NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am 
Senior
Senior

Not sure what USU offers for the MWC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 am 
Junior
Junior

dbackjon wrote:

Presence in the state of Utah since the MWC lost both Utah and BYU. Outside of that Utah State doesn't offer much for the MWC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Presence in the state of Utah since the MWC lost both Utah and BYU. Outside of that Utah State doesn't offer much for the MWC.

and a top 25 basketball program, plus their football has been steadily improving they just renovated Romney Stadium and are looking at expanding it to 40,000 (from 25K). And outside of possibly adding UTEP/SJSU for a 12th the MWC could be looking at getting BYU to rejoin the conference as a non-football member to offset Hawaii, and Utah St could make the MWC more enticing than the WCC...longshot for sure but still a viable option.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 am 
Senior
Senior

dbackjon wrote:

So I should expect an invite for NAU any day now, since Arizona is more populous than Utah, and the MWC needs a presence there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

and a top 25 basketball program, plus their football has been steadily improving they just renovated Romney Stadium and are looking at expanding it to 40,000 (from 25K). And outside of possibly adding UTEP/SJSU for a 12th the MWC could be looking at getting BYU to rejoin the conference as a non-football member to offset Hawaii, and Utah St could make the MWC more enticing than the WCC...longshot for sure but still a viable option.

When you only win one, then two games in a season, I guess you could call back to back four win seasons a steady improvement.

Basketball is the only thing Utah State has going for it, but basketball doesn't drive re-alignments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

When you only win one, then two games in a season, I guess you could call back to back four win seasons a steady improvement.

Basketball is the only thing Utah State has going for it, but basketball doesn't drive re-alignments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

dbackjon wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Hey, they were pretty damn close to beating OU last year in Norman. But I agree their main appeal is the SLC market.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I'm all for Utah St. in the MWC. Always have been since BYU and Utah left. Just makes sense as the state had been the unofficial TV base for the conference. Not ALL of those people were watching solely for BYU or Utah but because it was on. There is a base in Utah that will be turned on to Utah St. simply for that reason. Might not be huge, but some.

I thought Utah St. was a better fit than Hawaii was and should have gotten that invite. But they didn't.

So now, we wait to see IF Utah St. really does make the move and if the MWC really invites them.

Because if they do, you've got 10 for basketball and 11 for football. Ouch.

It would seem that a 12th football school wouldn't be a stretch. If SJSU were in the mix again, that would be public since it would be like Xmas for SJSU admins.

Do they stay at 11? Could, but again, ouch.

So maybe UTEP is approached again. Who knows at this point. MWC situation is a strange one with the on again off again talks with schools.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Other stories:
http://bobcatreport.com/news/?p=791
http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/07/27 ... tain-west/
WAC says not true
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/ ... te-to-mwc/
http://twitter.com/#!/WACSports
per twitter

@WACSports All reports regarding a Mountain West Conference invite to Utah State are without substance.
4 minutes ago via web

@WACSports
WAC Commissioner Karl Benson will address the false USU reports issue (if necessary) Thursday at the WAC Football Media Preview in Las Vegas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
I'm all for Utah St. in the MWC. Always have been since BYU and Utah left. Just makes sense as the state had been the unofficial TV base for the conference. Not ALL of those people were watching solely for BYU or Utah but because it was on. There is a base in Utah that will be turned on to Utah St. simply for that reason. Might not be huge, but some.

I thought Utah St. was a better fit than Hawaii was and should have gotten that invite. But they didn't.

So now, we wait to see IF Utah St. really does make the move and if the MWC really invites them.

It would seem that a 12th football school wouldn't be a stretch. If SJSU were in the mix again, that would be public since it would be like Xmas for SJSU admins.

So maybe UTEP is approached again. Who knows at this point. MWC situation is a strange one with the on again off again talks with schools.

Hell no they're not. I don't care about market if you add garbage to my conf. How's Boise's market, who cares, they're good and get on tv, while helping out the conf. rating. At least Hawaii has a good team that's been to the BCS and has a unique time slot to themselves for TV. SJSU has a big market too that no one cares about, just like USU. Hey UNT is in a big market, let's get back into Texas by taking a team that no one gives 2 sh*ts about in the state.

You didn't read everything, they said we'd get a Texas school for 12. It's on the MWC board.

Quinn the A-10 should add Chicago St., its a big market that they could use.

Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise(previously posted in another thread)with comments from MWC Commish who says that his league is not currently interested in expansion but is watching the Big 12 at this time.Link at http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/0 ... nsion_talk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

Look someone from USU hacked Quinn's account! Hell no they're not. I don't care about market if you add garbage to my conf. How's Boise's market, who cares, they're good and get on tv, while helping out the conf. rating. At least Hawaii has a good team that's been to the BCS and has a unique time slot to themselves for TV. SJSU has a big market too that no one cares about, just like USU. Hey UNT is in a big market, let's get back into Texas by taking a team that no one gives 2 sh*ts about in the state.

