NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article discussing the possibility of a MWC/WAC "merger" in order to obtain a BCS autobid at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/65527-a-not-so-crazy-idea-merge-the-mountain-west-and-the-wac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of MWC country with comments by MWC Commish Thompson who says MWC is not CURRENTLY looking at expansion.However,would that change if it would gain the MWC a BCS autobid? Link at http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/13/mwc-commissioner-built-conference-from-nothing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:16 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

You almost have to figure that the MWC could make a strong case for an autobid if it added BSU and/or FSU.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Just curious but was the loophole of using the expanding team's BCS number closed? I thought the BE was able to use ULs #10 (?) number for the purposes of calculating their conference champions BCS rank but that is now closed?

If the MWC thought that expanding would FOR SURE get them the BCS bid, there is no doubt they would do it. I think the MWC should just kill the WAC and get it over with.

I'm all for a MWC BCS bid as long as it doesn't take away the BEs bid and the BE isn't matched up permanently with the MWC champ. Although, I don't have a vote ;D

Of course, I also think the best from the BE and MWC/WAC should have been carved up and divided between the other 5 BCS conferences in 2003 when the ACC expansion happened but I also realize why it will likely never will be and that's more of a dream conference scenerio.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Not looking at this from an academic, locational, or even other sports standpoint, but if the Mountain West would have a REALLY good case for a BCS autobid if they add Boise State, Fresno State, and Hawaii.

The first data that the BCS uses to determine the autobids is the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year. From 2004-07, the Mountain West champion has been ranked in the Top-25 of the final BCS Standings. However, those rankings are 6th, 14th, 20th, and 17th respectively with an average finish of 14.3. IF you add those three schools, that average ranking jumps up to 9.5, whereas the Big East has an average finish of 9.

The second qualification data includes the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year. Currently, the MWC averages 1 team to the Big East's 2.75 teams from 2004-07. If they add those respective teams in the WAC, they'd average 2 teams in the final BCS standings each year.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any data to analyze the final qualification - the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year. I would have a hard time believing that the BCS wouldn't give an autobid to the MWC if they expanded to 10-12 teams and added Boise State.

Here's what I would have for the divisions...

West: Boise State*, Fresno State*, Hawaii*, New Mexico, UNLV, San Diego State
Mountain: BYU, Utah, TCU, Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force

With the expansion from 8 to 10 teams in the BCS thanks to the championship game and a non-automatic qualifier getting in for the third straight year assuming someone crashes this year in the MWC + Boise State, I think they would strongly consider giving the conference an autobid if they expanded to 12 teams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The MWC might play the game of adding Hawaii, soley to get credit for their FB success of the last 2 years unde June Jones / Colt Brennan.
However Hawaii has a big negative (travel) and ay not be able to sustain its FB success.

If they decide to go to 12, I would serriously consider Boise St., Fresno St. and UTEP.
UTEP provides a bridge between New Mexico and TCU (sort of).

My disvisions:
Mountain: TCU, UTEP, New Mexico, Colorado St., Air Force, Wyoming.
West: Utah, BYU, Boise St., UNLV, Fresno St., San Diego St.

Your's does keep the "gang of 5" together, but TCU and New Mexico are a bit isolated.

But hey, anything sould happen....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Baylor isn't leaving the Big 12. Also, when one considers expansion, the commish and the presidents will consider many criteria and not just what have you done THIS year in football. What are the facilities like, academics, attendance over several years, etc, etc. Expansion will not be about who is a flash but who can sustain themselves athletically in down years and who is goign to improve academics when they are added.

The MWC is in the drivers seat and IMO, anyone from the WAC - if offered by the MWC - would leave.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Panther,agree that it is unlikely that Baylor would be kicked out of Big 12.
The topic of MWC expansion is still rather popular.
Blog article with link to article out of Utah trying to make the case for MWC adding Tulsa from C-USA.Link at http://wac-footballblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/tulsa-is-good-fit-for-mwc.html

Last edited by freaked4collegefb on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Panther & Freaked, agree. Count the Southern Baptists in Texas and then count the Disciples of Christ. Baylor has influence and how they got in the B12 in the first place. They also have a women's bb national championship while being a B12 member. That may not be impressive for fb, but for the conference, it's a contribution.
Of course a program like Arkansas would be very desirable to try to lure to the B12 if ever possible.

Panther, those Pitt Panthers keep sneaking up there. They may end up having an excellent season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Davids,please go ahead and post the verification to your claim that Baylor is somehow in danger of being in violation of the very weak NCAA D-1a attendance policy which requires being under a 15,000 per game average over a two year period.

Sorry,but the current Baylor average attendance for 2008 thru 10-19-08 is 32,036.I also believe that Baylor was well over that 15,000 mark last year.

Thanks
Freaked

Last edited by freaked4collegefb on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Davids,I just went over to the NCAA site; Baylor FB attendance number for 2007 was 34,378 and the 2006 number was 37,080.

Apparently you were mistaken?

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

In addition to what Freaked said, there aren't any BCS programs that are in danger of being 'demoted'.

Also, from what I've read, 'people' are mentioning Arkansas and TCU (and others) to the Big12 if Missouri or Colorado leave for the Big 10 and Pac 10, respectively - not that I think it will happen either.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:

Panther, those Pitt Panthers keep sneaking up there. They may end up having an excellent season.

As a Pitt Fan - I've learned not to count the chickens before they've hatched. I've been burned too many times talking up the team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article regarding MWC expansion speculation at http://www.fanblogs.com/mountain_west/007814.php

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Davids,are you going to post that link to the article that said that the NCAA was going to boot out Baylor?
Was it back when Baylor was in the SouthWest conference?
It doesn't appear to have been recently.From the NCAA site;Baylor per game attendance numbers for 2005 was 38,899,2004 was 30,586 and in 2003 it was 29,851.

I can hardly wait to read that article.
Thanks
Freaked

Last edited by freaked4collegefb on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1038 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next