take it for granted.
8-)

I agree with you. The WAC will end up as a regional conference if they can get rid of La Tech. Too bad some other conferences I can think of have lost their regional flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

According to the sources in Fresno, there is a possibility MWC may make some noises in about three weeks or so:

http://www.fresnobee.com/columnists/branch/story/7637246p-8543696c.html

8-)

5pm. Here is a link that is a very good overview of the situation, the view from Albuquerque, and it puts the timetable to "by christmas". This includes good analysis of each of the possibilities, still including TCU (I go back and forth on the wisdom of this--you would almost need UTEP or another Texas school to provide a natural rival), and indicates WAC schools are apparently calling individual MWC schools to try to move up. They are sensing the quality of the WAC is going down. Very interesting.

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/sports03/102403_sports_mwc.shtml

Last edited by javaman on Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:15 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I find it interesting that people are saying the WAC just got weaker. How is bringing in USU and NMS weaker than Tulsa, SMU and Rice.

Rice - Excellent Academics and baseball, but not much else.

Tulsa - Very good BB and academics, but not much else.

SMU - Very good academics, but not much else.

USU - Strong academics and BB, but not much else.

NMS - Strong academics, good BB and baseball, but not much else.

The WAC slides in academics and baseball a bit, but losses nothing in football and gains in BB a bit. Regionaly the WAC is much stronger. Overall I would call this a wash or better for the WAC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:55 pm 
Andy Katz from ESPN said that the Mountain West will probably just expand to 9. TCU is the one that will get the invitation, but he said that if TCU rejects, they will probably invite Boise St.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

As a part time resident of the mountain west, I'm glad to see the MWC stay at 9 with 7 in Mountain Zone (if BSU is - it's near the line).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here's a Salt Lake Tribune take that I apparently missed last Friday that seems to favor BoiseState: Decision between Thanksgiving and Xmas...

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Oct/10242003/sports/104957.asp

:D

Last edited by javaman on Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next