NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:46 pm 
UTEP is gone from the WAC:
http://www.wacsports.com/article.asp?articleid=57073

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:17 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

So now what?

I suggest someone give a "State of the Conference" address.

WAC membership:

Boise State
Fresno St
Hawaii
LA Tech
Nevada
Rice - gone to C-USA in 2005
SJSU
SMU - gone to C-USA in 2005
Tulsa - gone to C-USA in 2005
UTEP - gone to C-USA in 2005

Add New Mexico State and Utah State in 2005.

They'd be up to 8 at that point.

To add cushioning?

-Idaho has an acceptance letter to the WAC all typed up and ready to go, I guess, but the WAC schools have to ask them first. Namely, Boise State.

-North Texas would probably go if asked, and LA Tech is probably beating down the commissioner's door to get this moving. If not, they're nuts. There are no travel partners for LA Tech at the moment, and when your closest competitor in the conference for any sports is in New Mexico, and you're in Louisiana, you're completely out of place.

-Anyone else? Aside of a lengthy I-AA upgrade, the Sun Belt is about the only conference that would source teams trying to move up. The WAC is too far down in the pecking order for a MWC or C-USA school to transfer. The Sun Belt (aside of previously mentioned Idaho, who is really out to dry at the moment for football) consists of no similar schools to the WAC in terms of geography. (Denver is too weak a program and has no football.)

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:02 pm 

Well, From an article i just read from SunBeltSports.org...it seems that North Texas might not be willing to go to the WAC...I think the WAC will definitely take Idaho...because if North Texas won't go to the WAC...Ark State, UL-Laf, and La Tech will not be in the WAC...the WAC might take Denver as an associate member so they can get the baseball thing down...

La Tech will either be and independent...or in the Sun Belt...It would have been nice for La Tech to be in C-USA, but everything will work out in the next few months...and it's even more interesting now to see what's going to happen to La. Tech, Idaho, Denver, Temple, and other teams that are "out of place"

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:44 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

thats what i got out of that article too. there was talk from la tech fans about establishing a new wac east, but with this, i think that talk should be put to rest.

i agree with you and would not rule out idaho joining the wac, but denver doesnt have baseball, crosscountry, or track (it lacks both indoor and outdoor) so i really doubt the wac would want them.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:19 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

idaho is a must...if you look at olympic sports in the wac, the texas schools and tulsa made up an important part of keeping the wac together. to stay alive as a conference, the wac really needs idaho, not only for a football #9 but to keep their standing in olympic sports alive. expect an idaho invite really really soon.

keeping la tech in the conference is also vital. they provide teams in key olympic sports (track and baseball) that keep the conference afloat. losing them as well as utep could prove to be a knockout blow. the wac needs to beg and plead w/ north texas to provide that bridge, but i dont think it will work after reading the sunbelt statement of solidarity.

so from here the wac needs to invite idaho and try and pray that north texas will help them out. denver is not likely candidate due to the fact they provide nothing the wac really needs and are not a football school. the wac will need afilliate members in some sports, but im sure a deal can be worked out (in one of my previous posts i went through all the scenarios in which the wac will need affliate members). the wac can stay alive even after losing utep, but its days as a d1a football conference depend on how long the mwc wants to stay at 9.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:47 am 
I really hope the MWC administration gets their $hit together soon and realizes what a great opportunity we have right now to destroy the Western Athletic Conference.

UTEP will be accepting a CUSA invite in a matter of days. As soon as UTEP accepts that invite it will be crucial that the Mountain West make a bold move to completely destroy the WAC!

Fresno State, Nevada and Boise State should be offered immediate MWC-12 invites the second that UTEP accepts the bid to CUSA-12.

Our main competition the WAC would be absolutely destroyed if that happened, they would be left with Hawaii, Louisiana Tech and bunch of dead weight in between. The WAC would not be able to survive the losses of Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State and UTEP,.... that would be the end of the WAC.

Hawaii would have to go independent in Football.

San Jose State would drop Football and join the Big West.

Utah State, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech would be forced to go back to the Sunbelt with their tails between their legs.

