NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:
 
NCAA Map
  It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 1041
tute79 wrote:
Yeah 8 is minimum number for sponsoring various sports.

I was talking about something different however.

When you have schools moving in and out of a conference, you have to have so many together for a certain period of time for continuity.

For instance, if you had an 8-team conference called the ABC Conference, and 4 schools left and 4 replacement schools came in, the NCAA would say:
This NEW ABC Conference doesn't have sufficient continuity of member schools, it is essentially a NEW conference, and oh by the way, your automatic tournament bids are gone....

So if there were whole-sale changes in re-arranging the SunBelt and CUSA, they'd have to pay attention to that OR get a waiver from the NCAA (which involves approval from some committee made of people from other conferences who WOULD likely approve it, if they felt it was for the good of college sports in general).



I thought they did away with the continuity component. I think that ABC Conference would be fine as long as they replaced 4 schools leaving with enough members to be considered a conference (6).

For example... when the Big East split, the American didn't have eight continuous members. They had only FIVE (UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida). But they kept their autobid because Temple, Memphis, UCF, SMU, Houston joined in 2013; and ECU, Tulane, Tulsa joined in 2014 (replacing Rutgers & Louisville).

_________________
1897-1898 | 1900-06 | 1926-27 | 1929-30 | 1939 | 1942


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 2189
Good point. Maybe the NCAA did away with it, OR it's not a big deal to gain a waiver...

Clearly the AAC did NOT have that continuity.
The only teams that remained through the whole ordeal were UConn, Cincy, and USF.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 8789
Article out of Norfolk discussing some of the topics to be discussed at this week's C-USA meetings at http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist ... 6d437.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:51 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 8789
Article out of Hattiesburg with comments from new C-USA board Chairman regarding status of that league at http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/stor ... 589702001/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 8789
Article out of Norfolk discussing the C-USA/Liberty membership situation at https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnis ... 7fa70.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 8789
AA blog article with Stadium Network's C-USA FB tv schedule on that network at http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outle ... edule.html

Also Wikipedia page regarding Stadium Sports Network at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_(sports_network)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 8789
Article out of Biloxi discussing "possible" future C-USA conference realignment at http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college ... 05609.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 701
Location: Fiskville, Texas
Falling attendance numbers is a huge factor for colleges and universities budgets. Regional rivalries make much more sense for all sports not just football.

I am absolutely certain that many of us have suggested that the SBC and CUSA should combine to make much smaller leagues for years now.

Even though this article is about the Go5 schools.....the same ideas apply to the P5. It makes no sense for the P5 to continue to have leagues that stretch from northern Indiana to north New York to the very south part of Florida....or, from Nebraska to New Jersey. Which is why I am opposed to UCF or USF getting into the Big12. Sure, the P5 schools have an almost endless supply of money(it seems), but to have numerous outliers is rediculous and not very cost effective for fans or schools.

Anyway....back to CUSA and the SBC.

Maybe we could see a group that consists of N. Texas, Rice, UTSA, Texas St, UTEP, NMSU, La Tech, ULL, S. Miss and Arkansas St. It would be a nice mix of schools and a relatively compact area.

I also feel that conferences that contain 14 schools should play more conference games. Like the SEC....they only play 8 conference games. They also seem to target some really bad and horrible OOC games. It just doesn't add up to me at the end of the season for SEC schools to not take a strength of scheduling hit when they constantly play Big South, SoCon and MEAC schools for OOC. And some of those games are near the end of the season...when other conferences are playing much tougher schools in conference. SoS is a major factor in bb...why not fb?

So, I am all for regionalizing conferences and revamping the scheduling rules. Everyone should be playing by nearly the same rules especially when only 4 schools get into the playoffs.

_________________
Fan of:
State of Texas
Southwest Conference
Big XII


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:11 pm
Posts: 1
Here is the problem that you have with merging with the Sun Belt. A lot of programs are going to be adverse to that idea. Conference USA opponents look at themselves as a level above Sun Belt teams. Most of the teams have fought to get into Conference USA and bringing those teams is like taking a step back. Granted, the programs that you listed above in Sun Belt are valid contenders to be moving up, but you have a lot of newer programs in the Sun Belt. Louisiana Tech has been through the travel woes when they were with the WAC. Being an independent and not have a name like Notre Dame is not valuable at all to a program. Louisiana Tech strived for years to finally get into Conference USA and they enjoy being in the ranks of this conference. Geographically, it fits their model too. The program has grown since moving to Conference USA. Louisiana-Lafayette has been another one that has finally paid their dues in the lower rungs of the Division 1-A and will soon be looking to grow its program. Conference USA is the next step for a lot of these programs.

A more reasonable idea may be to grab some more members but not have the interdivisional play in the conference and have the conferences meet in the championship. Maybe even split it into four divisions and a quasi-playoff matchup in the last week of the season and then finish up with a conference chamipionship. In order for this model to work, you would have more teams in the conference.

Finally, eventually the realignment hammer is going to fall again and the next step for the Power 5 is to grow to 16 teams and eventually have a tier 1 championship and a tier 2 championship with the bowls mixed as bonus games. If you make a goal these teams can strive towards like a chance to actually compete for a title, you may see the attendance increase.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 701
Location: Fiskville, Texas
CajunPanther90 wrote:
Here is the problem that you have with merging with the Sun Belt. A lot of programs are going to be adverse to that idea. Conference USA opponents look at themselves as a level above Sun Belt teams. Most of the teams have fought to get into Conference USA and bringing those teams is like taking a step back. Granted, the programs that you listed above in Sun Belt are valid contenders to be moving up, but you have a lot of newer programs in the Sun Belt. Louisiana Tech has been through the travel woes when they were with the WAC. Being an independent and not have a name like Notre Dame is not valuable at all to a program. Louisiana Tech strived for years to finally get into Conference USA and they enjoy being in the ranks of this conference. Geographically, it fits their model too. The program has grown since moving to Conference USA. Louisiana-Lafayette has been another one that has finally paid their dues in the lower rungs of the Division 1-A and will soon be looking to grow its program. Conference USA is the next step for a lot of these programs.

