NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

I am glad UAB will be getting their football program back. Even though I'm not a fan or even follow them all that much, this was the right move. A couple notes that came to mind regarding the conferences:

1) I really enjoy hypothetical conference realignment discussion - probably to an unnecessary level. However, this singular decision to bring back UAB football literally dismantles a ton of discussion we've had here and other places have had over possible moves.

2) CUSA is good for a while unless they get poached.
East : Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Marshall, Middle Tennessee St, Western Kentucky
West: UTEP, UTSA, Rice, North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, UAB

3) Massachusetts is kinda screwed for the time being.

4) The Sun Belt will not lose a member to CUSA. This will help solidify the conference a bit which may allow schools considering moving up to feel like the situation is more stable.

5) The only FBS conference who can really make much noise with realignment within the FBS now is the XII which may then cause a mini-avalanche effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:39 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Speaking as an expansion junkie, I would rather see a UAB domino effect than a UAB lazarus effect. But hey, they fought for their cause and got their program back which appeals to the underdog in me as well. My only UAB football memory is of my morbid curiosity in watching an "are they or aren't they worthy" Marshall play in "the final home game ever" for UAB last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't expect to see another major conference realignment cascade, at least among the big boys, until something drastic happens with the Big 12 and/or ACC. We could see some moves among the little guys. The A-Sun is desperate right now and I'll be curious as to what option they take:

1. Go the DII route and bring up somebody
2. Take pity on NJIT (at least until a northeastern league decides they want them)
3. Chase after a WAC school (Chicago St, UMKC, UTRGV) potentially destabilizing that conference
4. Pull what the WAC did with UMKC and convince someone from a better league to downgrade

Not what I call edge of your seat expansion and realignment action but at least it's something to ponder. Until then we are just left to our napkins, legal pads, and spreadsheets as we consider the what ifs and possibilities out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NBCSports article(previously posted in another thread)discussing upcoming C-USA TV rights negotiations at http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... 015-season

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Huntington discussing whether current C-USA member Marshall should consider a move to a conference "like" the AAC if a future opportunity presented itself.Link at http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... n-AAC-side

(Site requires a subscription.I will try to obtain an alternate link if possible)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Huntington discussing whether current C-USA member Marshall should consider a move to a conference "like" the AAC if a future opportunity presented itself.Link at http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... n-AAC-side" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Site requires a subscription.I will try to obtain an alternate link if possible)

If you couldn't read the article....
to surmise....they author said that Marshall should stay in CUSA instead of move up to compete against schools that were proven stronger...back when they were in CUSA. That is....IF, Cincy were taken by the Big 12.

I don't know if I agree.
Marshall would be able to compete as well as, if not better than, the alternatives. The alternatives being: UMass, Army, N. Illinois, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

In this hypothetical scenario where Marshall received an AAC invite I guess it would come down to dollars and cents and if the AAC would be able to offer substantially more. Marshall is in a fairly good situation at the moment. They are the strongest football program in the C-USA East and have 4 schools in driving distance. they get an annual recruiting trip to Florida and about every other year get a recruiting trip to Texas for a cross-division game (off years to LA/MS/AL). They are currently in a position where they should be able to return to having seasons with the win totals they enjoyed as MAC members

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
In this hypothetical scenario where Marshall received an AAC invite I guess it would come down to dollars and cents and if the AAC would be able to offer substantially more. Marshall is in a fairly good situation at the moment. They are the strongest football program in the C-USA East and have 4 schools in driving distance. they get an annual recruiting trip to Florida and about every other year get a recruiting trip to Texas for a cross-division game (off years to LA/MS/AL). They are currently in a position where they should be able to return to having seasons with the win totals they enjoyed as MAC members

I feel that it is more likely that the AAC will lose two schools instead of just one.

Wouldn't the AAC rather have schools from Norfolk, San Antonio or Charlotte before Huntington?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I feel that it is more likely that the AAC will lose two schools instead of just one.

Wouldn't the AAC rather have schools from Norfolk, San Antonio or Charlotte before Huntington?

That's why I called it a hypothetical scenario. Any of those markets would be more desirable than Huntington. My preference would be UTSA--solves the East/West unbalance. The other two are currently playing in tiny stadiums and ODU's is ancient.

A lot depends on who the AAC loses in the future and what the philosophies and biases of the remaining schools are. There might be some interest in looking at MAC schools or frequently tossed around UMass rather than going to C-USA like they've done in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
A lot depends on who the AAC loses in the future and what the philosophies and biases of the remaining schools are. There might be some interest in looking at MAC schools or frequently tossed around UMass rather than going to C-USA like they've done in the past.

MAC....Are you referring to N. Illinois to the AAC? Or, do you believe that the AAC is strong enough to pry a school out of Ohio?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

MAC....Are you referring to N. Illinois to the AAC? Or, do you believe that the AAC is strong enough to pry a school out of Ohio?

NIU seems like the most plausible but maybe Buffalo could graze their radar or the Bulls could put together a string of winning seasons. I love the Ohio schools in the MAC but it doesn't seem like any one school can rise above the rest for any sustained period of time.

With that said, I think there are better places to look than than the MAC for replacement schools.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67