NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 55  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
dbackjon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads reporting that ODU is still deciding on whether or not to join C-USA and "may" have to delay any announcement until after tomorrow.Link at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-wei ... rence-move


At this point, ODU has to say yes, even if they are not ready. If they pass, that could be it for many years. What happens if GMU and VCU leave the CAA after 2013? Then ODU is stuck in an America East caliber basketball conference. And if they pass on CUSA and FBS (will have years to prepare), then CUSA takes another school (say MTSU) and then Sun Belt settles in with App St. and GA Southern. At that point ODU has to hope that UD and JMU don't leave for say, the MAC.

Risky? yes. But a bigger risk to pas son the move.


Has anyone upgraded their conference affiliation and had it come back to bite them in the behind? With the possible exception of Idaho and New Mexico State?

What is the WORST that can happen to ODU? They upgrade to FBS as members of C-USA, aren't successful and have to downgrade back to FCS? They'd have built infrastructure that would be extremely good for FCS and be wanted by more conferences than if they remain stagnant?

Ultimately, the end game is FBS football leaving everyone else behind (In some ways, that's already the situation).
Is there really any difference in going for it and failing and not going for it?



WKU, UL-M
Too early still to tell about the FxU schools - they spent so little time in FCS it was like they weren't there.

A school moving on to FBS before they are financially ready can be worse in the long run.

WKU was good last year and it was only their 2nd year as FBS

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:03 pm 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:06 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Lancaster, PA
UTSA presser tomorrow @ 10:30AM CDT - http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205423417&DB_OEM_ID=13100


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 268
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads reporting that ODU is still deciding on whether or not to join C-USA and "may" have to delay any announcement until after tomorrow.Link at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-wei ... rence-move


At this point, ODU has to say yes, even if they are not ready. If they pass, that could be it for many years. What happens if GMU and VCU leave the CAA after 2013? Then ODU is stuck in an America East caliber basketball conference. And if they pass on CUSA and FBS (will have years to prepare), then CUSA takes another school (say MTSU) and then Sun Belt settles in with App St. and GA Southern. At that point ODU has to hope that UD and JMU don't leave for say, the MAC.

Risky? yes. But a bigger risk to pas son the move.


Has anyone upgraded their conference affiliation and had it come back to bite them in the behind? With the possible exception of Idaho and New Mexico State?

What is the WORST that can happen to ODU? They upgrade to FBS as members of C-USA, aren't successful and have to downgrade back to FCS? They'd have built infrastructure that would be extremely good for FCS and be wanted by more conferences than if they remain stagnant?

Ultimately, the end game is FBS football leaving everyone else behind (In some ways, that's already the situation).
Is there really any difference in going for it and failing and not going for it?



WKU, UL-M
Too early still to tell about the FxU schools - they spent so little time in FCS it was like they weren't there.

A school moving on to FBS before they are financially ready can be worse in the long run.

WKU was good last year and it was only their 2nd year as FBS



They were good for a Sunbelt team - all of their wins came in the Sunbelt. They lost AT HOME to a FCS team that wasn't good enough for the playoffs.

That just shows how crappy the football in the Sunbelt is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads reporting that ODU is still deciding on whether or not to join C-USA and "may" have to delay any announcement until after tomorrow.Link at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-wei ... rence-move


At this point, ODU has to say yes, even if they are not ready. If they pass, that could be it for many years. What happens if GMU and VCU leave the CAA after 2013? Then ODU is stuck in an America East caliber basketball conference. And if they pass on CUSA and FBS (will have years to prepare), then CUSA takes another school (say MTSU) and then Sun Belt settles in with App St. and GA Southern. At that point ODU has to hope that UD and JMU don't leave for say, the MAC.

Risky? yes. But a bigger risk to pas son the move.


Has anyone upgraded their conference affiliation and had it come back to bite them in the behind? With the possible exception of Idaho and New Mexico State?

What is the WORST that can happen to ODU? They upgrade to FBS as members of C-USA, aren't successful and have to downgrade back to FCS? They'd have built infrastructure that would be extremely good for FCS and be wanted by more conferences than if they remain stagnant?

Ultimately, the end game is FBS football leaving everyone else behind (In some ways, that's already the situation).
Is there really any difference in going for it and failing and not going for it?



WKU, UL-M
Too early still to tell about the FxU schools - they spent so little time in FCS it was like they weren't there.

A school moving on to FBS before they are financially ready can be worse in the long run.

WKU was good last year and it was only their 2nd year as FBS



They were good for a Sunbelt team - all of their wins came in the Sunbelt. They lost AT HOME to a FCS team that wasn't good enough for the playoffs.

That just shows how crappy the football in the Sunbelt is.

It's important to win sun belt games when you're in the sun belt ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7439
Brett McMurphy report that there are 5 CUSA related pressers scheduled for tomorrow,UNCC at 11:30amET,UTSA at 11:30 ET,FIU at Noon ET,LaTech at 1PM ET,and NTSU at 4:30pm ET.
He reports that ODU has NOT scheduled a presser for tomorrow.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... y/18954539


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 268
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads reporting that ODU is still deciding on whether or not to join C-USA and "may" have to delay any announcement until after tomorrow.Link at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-wei ... rence-move


At this point, ODU has to say yes, even if they are not ready. If they pass, that could be it for many years. What happens if GMU and VCU leave the CAA after 2013? Then ODU is stuck in an America East caliber basketball conference. And if they pass on CUSA and FBS (will have years to prepare), then CUSA takes another school (say MTSU) and then Sun Belt settles in with App St. and GA Southern. At that point ODU has to hope that UD and JMU don't leave for say, the MAC.

Risky? yes. But a bigger risk to pas son the move.


Has anyone upgraded their conference affiliation and had it come back to bite them in the behind? With the possible exception of Idaho and New Mexico State?