A more reasonable idea may be to grab some more members but not have the interdivisional play in the conference and have the conferences meet in the championship. Maybe even split it into four divisions and a quasi-playoff matchup in the last week of the season and then finish up with a conference chamipionship. In order for this model to work, you would have more teams in the conference.

Finally, eventually the realignment hammer is going to fall again and the next step for the Power 5 is to grow to 16 teams and eventually have a tier 1 championship and a tier 2 championship with the bowls mixed as bonus games. If you make a goal these teams can strive towards like a chance to actually compete for a title, you may see the attendance increase.


The problems that the article was pointing out was....lack of money and fan support. Adding more schools will only make the money problem grow. CUSA doesn't get a very large slice of the pie as it is....to dilute that amount by two or four more schools would be intolerable.

While some schools may hold themselves at a higher level than others....in reality it isn't very true. The SunBelt and CUSA are the two lowest conferences in the FBS fb ranks. Neither conference is making much money....so, a new course of action is the only way they may increase their revenues or lower their cost of doing business.

No matter what or when the P5 changes up their model....the schools in the SBC and CUSA need to be positioning themselves for current success. It makes no sense to wait for something to change or not change...when, they are having issues right now.

_________________
Fan of:
State of Texas
Southwest Conference
Big XII


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 2189
Agree !

In revenue terms, CUSA and SunBelt are much closer to FCS than the P5.
There is no glory in them being FBS, when G5 schools are never given fair consideration as being competitive with P5 (whether true or not).
It's time for them to rationalize their situation and make it the best it can be.

CUSA and SunBelt could re-align with each other into a SE-centric league and a Texas-centric league. This would set up better rivalries and slash travel costs. This would be better for the Athletics Department budget, better for the athletes, better for the fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 701
Location: Fiskville, Texas
A nice side effect of the SBC and CUSA reshuffle could be that UTA and LR would find a home in a non fb conference like the MVC, WAC or Summit.

I don't have the figures...but, I heard that the UTSA vs Texas St game this year was a sell out. Watching it on tv...the stadium looked very full.

_________________
Fan of:
State of Texas
Southwest Conference
Big XII


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:17 pm
Posts: 2
tute79 wrote:
Agree !

In revenue terms, CUSA and SunBelt are much closer to FCS than the P5.
There is no glory in them being FBS, when G5 schools are never given fair consideration as being competitive with P5 (whether true or not).
It's time for them to rationalize their situation and make it the best it can be.

CUSA and SunBelt could re-align with each other into a SE-centric league and a Texas-centric league. This would set up better rivalries and slash travel costs. This would be better for the Athletics Department budget, better for the athletes, better for the fans.


In college sports, especially FBS football, you always have to take into account programs' perceptions of themselves and fanbase perceptions of them. CUSA and the Sun Belt are not that different to an outsider, sure. But no matter how logical this kind of move would be, the CUSA considers themselves above the Sun Belt, since its members are either schools that played themselves out of the Sun Belt or started above that conference anyway. Reshuffling the two conferences makes sense, but it will not happen.

In the end, what seem like logical conference moves will not happen, simply because the decisions are made by the schools and the conferences themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 701
Location: Fiskville, Texas
wabbott9 wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Agree !

In revenue terms, CUSA and SunBelt are much closer to FCS than the P5.
There is no glory in them being FBS, when G5 schools are never given fair consideration as being competitive with P5 (whether true or not).
It's time for them to rationalize their situation and make it the best it can be.

CUSA and SunBelt could re-align with each other into a SE-centric league and a Texas-centric league. This would set up better rivalries and slash travel costs. This would be better for the Athletics Department budget, better for the athletes, better for the fans.


In college sports, especially FBS football, you always have to take into account programs' perceptions of themselves and fanbase perceptions of them. CUSA and the Sun Belt are not that different to an outsider, sure. But no matter how logical this kind of move would be, the CUSA considers themselves above the Sun Belt, since its members are either schools that played themselves out of the Sun Belt or started above that conference anyway. Reshuffling the two conferences makes sense, but it will not happen.

In the end, what seem like logical conference moves will not happen, simply because the decisions are made by the schools and the conferences themselves.


That may be part of the equation....but, running your finances dry just because you feel you are better than another school is suicide. Are you saying that these schools would rather commit financial suicide than associate themselves with schools from the SBC? That makes little sense.

I feel that, at least, the Texas schools would be alright with shrinking their conference footprint and playing schools much closer in proximity. That is because...they already play each other all the time.

Most of these schools are state schools with finances and budgets to worry about. They can't get too high on their horse....because they will be fired for lack of fiscal responsibility. Why volunteer to run your athletic program into the ground when there are better solutions available?

_________________
Fan of:
State of Texas
Southwest Conference
Big XII


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 2189
C-USA's TV money REALLY dried up in this most recent contract.

So with all these schools' Athletics Departments having to do some significant belt-tightening,
the college administrations may be forced into serious considerations some major adjustments.

If they were to realign into East and West, you could see NMSU, JMU and Liberty try to jump into the mix.
UALR is "studying" the addition of football. I think there is an existing stadium in Little Rock. Not sure who maintains it....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:
College Gear at Fanatics.com







Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

NCAA Store - Food Travel Ideas

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group