NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Nevada doesn't have the facilities to be in the BE for football on their tiny erector set field. They'll either add a couple of east teams and move Cincinnati to the west or and 1 east team and 1 of Colorado St., Fresno St., UNLV(said they don't want to put sports in different conferences).

Yes, but is the C-USA/MWC merger going to be about what UNLV wants? Doubtful. And if the Eastern four from the MWC (AFA, UNM, CSU, Wyom) come to an agreement with C-USA, are they not going to move ahead with it because UNLV would be upset? Though it's just now occurring to me that it's strange UNLV even made the comment. They weren't on the Big East radar this round so the idea of them splitting sports wouldn't have been brought up unless it's being brought up for a different reason.

You think the Big East will be picking between Colorado State, Fresno State and UNLV? Not the schools I would have expected but ok.

Nevada's stadium holds 30k, Boise 33k, Houston 32k, SMU 32k. Seems like they'd be able to manage just fine especially after a few upgrades with the extra money they would make in the Big East plus the money they'd save moving to the Big West. Sure the Las Vegas market would be better than the Reno market but this is also about good football and Nevada has been consistently good in football these past few years.

Pushing Louisville and Cincinnati to the West will only make them want to move to the Big 12 that much more. Of course, this all could be moot if the ACC goes to 16 any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Nevada's 30K only really seats 20K comfortably (the erector set nature of this IS the culprit and/or doesn't help). Because of this, they get their "biggest game ever" and have to rely on Boise fans to help sell out the place. They can't draw to Mackey at near-BCS prices.

Yes, that IS the equation here.

"Near-BCS prices" means a lot more than most want to believe. I keep thinking back to a discussion in Fresno over Thanksgiving. Fresno fans can't seem to understand why they're paying more for a diminished product... and all it takes is to look at ticket prices in Boise to figure out why. Boise's ticket prices are not too distant from, say, Oregon ($80 for the prime games, $67 for the Washington State game I attended, probably $40 for Missouri State). Of course, Boise has youth discounts that Oregon won't touch (and doesn't have to touch).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Nevada doesn't have the facilities to be in the BE for football on their tiny erector set field. They'll either add a couple of east teams and move Cincinnati to the west or and 1 east team and 1 of Colorado St., Fresno St., UNLV(said they don't want to put sports in different conferences).

Yes, but is the C-USA/MWC merger going to be about what UNLV wants? Doubtful. And if the Eastern four from the MWC (AFA, UNM, CSU, Wyom) come to an agreement with C-USA, are they not going to move ahead with it because UNLV would be upset? Though it's just now occurring to me that it's strange UNLV even made the comment. They weren't on the Big East radar this round so the idea of them splitting sports wouldn't have been brought up unless it's being brought up for a different reason.

You think the Big East will be picking between Colorado State, Fresno State and UNLV? Not the schools I would have expected but ok.

Nevada's stadium holds 30k, Boise 33k, Houston 32k, SMU 32k. Seems like they'd be able to manage just fine especially after a few upgrades with the extra money they would make in the Big East plus the money they'd save moving to the Big West. Sure the Las Vegas market would be better than the Reno market but this is also about good football and Nevada has been consistently good in football these past few years.

Pushing Louisville and Cincinnati to the West will only make them want to move to the Big 12 that much more. Of course, this all could be moot if the ACC goes to 16 any time soon.

You said BE. And yes it is about what UNLV wants to UNLV, if they don't want to go to the BE for fb only, they won't. They seem fine w/ a CUSA/MWC merger. They are not fine w/ a BE football team and a WAC or Big West all sports.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

You said BE. And yes it is about what UNLV wants to UNLV, if they don't want to go to the BE for fb only, they won't. They seem fine w/ a CUSA/MWC merger. They are not fine w/ a BE football team and a WAC or Big West all sports.

I think that unlike, say, Notre Dame's stance on independence, the UNLV situation is much more fluid. For instance, what happens if the Big East comes out next month with news of a TV deal that is huge. Right NOW, UNLV might not be into a $6 million a year deal. But, if it were $10 million or $12 million, well, I think they would listen...especially noting that the crown jewel of the region, Boise St. is there, along with SDSU. If SDSU makes a fine transition to the Big West, who knows, maybe that combined with a huge boost in revenue would be enough to push them into a decision (if a decision opportunity even existed).

