NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Hampton Roads with C-USA/UAB update at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2015/01/the ... r-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Thanks so much for the article!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of Hampton Roads with C-USA/UAB update at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2015/01/the ... r-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad that UAB Blazer football might return from the dead. When I watched my Buckeyes beat Tuscaloosa Junior College I was hoping that they would avenge the Blazers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Soon as they announced they were shutting down FB all these articles started tearing apart the Carr report. I believe that the Carr report is wrong and hope that UAB can re-start FB down the road. But the timing of this seems a little iffy to me. C-USA was meeting to discuss what to do with UAB. This now gives UAB a momentary breather and pushes back C-USA decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Will a Carr report in the future be worth the paper it is written on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think the case with the Carr report is that the UA system paid to get a report that told them exactly what they wanted to hear. UAB's financial situation wasn't too dissimilar from its peers and conference mates. Having a football program gave the institution to a certain degree of pride and a sense of superiority over schools in the region with similar enrollments and academic profiles who did not. Running such a program on a deficit is not all that uncommon among the ranks of the Group of 5 and the FCS ranks. in UAB's case, they were governed by a board whose primary concern was promoting the interests of the Tuscaloosa campus over those of Birmingham and Huntsville. UAB Blazer football represented a potential donation drain from the Crimson Tide and, using the premise of saving money and reducing waste, eliminated that threat.

I wouldn't be so disappointed if UAB was governed by its own body and was financially unable to carry on the program but that's not the case. 85 male student athletes and likely the same number of female student lost the opportunity to plat on the DI stage because Alabama needs millions and millions to pay Nick Saban and all of his overpaid assistants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

These things are done knowing full well that even if they don't permanently stick, the sort of work, approvals, budgeting, and haggling make the resurrection task so difficult, it's almost easier to let it stay dead. And, it instantly forces those on the outside, the boosters, to front the bill for something they kind of shouldn't have to.

It's easy to smear and steer UAB's into the grave. When they aren't the flagships and aren't subsidized as well by outside stakeholders, it's easy to statistically marginalize and vilify them from above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

I was also surprised to see how quickly the team had been disbanded. It seems to me like the decision was made and the coaches and athletes were rapidly removed before the story was allowed to break. This way, even if a reversal might be in the offing, there would be no way for a team to reform in any capacity for spring or summer camps to be prepared for fall 2015 play - thus proving the team is a waste of money when they can't pull in decent wins on the field for the fall of 2015.
What do you guys think about this view?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I was also surprised to see how quickly the team had been disbanded. It seems to me like the decision was made and the coaches and athletes were rapidly removed before the story was allowed to break. This way, even if a reversal might be in the offing, there would be no way for a team to reform in any capacity for spring or summer camps to be prepared for fall 2015 play - thus proving the team is a waste of money when they can't pull in decent wins on the field for the fall of 2015.
What do you guys think about this view?

I kind of agree. I figured when the news was broken the school would shut down the team after the following season. It makes it kind of fishy in my thoughts mainly because they had a schedule next year were out of conference they don't leave the state of Alabama for any of the games but 1 where they go to Tennessee.It seemed kind of rushed and sort of sudden.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hampton Roads discussing some of the options for C-USA regarding the UAB membership situation that will be discussed at this week's league meetings at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2015/01/los ... ne-odu-too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The loss of UAB football certainly puts C-USA and all of its member schools in a bind. I hope they grant UAB a 1 year grace to get their house in order and either reinstate the program or find a comfortable new conference home. It would be harsh to just let dump them without having time to get a new conference lined up. UAB has been in this league since day 1 and only they and Southern Miss have been there since the founding in 1995. I don't think they should get to stay without football but let the move be graceful and as amicable as possible.

Another random thought-- C-USA should reach out to UMass and/or the Sunbelt about playing a C-USA team the last week of the season since they have an odd number of teams. UTSA VS Texas St could be a good end of season match up. Or UTEP and MNSU (they already play annually so it would seem to be a logical move.) Other possibilities could be LA Tech vs ULL/ ULM or Charlotte vs Appalachian St.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hampton Roads regarding this week's C-USA meetings where the UAB membership situation was discussed without a decision being reached.Link at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2015/01/con ... cision-uab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 am 
Senior
Senior

Yeah it appears that C-USA is not really wanting to kick UAB out. But if UAB doesn't re-start FB then I don't see the conference changing their rule so then UAB would have to leave. Question is rather or not C-USA replaces them or not. C-USA may be willing to stay at 13 and ride it out and see if they were to lose another member at some point to get back to 12.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64