NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:26 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
Not just "only things"-it's called football which is more important than everything else. And ULL football is nothing short of horrendous (wins over Idaho and FAU notwithstanding)

Calling the series with UAB a rivalry is a stretch.

If Memphis wants ULL in,there is a good chance they will be in.

Different sources have said (I believe further back on this thread) that bball might be the driving force for the final spot. If not, then ULa, UTEP & Temple are automatically off of the list.

Our perspectives on ULa football are slightly different: The Ragin Cajuns were horrendous, I wouldn't use the word "are". Ten years ago we had two Big West Co-Chamionships. We've had crap since then but are on a slow, steady turnaround. I'll take that over one flash-in-the-pan season of success. The fact that ULa has even been mentioned should tell you how confident someone in C-USA is that the Cajuns are turning things around.

LA Tech & ULa were both in a conference with UAB. The games we play are still well attended and evoke a quite passionate response from all fans involved.

While Memphis is the Big Boy in the conference, they've only got one vote. If the rumors of presidents being buddies are true, I'd take that vote. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:55 am 
Louisiana Tech and Louisiana-Lafayette were never in a conference with UAB, unless you count mutual I-A independent status as somehow a constituiting a conference arrangment (wow, Notre Dame and Troy State are playing this weekend for all of the marbles!) UAB leaving the Sun Belt to become a charter member of the Great Midwest precipitated the chain of events that eventually led to Southwest Louisiana, Louisiana Tech, and the rest of the American South being grafted onto the 4-school carcass that had become the Sun Belt Conference...Also, how does Louisiana-Lafayette basketball have any bearing whatsoever on the school's conference mobility? Wow, shared two-three shared championships in the Big West a decade ago...no offense, but I always though that USL's ability to remain I-A in 1982 while the rest of the Southland descended was sort of indication of a higher-caliber program...a review of the record, 1996 victory over A&M notwithstanding, doesn't really speak volumes to me...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:59 am 
So am I to presume that Memphis is the new "Louisville/BYU/Notre Dame" of C-USA?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
So am I to presume that Memphis is the new "Louisville/BYU/Notre Dame" of C-USA?

An interesting pose! With TCU leaving after next year, Memphis basketball is clearly the dog pulling this sleigh, and their case only got stronger with a successful year in football as well. Marshall, UCF and the others have some attraction, but Memphis has a decent market and national recognition. It doesn't hurt that four of the schools in CUSA will be small private schools, either.

But, there's that cloud hanging overhead called the BE. Should that conference split/reform in 5-7 years, there's a good chance Memphis will be a leading candidate for expansion, as will several other CUSA schools. Thus, how should the commissioner treat those schools?

If I'm the CUSA commish, I'm paying extra attention to the needs and potentials of the following members
Tulsa
Tulane
Rice
SMU
Houston
So. Miss
UAB
Marshall

Not the makings of a BCS conference, to be sure, but at least some national name recognition and decent markets. Most importantly, there's a commonality among these members in a) they're not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon, and b) they're all trying to take the next step up the athletic program ladder.

- CUSA must position itself wisely to maximize revenue and reinvest it in facilities and marketing. Should it become more of a regional conference in terms of TV contracts, etc., think like the MAC and hope someday to produce several solid teams in the same year. I'd also propose a name change, and blanket the east Texas/ Mississippi River basin area with the conference image. (Big Southland?) Suggestions anyone?

- I'm still waiting for the renaissance at UAB. Bball could be modeled after Charlotte, football must find a foothold among SEC wannabes. And as soon as the state experiences an economic boom, I'd push again for renovations to Legion Field or a new stadium. Think bowl game. Think SEC or CUSA title games. Think Iron Bowl every 3rd year. Think big, and put yourself in a position to capitalize.

- Four decent private schools, tight regional form in the south east: Surely there's something in the realm of economic and community development the schools can capitalize on for public outreach. Perhaps not in the research capacity of the SEC schools, but there are other avenues for involvement with student service and community participation. The more you show investment into the community, the more likely the community will respond. Best I can tell CUSA was lacking in that department before.