What is the WORST that can happen to ODU? They upgrade to FBS as members of C-USA, aren't successful and have to downgrade back to FCS? They'd have built infrastructure that would be extremely good for FCS and be wanted by more conferences than if they remain stagnant?

Ultimately, the end game is FBS football leaving everyone else behind (In some ways, that's already the situation).
Is there really any difference in going for it and failing and not going for it?



WKU, UL-M
Too early still to tell about the FxU schools - they spent so little time in FCS it was like they weren't there.

A school moving on to FBS before they are financially ready can be worse in the long run.

WKU was good last year and it was only their 2nd year as FBS



They were good for a Sunbelt team - all of their wins came in the Sunbelt. They lost AT HOME to a FCS team that wasn't good enough for the playoffs.

That just shows how crappy the football in the Sunbelt is.

It's important to win sun belt games when you're in the sun belt ;)


Still doesn't mean you are good.
Sunbelt went 13-26 OOC last year
Only two were against FBS teams with winning records:

ULL over SDSU
FIU over Louisville

2 wins over 2-10 Memphis
2 wins over 3-9 UAB
3 wins over bottom feeder FCS teams
1 win over 1-11 Akron (only win vs VMI)
1 win over 1-11 Indiana (only win vs SC State)
1 win over 5-7 Kent
1 win over 5-7 UCF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:27 am
Posts: 478
Location: Jacksonville, FL
dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads reporting that ODU is still deciding on whether or not to join C-USA and "may" have to delay any announcement until after tomorrow.Link at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/odu-wei ... rence-move


At this point, ODU has to say yes, even if they are not ready. If they pass, that could be it for many years. What happens if GMU and VCU leave the CAA after 2013? Then ODU is stuck in an America East caliber basketball conference. And if they pass on CUSA and FBS (will have years to prepare), then CUSA takes another school (say MTSU) and then Sun Belt settles in with App St. and GA Southern. At that point ODU has to hope that UD and JMU don't leave for say, the MAC.

Risky? yes. But a bigger risk to pas son the move.


Has anyone upgraded their conference affiliation and had it come back to bite them in the behind? With the possible exception of Idaho and New Mexico State?

What is the WORST that can happen to ODU? They upgrade to FBS as members of C-USA, aren't successful and have to downgrade back to FCS? They'd have built infrastructure that would be extremely good for FCS and be wanted by more conferences than if they remain stagnant?

Ultimately, the end game is FBS football leaving everyone else behind (In some ways, that's already the situation).
Is there really any difference in going for it and failing and not going for it?



WKU, UL-M
Too early still to tell about the FxU schools - they spent so little time in FCS it was like they weren't there.

A school moving on to FBS before they are financially ready can be worse in the long run.

WKU was good last year and it was only their 2nd year as FBS



They were good for a Sunbelt team - all of their wins came in the Sunbelt. They lost AT HOME to a FCS team that wasn't good enough for the playoffs.

That just shows how crappy the football in the Sunbelt is.

It's important to win sun belt games when you're in the sun belt ;)


Still doesn't mean you are good.
Sunbelt went 13-26 OOC last year
Only two were against FBS teams with winning records:

ULL over SDSU
FIU over Louisville

2 wins over 2-10 Memphis
2 wins over 3-9 UAB
3 wins over bottom feeder FCS teams
1 win over 1-11 Akron (only win vs VMI)
1 win over 1-11 Indiana (only win vs SC State)
1 win over 5-7 Kent
1 win over 5-7 UCF


Hey, that's 5 wins over Big East teams (Louisville, SDSU, UCF, Memphis X2). Movin' on up! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 882
But why is being not good at FBS football making WKU worse off?

_________________
1897-1898 | 1900-06 | 1926-27 | 1929-30 | 1939 | 1942


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:58 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
JPSchmack wrote:
But why is being not good at FBS football making WKU worse off?


sign me up for 8-4 not being good. JMU beat VT, App beat Mich. it's not surprising that a SBC school lost to a FCS school, it happens. No one says Mich, VT should go FCS.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7439
Article out of Hampton Roads discussing ODU/C-USA situation at http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/five-sa ... erence-usa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 268
JPSchmack wrote:
But why is being not good at FBS football making WKU worse off?


If WKU had a chance to go to the MVC or A-10, but needed to go back to FCS to accomidate it, they'd do it in a heart beat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 268
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
But why is being not good at FBS football making WKU worse off?


sign me up for 8-4 not being good. JMU beat VT, App beat Mich. it's not surprising that a SBC school lost to a FCS school, it happens. No one says Mich, VT should go FCS.


They were 7-5. Lost all OOC games badly.

Wnning 7 games in a subpar league is no accomplishment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7439
Official expansion release from C-USA site regarding 5 new members at http://www.conferenceusa.com/genrel/050412aab.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 882
I think you guys are missing the point.

WKU was a Sun Belt school with FCS football. Now they're a Sun Belt school with FBS football. They aren't worse off at all now.




Also, ODU has a board meeting on May 14 in which the realignment will be discussed.

The board actually has little if any information about it and has to go over some briefings first.

_________________
1897-1898 | 1900-06 | 1926-27 | 1929-30 | 1939 | 1942


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
dbackjon wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
JPSchmack wrote:
But why is being not good at FBS football making WKU worse off?


sign me up for 8-4 not being good. JMU beat VT, App beat Mich. it's not surprising that a SBC school lost to a FCS school, it happens. No one says Mich, VT should go FCS.


They were 7-5. Lost all OOC games badly.

Wnning 7 games in a subpar league is no accomplishment.

Most of the world thinks going 12-2 in FCS isn't one either since it's not against BCS schools, so either way it doesn't matter to most of the world.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 55  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Quinn and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group