NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:33 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 380
Location: Austin, Texas
More great and exciting news from the WAC....

UTRGV has chosen an ICON for their school(what ever that means?).......PRESENTING...the Vaqueros! :o :|

They will wear Blue, Green and Orange.

https://www.utsystem.edu/news/2014/11/0 ... university" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing says 'unity' like a vaquero.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:46 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
mozilla wrote:
More great and exciting news from the WAC....

UTRGV has chosen an ICON for their school(what ever that means?).......PRESENTING...the Vaqueros! :o :|

They will wear Blue, Green and Orange.

https://www.utsystem.edu/news/2014/11/0 ... university" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing says 'unity' like a vaquero.


And all of this starts for the upcoming season (a.k.a. 2015-16 school year). R.I.P.. UTPA & UTB in academics & athletics. Best wishes to the uprising UTRGV Vaqueros.

Aside from that, still haven't heard about or found any realignment/expansion news whatsoever.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:03 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 380
Location: Austin, Texas
Alright, another new year...and here we are again with the WAC doing what?

GCU should be a bit closer to becoming a full D1 member...
UTPA is about to change their name....
UMKC rumored to be looking back towards Summit...


So, this is the biggest news in the WAC? :?

I know Metro State just built a huge sports complex to house a number of outdoor sports. Will that give them the edge to feel ready for WAC play? If Metro decides to join...will any other RMAC schools accompany them to anchor down the Denver/Central Colorado market?
What about west coast schools....any on the rise that could pair up with Bakersfield?

IDK, just seems odd that nothing has happened for the WAC in the last two years...now starting the third year.
Any thoughts on the WAC situation looking forward? Will they just sit at 8 till something happens?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:31 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 727
Location: Louisville, KY
Other than Metro State, which is already larger than many Division I schools, there is only one other RMAC school that makes sense for Division I, and that is UC-Colorado Springs.

The problem is that if anyone departs before Grand Canyon's transition is complete, the WAC trips the probationary period again. It takes four years to move to Division I, but the probationary period for the conference would be two years. The WAC may be waiting on C-USA to replace UAB before it can make a move. If C-USA taps any Sun Belt school, and the Sun Belt invites NMSU, the WAC has no choice but to invite an existing Division I member - NJIT might not be an option by the end of the academic year given the Highlanders' moves to join America East.

If NMSU leaves, I'd expect UMKC to go back to the Summit, UTPA heads to the Southland, and Bakersfield is rescued by the Big West.

If the WAC survives, or if nothing happens above them to trigger realignment, I'd expect Metro State to join in 2017. Four more years down the road I'd expect Western Washington or a CCAA school to join.

WAC 2021:

Seattle/Western Washington
Bakersfield/Grand Canyon
Metro State/Utah Valley
NMSU/UTPA
Chicago State/UMKC

If that holds up to 2025 I'd expect to see another Texas school added, which would push Utah Valley into the Pacific Division. Another California school gets added to take the WAC to 12.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:53 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 am
Posts: 18
Location: Cincinnati, OH
I continue hoping to see the WAC have some vision and think outside the box...with the two Alaska schools (Anchorage and Fairbanks).

They'd obviously be the only conference in the entire state. It would be an interesting move that might at least draw SOME attention back to the conference. With keeping them both together, they can clearly be travel partners. The WAC isn't really that much worse for them, in regards to travel, than where they are now. Plus, for the current schools in the WAC, promising recruits multiple trips to Alaska is sort of an interesting recruiting tools, just as some schools use Hawaii for that purpose.

I'd personally love to see this happen.

_________________
Longtime Cincinnati fan, but also now an NKU grad. Enjoy rooting for both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:33 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 380
Location: Austin, Texas
wbyeager wrote:
Other than Metro State, which is already larger than many Division I schools, there is only one other RMAC school that makes sense for Division I, and that is UC-Colorado Springs.

The problem is that if anyone departs before Grand Canyon's transition is complete, the WAC trips the probationary period again. It takes four years to move to Division I, but the probationary period for the conference would be two years. The WAC may be waiting on C-USA to replace UAB before it can make a move. If C-USA taps any Sun Belt school, and the Sun Belt invites NMSU, the WAC has no choice but to invite an existing Division I member - NJIT might not be an option by the end of the academic year given the Highlanders' moves to join America East.

If NMSU leaves, I'd expect UMKC to go back to the Summit, UTPA heads to the Southland, and Bakersfield is rescued by the Big West.

If the WAC survives, or if nothing happens above them to trigger realignment, I'd expect Metro State to join in 2017. Four more years down the road I'd expect Western Washington or a CCAA school to join.

WAC 2021:

Seattle/Western Washington
Bakersfield/Grand Canyon
Metro State/Utah Valley
NMSU/UTPA
Chicago State/UMKC

If that holds up to 2025 I'd expect to see another Texas school added, which would push Utah Valley into the Pacific Division. Another California school gets added to take the WAC to 12.


I am not certain the Southland would add another non-fb school, since they have an even number(2) currently. If UTPA started fb in a few years...I would imagine that it would still behoove them to stay in the WAC/Indy rather than trod through the FCS levels waiting for a call up(ie: Charlotte landing in CUSA then bringing fb up quickly). But, that scenario contains a lot of "IF's" and quite a few years to get up to speed.