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

No, I never said that. You said you expected the Big East to be picking between CSU, FSU, and UNLV unless they took two eastern schools which I said are not the schools I would expect. I said that the Big East is going to take a school in the west (maybe two in the west) as football only member(s) which will further isolate the remaining west coast schools (UNLV and Fresno State) in the event of a C-USA/MWC full merger. This would make it more likely they will be asked to join for football only. I find it unlikely that the Big East would invite full members unless the basketball schools do indeed split off. In which case Eastern members make a lot of sense.

My reasoning is that the two schools mentioned in the article are on the East coast, schools I expected C-USA to add if they weren't merging since it would add to the travel of the MWC schools. I think the next school invited will decide what happens. If it's SJSU or Utah State and the Big East doesn't add anymore West Coast schools, then the western schools might join full time. If it's North Texas or someone further East I'd say it's time to call the Big West. UNLV's basketball would be a tough loss but Memphis and New Mexico would be good enough and this conference is for all sports so the non money making sports need to be considered too.

As for UNLV, I'll say it again. I don't remember the Big East ever mentioning UNLV as a potential school for their western division. As far as I know or remember, Air Force was the last western school mentioned. So UNLV wasn't being asked if they wanted to join for football only. So why make the comment? Just to tell the Big East that they shouldn't call? Who says they were ever going to call? So who is that comment directed at? And what kind of school turns down more money besides one funded by the US Government?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

No, I never said that. You said you expected the Big East to be picking between CSU, FSU, and UNLV unless they took two eastern schools which I said are not the schools I would expect. I said that the Big East is going to take a school in the west (maybe two in the west) as football only member(s) which will further isolate the remaining west coast schools (UNLV and Fresno State) in the event of a C-USA/MWC full merger. This would make it more likely they will be asked to join for football only. I find it unlikely that the Big East would invite full members unless the basketball schools do indeed split off. In which case Eastern members make a lot of sense.

My reasoning is that the two schools mentioned in the article are on the East coast, schools I expected C-USA to add if they weren't merging since it would add to the travel of the MWC schools. I think the next school invited will decide what happens. If it's SJSU or Utah State and the Big East doesn't add anymore West Coast schools, then the western schools might join full time. If it's North Texas or someone further East I'd say it's time to call the Big West. UNLV's basketball would be a tough loss but Memphis and New Mexico would be good enough and this conference is for all sports so the non money making sports need to be considered too.

As for UNLV, I'll say it again. I don't remember the Big East ever mentioning UNLV as a potential school for their western division. As far as I know or remember, Air Force was the last western school mentioned. So UNLV wasn't being asked if they wanted to join for football only. So why make the comment? Just to tell the Big East that they shouldn't call? Who says they were ever going to call? So who is that comment directed at? And what kind of school turns down more money besides one funded by the US Government?

Okay then there was no reason to start off your statment talking about UNLV. The point was that Nevada doesn't have the a stadium up to par to play in the BE and UNLV has better stadium/market. The UNLV Prez was the one that made the statement about the BE and not splitting into 2 conf. for sports, my guess is they might have talked, I can't see a Prez just up and saying that. It was on the ncaabbs board a month or 2 ago. It sure sounds like the MWC/CUSA thing could end up an all sports so I don't know what you're getting at about them caring about UNLV. It doesn't matter to the BE who the MWC or CUSA adds, they'll do what they want cause they're higher up on the pole. If SJSU and USU join the MWC, and the BE wants CSU or Fresno, they'll go. The BE will likely go to 12 to get a championship game and the money that goes w/ it. They said the goal was 12. First they want Navy who can't join until 2015. Then for 12, it could be Temple or Memphis or CSU or Fresno. probably in that order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Okay then there was no reason to start off your statment talking about UNLV. The point was that Nevada doesn't have the a stadium up to par to play in the BE and UNLV has better stadium/market. The UNLV Prez was the one that made the statement about the BE and not splitting into 2 conf. for sports, my guess is they might have talked, I can't see a Prez just up and saying that. It was on the ncaabbs board a month or 2 ago. It sure sounds like the MWC/CUSA thing could end up an all sports so I don't know what you're getting at about them caring about UNLV. It doesn't matter to the BE who the MWC or CUSA adds, they'll do what they want cause they're higher up on the pole. If SJSU and USU join the MWC, and the BE wants CSU or Fresno, they'll go. The BE will likely go to 12 to get a championship game and the money that goes w/ it. They said the goal was 12. First they want Navy who can't join until 2015. Then for 12, it could be Temple or Memphis or CSU or Fresno. probably in that order.

