NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7369
Tennessean article with comments from SEC Commish and others regarding how the new proposed D-1 autonomy rules "may" hurt conferences "like" CUSA at http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... es/7991055


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7369
Article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)with comments from C-USA Commish regarding C-USA membership situation and other issues at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2014/07/cus ... ig-changes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:35 pm 
Online
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 283
Location: Austin, Texas
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)with comments from C-USA Commish regarding C-USA membership situation and other issues at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2014/07/cus ... ig-changes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


As mentioned by the Commish, ....I feel that C-USA did some pretty good planning to grab: Charlotte, Old Dominion, UTSA, and La Tech. I also see why JMU would rather be a part of C-USA rather than the SBC.
I have to guess, that they(CUSA) had some foreknowledge that they would be loosing a few schools in the future...that's why they had potential schools already on their list.

Too bad the SBC didn't have a good plan in the works in case of trouble. You would think that a bottom feeder conference would ALWAYS be ready for schools transitioning upwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 635
Location: Columbus, OH
Mozilla--I somewhat agree. C-USA had some vision and realized that with the way college football is heading they needed to add for markets rather than programs that would immediately be successful. I think they did a decent job too but it was also a product of the way the Big East/American slowly picked them apart. They took UCF, SMU, and Houston first; then Memphis, came back again for Tulane and ECU and then finally Tulsa. As they rebuilt they just plugged in gaps. Had all 7 departed at once I think the 5 remaining schools would have responded much differently, possibly merging into the Sunbelt completely rather than picking them apart and letting the SBC restock with FCS call ups. Marshall might have lobbied to go back to the MAC.

As for the Sunbelt, I think they had a plan but never expected to get hit as hard as they did. Personally I think they did I decent job rebuilding under the circumstances. Texas St was a good grab, Georgia St brought a great market and will be a work in progress and Appalachian St and Georgia Southern bring great FCS credentials. I don't get why they are stalling for 12 unless someone they want (other than JMU) told them they needed another year to get ready. If they don't get to 12 then the whole deal with Idaho is merely an act of charity. They really ought to dump the Vandals as soon as it's convenient. Who wants to go to Moscow, ID to play in a 16,000 seat aircraft hangar?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 pm 
Online
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 283
Location: Austin, Texas
fighting muskie wrote:
Mozilla--I somewhat agree. C-USA had some vision and realized that with the way college football is heading they needed to add for markets rather than programs that would immediately be successful. I think they did a decent job too but it was also a product of the way the Big East/American slowly picked them apart. They took UCF, SMU, and Houston first; then Memphis, came back again for Tulane and ECU and then finally Tulsa. As they rebuilt they just plugged in gaps. Had all 7 departed at once I think the 5 remaining schools would have responded much differently, possibly merging into the Sunbelt completely rather than picking them apart and letting the SBC restock with FCS call ups. Marshall might have lobbied to go back to the MAC.

As for the Sunbelt, I think they had a plan but never expected to get hit as hard as they did. Personally I think they did I decent job rebuilding under the circumstances. Texas St was a good grab, Georgia St brought a great market and will be a work in progress and Appalachian St and Georgia Southern bring great FCS credentials. I don't get why they are stalling for 12 unless someone they want (other than JMU) told them they needed another year to get ready. If they don't get to 12 then the whole deal with Idaho is merely an act of charity. They really ought to dump the Vandals as soon as it's convenient. Who wants to go to Moscow, ID to play in a 16,000 seat aircraft hangar?


Good thoughts.

I totally agree with Texas State and Georgia State.
And App State is a worthy candidate.
Not totally sold on G. Southern....and if, Idaho was just in the name of charity with a dash of survival sprinkled on top....then I guess I can understand that. But, with a school like UMass available soon, and UMass is much closer to JMU than Idaho...plus, UMass has some good academics and is located in a very populated area. Things could have looked much different if Benson hadn't jumped the gun by adding schools before they had their whole game plan figured out.

Anyway, back to CUSA.
With the added basketball of Charlotte and ODU....could that make UTEP reconsider a jump to the MWC? One drawback to the MWC.....there seems to be a ceiling on advancement. If a MWC school doesn't have Pac 12 appeal....there is no where else to go..to gain a more seasoning. CUSA is on the east coast and central...where there are plenty of options for a school who has higher aspirations(ACC, AAC, SEC, Big 12, B1G, A-10, Big East). Realistically, UTEP doesn't have much chance to move past the MWC...but, there is no reason to cap their ceiling, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 635
Location: Columbus, OH
UTEP will always be in a predicament in terms of conference affiliation. Their geographic isolation, lack of attractive media market, and their general mediocrity in football make them fairly unattractive. C-USA and the MWC are really the ceiling for the Miners. In C-USA they will always be that westernmost outpost and a geographic outlier. Even if they were able to go to the MWC they'd be in the very southeastern most corner of the footprint.

I simply don't see the American ever having an interest in UTEP even if they were to lose members in some cataclysmic realignment among the power 5. The American will be shopping for markets in the event they lose members. UTSA, FAU, FIU, and even newcomers Georgia St and Charlotte would being them more money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 192
I always had a "thing" or whatever you would call it for the 12 members of CUSA that went from 2005 to 2013. Maybe it was because CUSA was decent during those years, but when I play around with realignment to the American or Mt West, I always go to those schools first. The ones who haven't been moved since the American was formed are Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Rice, and UTEP.