- As for Memphis, ECU and UCF Make them happy but don't grow dependent on them until the BE is in it's final form.

Last edited by gunnerfan on Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:31 am 
Point of clarification: in context, being the "Louisville/BYU/Notre Dame" of the conference more or less an assertion that these schools presuppose themselves as having a veto over any and all conference matters that overreaches any and all other members...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:03 pm 
Junior
Junior

I think the only reason that LaTech is ahead of LaLafayette is due to recent success and the fact that LaTech can't be happy in the WAC, having lost its division (SMU, Tulsa & Rice) to CUSA. Why not pick LaTech and along with Tulane and UAB, you have a division. ULL would be wise to stay in the SunBelt. I have to say that ULL is much better than ULM. I think ULM will have major problems meeting attendance requirements. ULL is doing better in that regard. They did have a good turnaround this year in football. [Side Note: When the he** is Idaho going to have it's turnaround? I hope it is soon... ;) ]

I think that Temple would be an interesting temptation for CUSA. Especially because Memphis is suddenly the big dog in CUSA having lost all competition to the BE. If Temple were picked, would that make Memphis happy? Would they not consider leaving should the BE expand again? Interesting questions.

I think that most would agree that a simple CUSA picks LaTech and WAC picks Idaho would make sense. However, where would Temple end up? Remain independent in football? I think it is very hard to do that. In fact, most of the new rules for 1-A would prevent that. 5 home games is very hard to do as an indy. It will be interesting to see what happens to Temple in all this shuffling...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:59 pm 
It appears C-USA will go with a geographically safe LA TECH (great women's bb) or expand its footprint and think about Temple (Philadelphia and good men's bb).

Don't think N. Texas will go C-USA, maybe the WAC if things go a certain way. The remaining MAC schools probably will stay put (travel has to be a factor, as it is with LA TECH looking more east).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:08 am 

Quote:

Different sources have said (I believe further back on this thread) that bball might be the driving force for the final spot. If not, then ULa, UTEP & Temple are automatically off of the list.

Our perspectives on ULa football are slightly different: The Ragin Cajuns were horrendous, I wouldn't use the word "are". Ten years ago we had two Big West Co-Chamionships. We've had crap since then but are on a slow, steady turnaround. I'll take that over one flash-in-the-pan season of success. The fact that ULa has even been mentioned should tell you how confident someone in C-USA is that the Cajuns are turning things around.

LA Tech & ULa were both in a conference with UAB. The games we play are still well attended and evoke a quite passionate response from all fans involved.

While Memphis is the Big Boy in the conference, they've only got one vote. If the rumors of presidents being buddies are true, I'd take that vote. ;)

No, memphis is not the new louisville-but their opinion will be met with high regard.
basketball is important, but, again, that is measured by at large bids-how often does ull have a top 40 rpi team? None Since the early 80s?

Nothing that has happened on the field suggests that ULL football is better than bad-the the optimism of the fans (which may be accurate), nothwithstanding.

ULL isn't alone-no candidate brings what I've asked for. So you look at other things like revenue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:37 am 
Ferf, a 2nd place finish in THE BELT, winning 4 of the last 5 games, winning more games in a 2 year span since 1996 is not turning things around ON THE FIELD?

How about I guarantee you a winning season next year and at least another 2nd place finish. It's gonna happen.

The sleeper is awakening.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:05 am 

Quote:
Ferf, a 2nd place finish in THE BELT, winning 4 of the last 5 games, winning more games in a 2 year span since 1996 is not turning things around ON THE FIELD?

How about I guarantee you a winning season next year and at least another 2nd place finish. It's gonna happen.

The sleeper is awakening.

What I said was there is no evidence that ULL is anything but a bad football team- perhaps they have improved. Who did they beat? They lost to La Monroe at home. How many ooc games did the ENTIRE sunbelt win last year (something like 2).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:50 am 
All wins last season were in conference: Idaho, New Mexico St., Middle Tennessee, FIU. Also 7 point loss at South Carolina. 7 point loss to Houston at home.