Ok, I guess you're not really following my train of thought. I'll try it this way. Look at a map of the proposed C-USA/MWC alliance (all of the current schools). There's a gap between the west coast schools (for simplicity let's include Nevada in the West Coast) and the rest of the proposed conference (even before ANY Big East expansion). If another school on the West Coast leaves for the Big East/Big West it's only going to put the remaining school more on an island and increase their travel (whether UNLV leaves or Nevada or Fresno isn't the point I'm trying to make). Now, if there were a bunch of school on the west coast and Boise, it wouldn't have been a big deal because there were plenty of schools out there. If it come to just two west coast schools I wouldn't be surprised if they are asked to join the C-USA/MWC merger as football only schools.

I can't say for certain, but I don't think C-USA would really like to be an 18 team conference. I think this talk of FIU and Temple is them saying the merger will happen on their terms or not at all. At this point, they could probably grab New Mexico and wash their hands of the MWC if they wanted to. But I think they'd like to bring in Air Force and Colorado State as well.

Sorry for the confusion, my posts about these western schools for football only is referring to the C-USA/MWC merger.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

unless the Big West keeps adding schools I see the western schools agreeing to all sports, tv, money make it worth it. WAC is spread out and sucky, so I think they'd rather be w/ good teams. In order of what I think. 1 merger, 2 CUSA & MWC both add schools and stay separate for other sports. 3 join BW for other sports, 4 WAC for other sports. I don't the BW turning down Fresno or SJSU if they asked to come back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
unless the Big West keeps adding schools I see the western schools agreeing to all sports, tv, money make it worth it. WAC is spread out and sucky, so I think they'd rather be w/ good teams. In order of what I think. 1 merger, 2 CUSA & MWC both add schools and stay separate for other sports. 3 join BW for other sports, 4 WAC for other sports. I don't the BW turning down Fresno or SJSU if they asked to come back.

Yeah but you're thinking from the western point of view. No school ever really wants to split their sports but there are times where it is the best option (Temple, UMass) and there are times where they don't have a choice (U of SD). Just like in the event of a merger, the western schools won't really want to split their sports and would love to play full time in the 18 school C-USA. But from the Eastern point of view are the eastern C-USA schools going to want to play in Fresno or Nevada (especially in smaller sports)? I don't think they will like that idea too much.

We all know the Big West would love to add Fresno. UNLV would be a great add too (and I would expect Reno would make the cut too). So we agree that the Big West would have no problem expanding with schools like these.

Like I said, as of right now, I'd expect 18/20. But if the Big East comes calling for UNLV, UNR, or FSU, I wouldn't be surprised if the Eastern schools push the remaining two to the Big West.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I read the back and forth, I sense a reason for an all-sports merger...

...but I can't get a nagging thought out of my head. The thought: 18-20 schools are going to take 2 automatic tournament bids and make them into 1? Um, ya sure?

Have there been any real discussions of the merger since the "get rid of BCS AQs" rumors started?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Dennis Dodd blog article with update on MWC/C-USA talks at http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/ ... 2/34342794

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Shreveport with comments from Lousiana Tech officials regarding possible C-USA expansion following today's C-USA/MWC meeting in Dallas at http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/ ... membership

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Per CBS Sport's Bret McMurphy's twitter: Big East entering final negotiations that will make Memphis the 17th all sport member and 12th fb member...for now.

and per Matt Hayes from Sporting News says Memphis to Big East will be announced this week because Lville to Big 12 is a done deal...

This leave CUSA with just 8 members: Marshall, ECU, UAB, So Miss, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, and UTEP who may join the MWC...

If the MWC and CUSA actually merge they'd have 16 (w/ Hawaii) but if CUSA does decide to expand whether it be 10 or 12 likely replacements are Temple, LA Tech, and UNT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Will they tell Hawaii to come in as a full member, 15 sucks for basketball. They gonna add a bball, all sports member like Denver or BYU :lol: I hope Hawaii is on board w/ being full member.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Will they tell Hawaii to come in as a full member, 15 sucks for basketball. They gonna add a bball, all sports member like Denver or BYU :lol: I hope Hawaii is on board w/ being full member.

Likely yes. Depends. For a CUSA/MWC full merge, Hawaii is less of a factor. For a football-only partnership, well, MWC is hurtin' if they still manage to lose Air force. Means they'd be down to 6 and need Utah St. to join AND HAwaii for all sports to maintain. That said, if football is protected in an alliance, then there's not much wrong with a 8 team conference for other sports.

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 72  Next