Also, hard to say if the Big West and Summit would welcome any other WAC schools. It could happen, but seems doubtful since it hasn't happened already.

How about Regis U. as a partner to Metro State and/or UCCS? Regis is similar in size/money to Seattle...and is located in a major metro area. With two or three schools in one area...travel could be easily reduced by a large degree for the whole conference.
There is also the 'whipping post' effect. So, all current WAC members could chalk up a few extra wins each season while the newbies begin to establish themselves. As long as they kept their OOC games respectable...their RPI wouldn't dip too much. If they get these(or any) schools in now...they could be fully up to speed by 2019. And that seems to be better than sitting on the edge of extinction for an extended period of time.

You mention schools from Texas. What schools did you have in mind?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 829
Location: Columbus, OH
I'm not sure where WAC expansion schools are going to come from. Some of those DII schools mentioned currently have it great in term of travel. Someone would have to be really hellbent on being a Division I school. With no geographic center, the WAC is in a really tight spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 1764
Agree - travel is arduous.

And to reiterate, just about every team in the WAC would prefer to be in some other conference.
God only knows what UMKC was thinking when they downgraded to the WAC, and forced themselves into WAY more travel.
As soon as the President or AD changes at UMKC, the new guy will wonder, why are we in the WAC ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:21 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Speaking of being on a tight spot, if the WAC staff members/crew don't act quickly to find some possible expansion member schools (like either Metro St. or such) and get to the peak number of at least 10 or 12 without losing some of their D-I regulars (i.e.: NMSU, UMKC, Chicago St.,), then the league might still have a chance to survive for a few years. But if they don't, and due to its unstable footprint, well it's obvious that the WAC is destined to implode because some of those member schools would prefer to be in more fitting regional conferences. For instance, UMKC & Chicago St. would rather compete with Horizon/Summit schools; the same goes for CSU-Bakersfield, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley & Seattle with Big Sky/Big West/WCC schools; or New Mexico St. with Sun Belt/C-USA schools; or UTRVG (formerly UTPA) with Sun Belt/Southland schools. In other words, if there's no core center, that means there's no footprint nor stability, whether market-wise or travel-wise or money-wise or geography-wise.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:59 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 829
Location: Columbus, OH
The WAC is in need of a core. One thought would be to try to attract schools from other conferences that are marginalized in their existing conferences and struggle in basketball. UMKC did this. What if they were to reach out to Texas A&M-CC, New Orleans, UT-Arlington, and UALR? They are all in football leagues but aren't basketball powerhouses by any stretch of the imagination. Promote the idea of divisional play--those 4 and UTRGV form a nice little geographic cluster. Put UMKC and Chicago St in with them in an Eastern Division. This could give the WAC a future.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:39 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
fighting muskie wrote:
The WAC is in need of a core. One thought would be to try to attract schools from other conferences that are marginalized in their existing conferences and struggle in basketball. UMKC did this. What if they were to reach out to Texas A&M-CC, New Orleans, UT-Arlington, and UALR? They are all in football leagues but aren't basketball powerhouses by any stretch of the imagination. Promote the idea of divisional play--those 4 and UTRGV form a nice little geographic cluster. Put UMKC and Chicago St in with them in an Eastern Division. This could give the WAC a future.


That would not be a bad idea. If those kinds of schools join the WAC, it would consist of the following division-play format:

WAC East: UMKC, Chicago St., New Orleans, Texas A&M-C.C., UT-Arlington, UALR
WAC West: Seattle, Cal St.-Bakersfield, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, New Mexico St., UTRGV

Plus, it would let the conference keep the automatic bid on certain sports with 6 or 8 as the minimum number of schools. Also, it would give some time until there are any possible D-II schools within that footprint that would step up to join the D-I ranks.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:40 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 380
Location: Austin, Texas
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
The WAC is in need of a core. One thought would be to try to attract schools from other conferences that are marginalized in their existing conferences and struggle in basketball. UMKC did this. What if they were to reach out to Texas A&M-CC, New Orleans, UT-Arlington, and UALR? They are all in football leagues but aren't basketball powerhouses by any stretch of the imagination. Promote the idea of divisional play--those 4 and UTRGV form a nice little geographic cluster. Put UMKC and Chicago St in with them in an Eastern Division. This could give the WAC a future.


That would not be a bad idea. If those kinds of schools join the WAC, it would consist of the following division-play format:

WAC East: UMKC, Chicago St., New Orleans, Texas A&M-C.C., UT-Arlington, UALR
WAC West: Seattle, Cal St.-Bakersfield, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, New Mexico St., UTRGV

Plus, it would let the conference keep the automatic bid on certain sports with 6 or 8 as the minimum number of schools. Also, it would give some time until there are any possible D-II schools within that footprint that would step up to join the D-I ranks.


This all sounds great....but, there is a huge fundamental problem with it.
How will they convince schools to give up LOW travel and Low money.....for High travel and Low money? It won't happen, unless, all these schools band together and fight for some really nice A10 type tv money. Which seems really unlikely.

In reality....the only option for the WAC is to lock down your group and bring in some new blood, asap. The WAC might have to fight through a few years of having non D1 schools in the group...but, that will quickly pass. It would be much better to have some cushion in the ranks...than to sit next to the executioner year after year.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group