NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/stewart_mandel/01/28/mandel.insider/index.html

According to The Commercial Appeal of Memphis, Conference USA will waive the customary exit fees for Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida when they leave for the Big East in 2005 in exchange for agreeing to play one football and two basketball games a year against C-USA schools through 2010. The league is also relocating its offices from Chicago to Dallas, where commissioner Britton Bankowsky has remained since leaving the Big 12 two years ago.

(Can't find the source article on the CA website)

The exit fee item is a surprise to me, but probably a good deal. The league is already going to get to keep the NCAA BB credits, so I guess going for more TV games is a good idea.

No shock on the office move, though.
That was the most telegraphed move by a CEO-type I've ever seen. I actually thought that the TCU move would hurt his argument (2 members in town, 4 in the state, 6 within driving distance), but it looks like that deal was already done.

more on the move from Dallas:

C-USA offices moving to Dallas area
Conference USA will move its offices from Chicago to a location near D/FW Airport in July commissioner Britton Banowsky said.

The move was prompted by the recent realignment involving several schools, such as SMU, Rice and Tulsa. Banowsky said the North Texas Commission is helping the conference set up a relocation plan.

During a meeting of the realigned conference athletic directors, Banowsky said a two-division setup was given clear support for football and there were preliminary discussions about a conference championship game for football. Banowsky said a final decision on a conference championship game is nearly a month away from happening.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/colleges/notebook/stories/012904dnspocolbriefs.9036e.html

Last edited by earthx on Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:33 pm 
Who might be the next new member?
Info from Conf USA:

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/news/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=6191

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:49 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
The candidates are:

UTEP, North Texas, La.Tech, MiamiOH, Toledo, Temple

And the dominoes continue to roll. :P

This is all just waiting for when the other shoe drops----the BE raids again taking memphis. Like the WAC and MWC, I don't think CUSA wants to over expand. I think they will add 1 school now and then add another when Memphis bolts. this looks like a conference that won't die, but will eventually lose a lot of stature in FB. I think in 10 years this will be the worse Div-1 football conference. Small private schools are a dead end, IMO.

Temple looks to have support and seems the favorite---I don't buy the Atlantic 10 BB idea. Temple brings a nice market and a good BB program even if they expand the footprint. They do make more sense if Navy and Army are in as football only---but A&N are afterthoughts really when you want to discuss the meat of the conference. there are simply more ripe possibilities out east, so I would expect CUSA to push that way. I would expect a LT/Idaho swap. Ego be d**ned---neither school can afford not to do it. LT will bite the bullet and join the SB and then Idaho will be invited to the WAC.

If CUSA brings in LT, the WAC raids Idaho, and all is sane.

If CUSA brings in UTEP, the WAC might try to raid UNT---I think this is still a very valid possibility, the WAC has money and UNT has a TV market---to bridge L Tech. Idaho is not as certain.

If CUSA brings in UNT, hell breaks loose. I doubt this happens. I would think SMU blocks it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:36 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

what about if cusa brings in temple? then it gets really fun b/c of the possible idaho/la tech swap, but also the a10 now has to replace a basketball school, unless they dont mind scheduling for 13 teams and having imbalanced divisions. temple would make things really fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
This is all just waiting for when the other shoe drops----the BE raids again taking memphis.

No way. South Florida got in due to the "florida recruits" mystique. There is no chance those northeasterners will add a true southern school in the next decade. Central Florida is the only school in the south that has a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i think memphis will get in the be fball after the split due to lousiville and cincy looking out for their old rival.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:25 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Has anyone heard on ESPN News or ESPN Radio the statement that the Ragin' Cajuns are on the expansion list now?

There's been reports of it on the ULa message board but I haven't seen anyone discuss it elsewhere.

Obviously we are THE dark horse in this whole post-TCU thing. The only way we move up in the list is if basketball drives the decision.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:01 am 
Senior
Senior

I am unfamiliar with the goings on in Louisiana. What is the social status of UL vs. La. Tech? What is the potential for the future of UL vs. La. Tech athletics? Facilities? Alumni support? Although THE dark horse UL just might make sense at least over La. Tech. Please enlighten me on the above questions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:46 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Has anyone heard on ESPN News or ESPN Radio the statement that the Ragin' Cajuns are on the expansion list now?

There's been reports of it on the ULa message board but I haven't seen anyone discuss it elsewhere.