In '02 biggest win was 34-0 win at home over UAB.

Building takes time. We've been competitve before and will be again.

http://community-2.webtv.net/TJPOTIER/TJPCajunFanRagin/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:16 am 
Freshman
Freshman

TEXT

TEXT

I think the move by La. Tech to C-USA will be a great thing for all involved.

For the Dogs it will mean less expenses for traveling, immediate conference rivalries (Tulane, So. Miss) and increased revenue due to bigger crowds due to the proximity of opponents.

Tech's nationally renowed Lady Techsters will add immediately to the conference credibility and the football team is already very competitive in Divison 1-A.

Both Tech and Tulane will benefit from them being in the same conference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:03 pm 
If Temple wants in C-USA, their basketball coach, Chaney, is not helping. While the Atlantic 10 appears fine for Temple bb right now, their football program is suffering without a future conference home.
At most high profile universities, the athletic establishment attempts to speak from one voice, and usually the Athletic Director is careful to have the support of his institution's President.
Chaney speaking out in favor of maintaining Atlantic 10 affiliation is not helping Wallace and Temple football. While he has a right to his views, they should be channeled through to the school's President, and not prematurely into the public domain. As troubled as Temple athletics may be, their President needs to maintain control of public relations from all athletic sectors.
The Atlantic 10 is respectable, but no Big East or ACC in profile. With the recent departures and changes in C-USA, one may view that C-USA basketball took a hit. That being said, the Atlantic 10, long term, may not be any more lofty than C-USA in bb. In any case, C-USA could provide Temple with a needed All-Sports home, and the institution needs to consider its overall package. Otherwise, Temple could be looking at playing 1-AA football at best, with the Atlantic 10 also being their home for football.
Temple is in one of the biggest sports cities in America: Philadelphia. Too bad the institution has not cultivated the city's business and media establishment behind them.
LA Tech is taking an affirmative approach. Their whole institution seems on-board in garnering C-USA attention. I don't know whether they will be sucessful or not, but give them credit for a consolidated effort. The Ruston, Louisiana school is known for women's basketball and could perhaps transcend their success into other sports. LA Tech openly lobbying for C-USA membership seems appropriate, they do have a geographic issue as the WAC now stands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

With the way Temple basketball has been last year and this, Chaney's days may be numbered.

I really believe that Temple's best move would be to the MAC. It would be better for them travel wise and they already play several MAC teams in football and probably in basketball also.

Temple needs to get off the pot and make a decision what they are going to do and real quick, their days in the Big East are dwindling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The Atlantic 10 is respectable, but no Big East or ACC in profile... the Atlantic 10, long term, may not be any more lofty than C-USA in bb. In any case, C-USA could provide Temple with a needed All-Sports home, and the institution needs to consider its overall package. Otherwise, Temple could be looking at playing 1-AA football at best, with the Atlantic 10 also being their home for football.

While I agree with much of your sentiment lauding La Tech's efforts, I disagree with your perception on what Temple needs to do. Obviously an all sport home would be nice for them, but only in the right conditions. IMO, CUSA would be a bad move for them unless they felt really, really sure they'll be in a reconfigured BE after a split several years from now.

- Drop football to 1-AA and stay in A-10? May actually prove best for them in the long-term financially, especially as the A-10 stands to shape itself into a future MAC.
- Plus the A-10 does carry some basketball clout. Modeled after the 1-AA BE schools, the likes of Xavier, Dayton, UMass and Richmond carry some bball pedigree. Then consider St. Joe's recent progress and the additions of Charlotte and St. Louis. Either the A-10 will successfully play off the basketball fever that permeates the northeast and ACC country, or Temple would be among those targeted for any future BE moves.
- CUSA is slated for some serious losses in terms of TV exposure, bowls and money. Temple won't contribute much to the football equation, would feel distant from any rivals, and won't appreciate the league's new, more southwestern flavor.

Temple could lobby for football only membership on a trial basis while both entities consider long term otpions. IMO, Temple would be wise not to hope or consider CUSA for it's final destination.

Last edited by gunnerfan on Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next