NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:29 pm 
Rumors have also surfaced on some of these threads from time to time about another Texas Team joining as a rival/travel partner for TCU. Would it be possbile for either Rice or SMU to legally consider moving to the MWC now that they have already announced a move from the WAC to C-USA? UTEP would move in a heartbeat to MWC. But I don't know if any of them would be a good choice for MWC. Maybe another Texas team in C-USA?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

High Plains Drifter,

I know this is off the topic, but what part of the country sort of defines the "high plains"? Is it sort of the western and northern part of the great plains, or are we talking somewhere in Texas/Oklahoma? I've always wanted to know....

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:22 pm 
Java,

Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wyoming, and West Texas, I think that pretty much covers'em

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

And eastern Montana.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:29 am 
Fresno state is far superior to San Diego St. SDSU is a complete joke compared to Fresno St. which draws more fans and performs far better. Just check the records. SDSU should get the boot and Fresno should be invited in + Boise State + Nevada (UNLV partner school). There is your ten schools and there is a balanced conference.

PS Did I say that SDSU is grossly over-rated and does not compare to Fresno St? I just think Fresno intimidates the other MWC schools!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:22 am 
"I just think Fresno intimidates the other MWC schools!"

They're just scared of the bad publicity (partial-qualifiers, etc.) surrounding FSU, which is rather humorous when you consider that UNLV was a charter member of the MWC. Furthermore, the track record of certain coaches at MWC schools (basketball), past or present, is not all that reassuring (i.e. Tarkanian@UNLV, Fisher@SDSU, Norm Ellenberger(sp)@New Mexico; refusing to "pile-on" to Dave Bliss at the moment).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:37 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Rumors have also surfaced on some of these threads from time to time about another Texas Team joining as a rival/travel partner for TCU. Would it be possbile for either Rice or SMU to legally consider moving to the MWC now that they have already announced a move from the WAC to C-USA? UTEP would move in a heartbeat to MWC. But I don't know if any of them would be a good choice for MWC. Maybe another Texas team in C-USA?

These schools simply don't perform well enough to help posture the Mountain West toward BCS status. All BCS leagues are confined to one region and I think the MWC needs to follow that blueprint. I really don't understand why they just don't go ahead and take Fresno State and Boise State. UNLV was basically put on the map in sports by Jerry Tarkanian, so I don't think Tark's recent association with FSU should discourage their candidacy. I think Tark was under investigation while at Long Beach State and UNLV hired him anyway. FSU and BSU elevate the level of play in football, and football drives the truck when it comes to conferences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

A. Articles elsewhere have stated the MWC officials have officially named TCU as one of 6 schools they've considered for their short list, with a likely decision who to invite coming in January. No mention of a travel partner, from what I've seen.

B. While SMU and Rice physically could turn their backs on CUSA and become thatb possible travel partner in the MWC, the sheer logistics of it would probably not be worth it (IMO). Especially after having just climbed out of a situation where claimed unhappiness with all that western travel. Further, SMU would be overkill on the part of the MWC; Why take two small schools from the same market?

C. As such, IMO the travel partner thing may be overrated. It appears the schools that fit that partner profile are either in the same market (SMU, UNT), would not bring as much of their market to warrant inviting (Tulsa, La. Tech), or simply wouldn't find the move as compelling (Rice, Houston).

D. At this point I suspect SMU and company are lobbying TCU to stay. For their current prowess, their decent academics, and the prospect of a championship game as soon as all this reshuffling is over. (Not to mention making sure all this reshuffling is over as far as their conference is concerned.) Speculation has that game taking place in Texas early and often, as a move to both appease TCU and begin burning the chaps of Texas, A&M and others.

To recap what the conference commissioner has pointed out, the MWC has found that minimal expansion is the best option financially. Outside sources project that leaves a top three of TCU, Fresno St. and Boise St., roughly in that order. Obviously the decision won't be purely on the new market issue, but the MWC has less leeway for these considerations than the BE or ACC had. My bet? Invite for just TCU first, and if they accept Boise St gets #2. If TCU says "No thank you," Fresno St, gets a strong second look, as does the concept of no expansion at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:36 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Houston has been mentioned as another possbility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.latechbbb.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5983&start=0

La Tech board post indicates TCU to MWC and La Tech to CUSA are done deals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
La Tech board post indicates TCU to MWC and La Tech to CUSA are done deals

If that's the case I think it would have been made public and the picky details would be worked out later. You want your recruits to know what you're going to do so they will sign with your school rather than another.

It's what I think is most likely to happen, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:13 pm 

Quote:

Boise St. is definetly the best team in Idaho and can potential carry the whole state on a National level.

Fresno St. plays is a smaller market team than San Diego St. The MWC already has a California presence. It doesn't matter how well Fresno draws in football unless they are talking 60,000+ then its a no-brainer. San Diego St has more recruiting potential with its southen California location.

Hawaii much like Boise St controls its state athletically. Then you can't forget the bowl advantages/basketball tournment advantages the MWC will have by adding Hawaii.

Hawaii, BoiseSt, Wyoming, New Mexico, BYU/Utah, ColoradoSt/AirForce, and UNLV are all first tier programs within their respective states. The Mountain West has always picked the best athletic program in each state. San Diego St the biggest non-Pac10 market in California. Utah St, Nevada, FresnoSt, and NMSt left behind.

Right now, the MWC is going to 9 or 10 schools and its among TCU, BoiseSt, and Hawaii. My personal opinion is that TCU would be better off in the short term in CUSA. CUSA will have a championship game, the MWC will not. CUSA has about the same financial payout at the MWC counting basketball units and TV deal. CUSA has schools in the populous Eastern Time Zone. TCU fits in academically with SMU, Tulsa, Rice and Tulane. TCU plays SMU every year anyway, may as well keep them in the same conference.

Then entrance and exit fees, why would TCU want to pay a bunch of money to go to another non-BCS conference? The new CUSA really isn't much weaker in Football. UCF replaced USF. Marshall replaced Louisville. Tulsa replaced Cinncinnati. SMU and Rice replaced Army.

TCU should at the very least wait 5 years to see how this realignment eventually shakes out before jumping. What will happen to the bowl structure? All of this is uncertain right now. If the MWC looks stronger 5 years down the road, they can always reapply. Maybe in 5 years the MWC will be ready for that championship game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:37 am 
Lets just get Boise State Hawaii and TCU and Fresno State into the MWC so they can have 2 divisions.....then break up again in 4 years.....and more importantly so IDAHO can join the WAC so I dont have to go to Louisana and Florida to see them play....hey would that be a bad thing??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:41 am 
Senior
Senior

Dallas Morning News on the possibility of the TCU-BSU Ft. Worth Bowl being prelude to a future conference match-up. Also, Thompson states exansion will be to 9 or 10 max.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/topstories/stories/122003dnspotculede.9a67c.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 70  Next