You didn't read everything, they said we'd get a Texas school for 12. It's on the MWC board.

You lost me. You quoted me "
I thought Utah St. was a better fit than Hawaii was and should have gotten that invite. But they didn't." and then went on a rant about markets...which I didn't even mention there. So you're saying that the Honolulu market is better for the Mountain West than Utah/Salt Lake City, which is in the middle of the MWC footprint? You're saying that adding Hawaii was better using your "market" argument than making SOME attempt to replace the loss of what WAS the STRONGEST Mountain West market?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

Look someone from USU hacked Quinn's account! Hell no they're not. I don't care about market if you add garbage to my conf. How's Boise's market, who cares, they're good and get on tv, while helping out the conf. rating. At least Hawaii has a good team that's been to the BCS and has a unique time slot to themselves for TV. SJSU has a big market too that no one cares about, just like USU. Hey UNT is in a big market, let's get back into Texas by taking a team that no one gives 2 sh*ts about in the state.

I thought Utah St. was a better fit than Hawaii was and should have gotten that invite. But they didn't." and then went on a rant about markets...which I didn't even mention there. So you're saying that the Honolulu market is better for the Mountain West than Utah/Salt Lake City, which is in the middle of the MWC footprint? You're saying that adding Hawaii was better using your "market" argument than making SOME attempt to replace the loss of what WAS the STRONGEST Mountain West market?

Is 100% of a medium-size state (Honolulu is #72 market, 433K Viewers, plus rest of state) better than 10% of #32 (933K Viewers)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

All I said is market isn't everything especially when you don't own it like USU and SJSU don't. Boise and Hawaii are smaller but at least bring it. More importantly bring it on the field. You are talking about TVs so that doesn't mean market to you? If you're not talking market you have less of a argument. Market doesn't = end all be all. See Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno being added not SJSU and USU. Freaked posted the quote showing this is all bs, but here you are running with some made up nonsense by 2 guys that don't know squat about the MWC. But I guess you know more than the 9 presidents and commish that voted Hawaii in and not USU.

Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Quinn wrote:

You are out of touch w/ reality if you think USU is better for the MWC than Hawaii. All I said is market isn't everything especially when you don't own it like USU and SJSU don't. Boise and Hawaii are smaller but at least bring it. More importantly bring it on the field. You are talking about TVs so that doesn't mean market to you? If you're not talking market you have less of a argument. Market doesn't = end all be all. See Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno being added not SJSU and USU. Freaked posted the quote showing this is all bs, but here you are running with some made up nonsense by 2 guys that don't know squat about the MWC. But I guess you know more than the 9 presidents and commish that voted Hawaii in and not USU.

Easy there, Sally. Someone must be having a tough day.

You seem to have completely forgotten that Utah St. was one of the FIRST schools the Mountain West reached out to. Utah St. assumed all was well with the WAC which still had Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno St. When Utah St. passed, the aggressive move by the MWC was to invite Nevada and Fresno St...leaving Utah St. with egg on it's face, thinking they had done the "right" thing. If the POTENTIAL for the Utah market was not something that the MWC presidents thought important, then Utah St. would not have been the FIRST school that they approached upon the BYU announcement (which was we know, the MWC moves were very much in self-defense to prevent a power shift to the WAC).

We then saw just a few months ago AGAIN the Mountain West look at Utah St. AS WELL as San Jose St. Yes, SJSU, the same school everyone mocks. Cooler heads prevailed and no invites were given to either school. But AGAIN, we know that the MWC did indeed consider them that second time. This time around, it appears to all be a BS rumor. The other (2) times, it was a reality.

So again, I'm not sure why you feel it's such a stretch to consider Utah St. in the MWC when the MWC itself ONCE invited Utah St. and a SECOND time came dangerously close to inviting them and the baggage that would be SJSU. We're all entitled to our opinions, and my opinions are inline with these same 9 presidents that you put so high on a pedestal (which is strange in itself as the MWC has shown exactly how not to handle conference membership matters in comparison to the other non-WAC FBS conferences...I mean come-on, they lost BYU for non-football sports when they could have kept them, thinking they had more power than BYU...fail).

And again, you're the only one bringing up market. I think you have me confused with someone else because it should be fairly known on these forums that there is no bigger proponent to the concept of "market penetration" than I...especially since that same stupid phrase, "market penetration" wasn't even used for NCAA realignment discussion until I beat it down everyone's throat here to explain what it is and how it is the ONLY importance in regards to "market".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 97  Next