NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The Missouri Valley usually gets two and sometimes three members into the Big Dance (easier to do when Creighton was there). The MVC should now try to catch up to the Atlantic-10 and aim for 3-4 every year. UAB would be a good start. Make the 12th a more sure bet though.

Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton??? If not directly from the A-10 and assuming no C-USA...

UNC-Branch Campus. Hey, if you're bringing in Alabama-Branch... why not? They do pretty well in hoops (UNC-Wilmington probably the best of the bunch).
Winthrop... same region as above... gets to the dance every now and then.

Valparaiso ... my pick with UAB. Both Valpo and UAB add quality and have relevant Big Dance history.
Murray State... would also be a great pick for the same reasons.
Eastern Kentucky or Belmont ... not quite Murray State but above average for a current MVC hoops program.

Wofford or Chattanooga... I don't the stats or anything but one is a Tennessee-Branch and the other fields a good hoops team year after year.

New Mexico State? Do they love awful football enough to miss out on legitimately good basketball? They used to actually challenge (and sometime beat) UNLV back in the late 80's... I'm they would be up for the challenge of the current MVC. Question is, how much to they love partial Sun Belt Football?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

bigshotbob wrote:
The Missouri Valley usually gets two and sometimes three members into the Big Dance (easier to do when Creighton was there). The MVC should now try to catch up to the Atlantic-10 and aim for 3-4 every year. UAB would be a good start. Make the 12th a more sure bet though.

Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton??? If not directly from the A-10 and assuming no C-USA...

UNC-Branch Campus. Hey, if you're bringing in Alabama-Branch... why not? They do pretty well in hoops (UNC-Wilmington probably the best of the bunch).
Winthrop... same region as above... gets to the dance every now and then.

Valparaiso ... my pick with UAB. Both Valpo and UAB add quality and have relevant Big Dance history.
Murray State... would also be a great pick for the same reasons.
Eastern Kentucky or Belmont ... not quite Murray State but above average for a current MVC hoops program.

Wofford or Chattanooga... I don't the stats or anything but one is a Tennessee-Branch and the other fields a good hoops team year after year.

New Mexico State? Do they love awful football enough to miss out on legitimately good basketball? They used to actually challenge (and sometime beat) UNLV back in the late 80's... I'm they would be up for the challenge of the current MVC. Question is, how much to they love partial Sun Belt Football?

No disrespect, but should UAB get booted out by C-USA, I think that UAB should be on a more regional-based conference. Because I sincerely don't see UAB in the MVC, it would damage the conference's footprint geographically. UAB would prefer to be in the A-Sun or the Sun Belt (which they were a former member of).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UAB definitely does NOT prefer to be in the A-Sun from everything that has come out in the media, although perhaps that would suit some trustees' wishes a little better.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
UAB definitely does NOT prefer to be in the A-Sun from everything that has come out in the media, although perhaps that would suit some trustees' wishes a little better.

Ok, I understand that the A-Sun is not the right league home for UAB. But also the MVC does NOT have to be a preferred league home either. Like c'mon! Despite the payment fee to exit from C-USA is lesser than what could be offered of that by the Sun Belt, geographically it would damage that conference. like the other 10 would have to travel in the South for at least once every year.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UAB's geography isn't that bad, and I think if the MVC winds up with them, you'll see another school like Belmont or Murray State (probably Belmont) join with them. It's not that far from Nashville to Evansville (or Indiana State for that matter) and Birmingham is only a few hours' drive south of Nashville.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:50 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UAB certainly sees the MVC as their preferred destination if they get booted by C-USA but as far a know the MVC has given zero indication that they are interested or would even entertain the idea of adding the Blazers. It's hard to ascertain whether or not there is even a mutual interest there.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am 
Senior
Senior

Not looking good for UAB football!
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015 ... ll_no.html

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hibbett2222 wrote:
Not looking good for UAB football!
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015 ... ll_no.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Such a shame. That school and community clearly want a football program the only ones who don't are Watts and Bear's brat son.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66