This a strategic move that the Mountain West leadership must make to secure our spot as a Western Power for the next 50+ years! This is a critical time in the history of College Sports and if we could eliminate the WAC from existence it would do wonders to help the future chances for the Mountain West in all sports!

We must become the MWC-12 right now!

UTEP leaving the WAC and joining CUSA is a major blow to the stability of the WAC. The WAC is ready to be destroyed and the MWC leaders must have the guts to do what has to be done.

These moves must be made for the long term good of the Mountain West, if we take a hit financially in the short term that is fine because we know we will make it up over the long haul.

Adding three schools like Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State may not be something that helps the Mountain West today but it is without a doubt what needs to be done to secure our seat at the BCS table tommorrow.

The Mountain West must make bold moves to secure our future. We must lock up the Western part of the United States so that only two conferences exist out here (PAC-10 and MWC-12), this will guarantee us a spot at the table within 15-20 years. The West is growing at an unbelievable rate and will continue to grow faster than the rest of the country, long term this is good news for the PAC-10 and MWC-12 because it means we will have more recruits available to choose from and to stack our conferences with. It is only a matter of time until the MWC-12 and PAC-10 would completely dominate the collegiate sports world. That is why the WAC must be eliminated, no matter what it takes it must be accomplished. We do not need the WAC sticking around, growing stronger and becoming our competition. The WAC shouldn't even exist.

The MWC-12 could host a Football Championship game in a new Football Stadium that will be built in San Diego California. This MWC-12 Championship may not be a huge success from day one but over time as we build the tradition it will grow and become a great source of revenue for this conference. This Championship game is something that has to be built over time, right now we are wasting year after year of not building this great tradition while other Conferences are only getting stronger and making more and more money.

A MWC-12 Basketball Tournament could become a huge money maker for this conference over time also. It isn't going to sellout 20,000 per game in the first year but if we built the Tournament it wouldn't be long before each of the MWC-12 schools would be bringing 2,000 or 3,000 fans each year and the Tournament would become a huge success! I am talking standing room only for people to attend the event. This won't happen overnite but must be built, each year we waste a great opportunity to build stronger rivalries and stronger Conference Championships.

Imagine Football rivalry weekend at the end of November for the MWC-12 with:

MWC Rivalry Weekend
UNLV vs. Nevada
BYU vs. Utah
Fresno State vs. SDSU
Colorado State vs. Wyoming
Air Force vs. Boise State
New Mexico vs. TCU

We could build rivalry weekend into a great tradition for this conference but that isn't going to happen unless we make the bold move to 12 teams and kill off the annoying WAC!

We without a doubt want to improve our Mountain West Conference image. The way to do that is by investing in the future and making bold moves that will secure us a place at the table, not today but maybe tommorrow. To do that we must lock up the Western part of the United States so that only two major conferences will exist out here.... The PAC-10 and MWC-12!

The 12 of us need to work together to build a great conference, otherwise alone we are going to all crumble. The MWC could be great if it was willing to invest in the future, if it keeps living in the past or is afraid to fight for what is rightfully ours.... we will die a slow death. That is what is happening now, a slow painful death into nothingness.

Kill the WAC Now!

MWC-12

Western Division
UNLV
Nevada
BYU
Utah
Fresno State
San Diego State

Eastern Division
Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
Wyoming
New Mexico
TCU

Grow some balls Thompson! Do what needs to be done for our future.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

All I can say is that you had to hear Karl Benson on KTIK yesterday in Boise. (There's probably a link at http://www.ktik.com/

He gave a fairly lucid assessment for North Texas. Something short of that for Lafayette.

Then there was Idaho.

In a stammering response, he talked about the history of the athletic program, the nationwide name recognition, then threw in (with about the worst paraphrasing I've ever done, but with the words he definitely used underlined), "...their, um, history is more impressive than their future..."

I am very d**n convinced that he meant to say present rather than future, but he never bothered to correct his statement.