Southern Miss - talk about getting crappy at the wrong time. Their basketball has done well, but the football has been worse than awful. Southern Miss would not be a bad option moving forward if they can get their act together in the next couple seasons. Only 2 other FBS schools in Mississippi and both are SEC schools (not going anywhere unless a catastrophic SEC fallout occurs.)

UAB is not in an oversaturated environment to move forward. There are 5 FBS schools in Alabama, but 2 are Sun Belt (probably Sun Belt or CUSA for life) and 2 are SEC (same as Mississippi schools.) Never really been great at anything, but they are in a fairly good market. In fact, Googling "NFL expansion," Birmingham has been brought up by a few people as a possible Southern market. Not saying it's a good idea, but just saying it's a good market.

Marshall is 1 of 2 FBS schools in West Virginia and the other will find a permanent Power-5 home if the XII implodes. Marshall has never been a walkover. I would think if the American goes to 16 at any point (especially if further realignment takes schools from them), Marshall would be a top option.

Rice has incredible academics/AAU, giant market (Houston), and up-and-coming football (recent CUSA champs.) Their basketball sucks but their baseball is always top notch. Some people are even calling them a PAC possibility. I don't know if the American would ever be interested unless U of Houston heads elsewhere.

UTEP is interesting because they are geographically isolated. Many say the Mt West will be their new home in however many years. I agree - eventually. The Group of 5 are limited to how much money the entire conference makes to like $12M, so by adding UTEP, each school would make a little less. I do think UTEP deserves better than the current CUSA setup (same with the other 4 schools listed above), but that may be just personal preference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:33 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1006
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
BePcr07 wrote:
I always had a "thing" or whatever you would call it for the 12 members of CUSA that went from 2005 to 2013. Maybe it was because CUSA was decent during those years, but when I play around with realignment to the American or Mt West, I always go to those schools first. The ones who haven't been moved since the American was formed are Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, Rice, and UTEP.

Southern Miss - talk about getting crappy at the wrong time. Their basketball has done well, but the football has been worse than awful. Southern Miss would not be a bad option moving forward if they can get their act together in the next couple seasons. Only 2 other FBS schools in Mississippi and both are SEC schools (not going anywhere unless a catastrophic SEC fallout occurs.)

UAB is not in an oversaturated environment to move forward. There are 5 FBS schools in Alabama, but 2 are Sun Belt (probably Sun Belt or CUSA for life) and 2 are SEC (same as Mississippi schools.) Never really been great at anything, but they are in a fairly good market. In fact, Googling "NFL expansion," Birmingham has been brought up by a few people as a possible Southern market. Not saying it's a good idea, but just saying it's a good market.

Marshall is 1 of 2 FBS schools in West Virginia and the other will find a permanent Power-5 home if the XII implodes. Marshall has never been a walkover. I would think if the American goes to 16 at any point (especially if further realignment takes schools from them), Marshall would be a top option.

Rice has incredible academics/AAU, giant market (Houston), and up-and-coming football (recent CUSA champs.) Their basketball sucks but their baseball is always top notch. Some people are even calling them a PAC possibility. I don't know if the American would ever be interested unless U of Houston heads elsewhere.

UTEP is interesting because they are geographically isolated. Many say the Mt West will be their new home in however many years. I agree - eventually. The Group of 5 are limited to how much money the entire conference makes to like $12M, so by adding UTEP, each school would make a little less. I do think UTEP deserves better than the current CUSA setup (same with the other 4 schools listed above), but that may be just personal preference.


I agree with most of your comments on each school. However, you forgot that UTEP had certain rivalry histories with most of the current MW schools back in the old WAC football days (Since like 1967: BYU, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado St., San Diego St., Hawaii, Air Force; Since like 1992: Fresno St., UNLV, TCU, San Jose St., Nevada; exceptions: Utah St.).

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 am 
Online
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 283
Location: Austin, Texas
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

I agree with most of your comments on each school. However, you forgot that UTEP had certain rivalry histories with most of the current MW schools back in the old WAC football days (Since like 1967: BYU, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado St., San Diego St., Hawaii, Air Force; Since like 1992: Fresno St., UNLV, TCU, San Jose St., Nevada; exceptions: Utah St.).



Forgot to mention rivalries? He(BePcr07) didn't mention any schools rivals.

Ok...you listed some rivalries...but, what are you tying it into? Your point is quite elusive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 pm 
Online
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 283
Location: Austin, Texas
I feel that with the added basketball talent of Charlotte and ODU...the basketball side of the conference has some room to grow. And along the same lines...maybe the youth of Charlotte and ODU in fb will help the Miner's win a few more games?

I really don't see that the MWC has much to tempt UTEP with.

In CUSA they get to play other Texas schools which allows them to recruit three of the major recruiting hubs in the state. They also get to recruit in another hot bed for athletes....Florida. Down side for CUSA....maybe, Birmingham, or Hattiesburg?

On the MWC recruiting side....they get Fresno and San Jose. Which I believe is the MW's best recruiting state...California. On the down side....Wyoming, Boise, Reno. Closest group of schools, instead of Texas...is New Mexico/AirForce. Nothing against NMU and Air Force...but, to trade UTSA, N Tex and Rice...for UNM/AFA...isn't really an attractive trade, is it?

I guess, it really depends on what UTEP wants...but, as I see it...CUSA has just about everything they could want, at this point or stage.

On a lighter note...
It's too bad that UTEP can't figure out a way to exploit the number of people crossing the boarder into being UTEP fans. Maybe, a penny per person goes to UTEP's athletic fund...and everyone gets a ticket to a game. They would be rich in minutes. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group