Obviously we are THE dark horse in this whole post-TCU thing. The only way we move up in the list is if basketball drives the decision.
"dark horse" is an overstatement. ULL isn't much better off than ULM. If there is to be another major football program in Louisiana, it won't be on I-10. C-USA should go with North Texas. Texas is a big enough state that it has plenty of room for another semi-successful football-etc program. Louisiana simply isn't that big. Not only is ULL in the Sun Belt, but they're in the lower tier of the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:09 pm 
Come now, those "reports" sound quite credible to me, I mean especially since they weren't even hinted at by the worldly Andy Katz...that hybrid Army-Navy C-USA membership is rather intriguing however...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:25 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
I am unfamiliar with the goings on in Louisiana. What is the social status of UL vs. La. Tech? What is the potential for the future of UL vs. La. Tech athletics? Facilities? Alumni support? Although THE dark horse UL just might make sense at least over La. Tech. Please enlighten me on the above questions.

ULa v La Tech is the oldest rivalry for both schools. It was dropped when LA Tech went to the WAC but was picked up again last year, at least in football.

Trying to be unbiased, ULa probably has a larger potential upswing with Alumni support. The metro of Lafayette is substantially larger than the LA Tech metro area but neither is a huge media market. Both have sizeable alumni groups in Texas cities.

ULa has better facilities than LA Tech and is also dumping in millions on upgrades. An Indoor Practice Facility will be started next year and there's a ton of renovations already underway with other stuff... I'll try to find a hyperlink for you listing them.

The only things that makes me think LA Tech has more favor with current C-USA schools are 1) Recent football success 2) Semi-regular upsets over BCS schools and 3) connections with the former WAC schools joining C-USA.

Both schools have traditional rivalries with UAB. ULa has a long-standing series with USM. Both have played UCF somewhat frequently in the past (even though UCF sees both as inferior). The rumor mill says the ULa pres. and the Memphis pres. are good friends.

To be honest, I'd be just as happy with LA Tech/UNT/ULa in the SBC as I would be with ULa in C-USA.

The new C-USA has a great legacy but it is much weaker in every sport (sans baseball) with Louisville, Marquette, USF, Cincy & Depaul leaving. I would say it will be on the same level as the MAC in football and the WAC in basketball.

Last edited by kungpaocajun on Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:43 pm 
LSUa&m@BR tootnanny, GET A LIFE.

2nd place finish in THE BELT last season-Football
Currently #91 RPI-Basketball
NCAA Super regionals 2 of last 5 years. CWS 2000

www.louisiana.edu

http://community-2.webtv.net/TJPOTIER/TJPCajunFanRagin/

www.athleticnetwork.net/site.php
click on athletic enhancements

If we get in CUSA, great. But we will not lose sleep over it. WE control our own destiny.

The sleeper is awakening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:22 am 
Junior
Junior

Man...If I were Conference USA, I'd want a do over. :)

They brought in Rice, SMU, and Tulsa in no small part to keep cut TCU and Tulane's travel budgets and hopefully keep TCU (although Tulsa does deliver in basketball). TCU leaves anyway.

How much better off of a position would they be in today if they had just brought in Marshall and UCF?

They would be able to add a bunch of teams now that make a lot more sense geographically and from a TV perspective, and would probably be more stable long term.

UTEP (helps texas schools' attendance)
UNT (replacing the trip to SMU)
Houston
LT (closer replacing the trip to Rice)
Tulane
Memphis

S. Miss
UAB
Troy State (Much closer than Temple)/or FAMU or NCA&T
UCF
ECU
Marshall

Heck at 12 they could offer standing offers to both FAU and FIU pending the enlargement of their stadiums to say 25K minimum. That would give them 12-16 members (safe from raids) and would ensure that they are the #2 conference in the SEC footprint longterm---something I don't think you can guarantee now beyond the next 5 years.

If FAU and FIU make noise in the Sunbelt and UNT continues to improve, the sunbelt should be much stronger, both in quality and in media power. If Tulane drops to Div 1AA and Memphis bails to the Big East reducing the upcoming TV deal even more, the dynamics between conferences could change quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:12 am 
[quote author=KungPaoCajun link=board=1a&thread=1068734048&start=41#2 date=1075832724]

The only things that makes me think LA Tech has more favor with current C-USA schools are 1) Recent football success 2) Semi-regular upsets over BCS schools and 3) connections with the former WAC schools joining C-USA. Not just "only things"-it's called football which is more important than everything else. And ULL football is nothing short of horrendous (wins over Idaho and FAU notwithstanding)

Both schools have traditional rivalries with UAB. Calling the series with UAB a rivalry is a stretch.

The rumor mill says the ULa pres. and the Memphis pres. are good friends.
If Memphis wants ULL in,there is a good chance they will be in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 55  Next