All this on the station that currently broadcasts Vandal athletics in Boise, though the host of the show in question did play for Boise State. IIRC, Benson is a Boise State grad. Supply your own handful of salt.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:16 am 
Senior
Senior

I listened to that interview on streaming audio last night. It really did sound as though NTU is #1 on his list. Travel partner for La Tech as the primary reason. About the only real positive I heard about Idaho's case is when speaking to the issue of academics and how that is important to a conference. He seemed to rate his priorities in this order.

1. Football strength
2. Geograghics
3. Demograghics
4. Basketball strength
5. Image/Academics

Idaho looks to have its work cut out for it. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:15 pm 

Quote:
I listened to that interview on streaming audio last night. It really did sound as though NTU is #1 on his list. Travel partner for La Tech as the primary reason. About the only real positive I heard about Idaho's case is when speaking to the issue of academics and how that is important to a conference. He seemed to rate his priorities in this order.

1. Football strength
2. Geograghics
3. Demograghics
4. Basketball strength
5. Image/Academics

Idaho looks to have its work cut out for it. :)

Football strength--Hasn't been the best recently, but that's because we are in a terrible conference, the Sun Belt. It doesn't fit for us regionally and has our recruiting all out of whack.

Geographics--C'mon, how much more Western can you get? We are only 6 hours from the coast, 6 hours from Boise, etc. I think we fit nicely.

Demographics--Yeah, it's hard. But we are growing. Demographics get better if there is a better conference...

Basketball strenght--It's getting better. I think that we would compete well in the WAC.

Image/Academics-- Two words: SLAM DUNK! This isn't a problem at all.

I think that the WAC will invite us because we are a good western member. Even though North Texas would look like a better member, I think they are VERY happy in the Sun Belt. Why leave? They are kinda in the middle so they fit in either a southeastern conference or a west/midwest conference.

One other thing to note is that the WAC knows our response to being invited. HELL YES!!! ;) North Texas isn't as certain. I think that the WAC will invite Idaho and maybe LaTech will wake up and go to the SunBelt. The SunBelt is not too bad of a conference now...

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

Good to hear from you again VandalFan. For the life of me, I can't see the WAC passing on Idaho. There are few enough 1-A programs out west and the WAC needs every single one of them to survive. If the WAC doesn't take Idaho, they will be forced to drop back to the Big Sky (not a bad place...ask Montana) and there will one less option should the MWC come calling.

Benson's idea, according to that interview, seems to be different. If that is the case I seriously doubt his ability to lead the conference. Look at the last wave of re-alignment and what it cost the WAC: SMU, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP. Notice anything there? All Central Time Zone schools. Adding more is only asking to be raided again, say if Rice decides to drop football or the MWC takes Houston and CUSA if forced to add again.

The WAC should not only invite Idaho, but encourage more upward movement of schools in the west, ie. Montana, Montana St., Portland St, UC Davis, Sacramento St., Pacific et. al.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:17 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

after idaho, there are NO more western teams that would join the wac as a division 1a football playing member. if the mwc were to take 1 or 3 teams from the wac, then who could the wac convince to move up from 1-aa?

sac. st., montana or montana st. maybe the dakota schools? any others?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:15 am 
Senior
Senior

OK... now that decision time is coming for the WAC, I'll give my prediction.

WAC takes Idaho and thats all.

Of course that will never happen now. I've looked over all my predictions I could find and I'm 0 for ?. Kinda like my NCAA bb bracket last year. ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Given a preference for North Texas, a squeamish feeling about Idaho, and your track record, I just wanted to say that I appreciate your choice, Gumby. ;)

Of course, there's a reason I don't bet on sports... but I've become slightly decent at guessing business decisions. U of Oregon education, baby! ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:21 pm 
My prediction, and certainly only a prediction, is that the WAC will take North Texas (if they agree) plus Idaho (if the resistance is overcome). North Texas may not agree unless LA-L is also invited. If North Texas, La-L, and Idaho are added, that gives the WAC 11 teams, one short of a championship game contingent. The WAC may not want that, and they may not want round-robin either. It all depends on who agrees. It does not seem the "western" schools are eager for more schools from the southeast area. That's understandable, but their options are not very strategic or extensive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 97  Next