NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 11:37 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:18 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Barnstormer wrote:
Just found this board. I wish I could add some new speculation on WAC expansion, but it's been extremely quiet, no new rumors or anything. The only Division 1 school that was rumored to be talking to the WAC was SIUe from the OVC. I'm not sure why they would even consider it. Seems like a bit of a step down.

Welcome aboard.

That's a strange one. I have to imagine SIUE would want to be on the same line as SIU in the MVC, but that will never happen; all while the line hoping to get into the Horizon is lengthy and unlikely. Maybe the WAC is the faster way into the Summit?

Thanks.

The only thing I could figure is that SIUE was thinking they could separate from all the divisional schools i.e. Eastern Ill., S.E. Missouri, U.T. Martin etc., a little by playing games in Seattle, Chicago, Phoenix, and Las Cruces rather than in a regional league like the OVC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 am 
Senior
Senior

Barnstormer wrote:
Just found this board. I wish I could add some new speculation on WAC expansion, but it's been extremely quiet, no new rumors or anything. The only Division 1 school that was rumored to be talking to the WAC was SIUe from the OVC. I'm not sure why they would even consider it. Seems like a bit of a step down.

I just don't see any western division 2 team being ready to move up, and the division 1 teams that could jump are not interested. I wouldn't want to be the WAC commissioner. It has to be a tough job trying to grab another member or two, and it will get far worse if NMSU finds an exit route.

Welcome to the board.

Maybe, SIU Ed. feels the road to the NCAA tourney is easier fighting through the WAC rather than the OVC?
They would also get to pair up with Chi St....if that is an incentive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Perhaps the story behind the story is that the OVC is highly interested in UAB and they are willing to cut SIUe loose to free up a spot.

Honestly, aside from the imminent threat of being ousted by your current conference there is a very little reason for a Division I school to look toward the WAC for membership. The only exception would be finding an easier route to the tournament. Perhaps if the WAC was talking to multiple schools as a package deal in order to make 2 6-team divisions and cut travel costs then it would make sense. Right now this is where they are at:

West: Seattle, CSU-Bakersfield, Utah Valley, Grand Canyon, NMSU, (needs 1 more)
East: Chicago St, UMKC, UTRGV, (needs 3 more)

If they could get a few of: New Orleans, A&M Corpus Christi, UALR, UT-A, Oral Roberts, SIUe, (any other non-football school near Texas or the Great Plains) then they could attain this model and perhaps establish some stability because, as it stands now, pretty much everyone would rather be in another league.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

If the WAC's group to choose from includes: SIUE, and Metro State....then they will only need two to divide into divisions. UC Colorado State and someone else could help round out the conference??

West: Seattle, Bakersfield, Utah Valley, Grand Canyon, UC Colorado Springs, ?
East: Chicago State, UMKC, SIUE, UTRGV, NMSU, Metro State

Having a hub in central Colorado would be a great feather in the cap of the WAC. And, the hook is...that both division get to use Denver as a locale.
Denver is an easy travel destination for all the schools in the conference...and has full amenities for the WAC to utilize. Plus, no other major conference has a central hub in Denver.

I don't know much about UCCS, but, Metro State has been building facilities and improving their athletic programs over the last few years. Having won the DII bb title last year and finishing at the top of their conference two years in a row.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The WAC might be thinking it can become the Western-or at least a Midwestern-Metro. The WAC and Omaha were supposedly flirting at one point, so perhaps getting something like this might work:

NMSU/UTRGV (El Paso/South Texas)
Chicago State/SIUE (Chicago/St. Louis)
UMKC/Omaha (Kansas City/Omaha)

The WAC could tighten that up further if it could grab Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. NMSU and Grand Canyon aren't really any different from a geographic perspective than NMSU and UTRGV.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
The WAC might be thinking it can become the Western-or at least a Midwestern-Metro. The WAC and Omaha were supposedly flirting at one point, so perhaps getting something like this might work:

The WAC could tighten that up further if it could grab Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. NMSU and Grand Canyon aren't really any different from a geographic perspective than NMSU and UTRGV.

How is the WAC going to pry aTm CC away from such a short travel schedule in the Southland? I just don't see a way for it to happen. The travel in the SLC is very short. What does the WAC have to offer to offset all the extra travel that aTm CC will face by moving into the WAC?

Essentially, aTm CC would give up 12 close opponent for 1 close opponent. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

How is the WAC going to pry aTm CC away from such a short travel schedule in the Southland? I just don't see a way for it to happen. The travel in the SLC is very short. What does the WAC have to offer to offset all the extra travel that aTm CC will face by moving into the WAC?

Essentially, aTm CC would give up 12 close opponent for 1 close opponent. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

I through Corpus Christi on the list as well as other non-fb schools in fb conferences on the list with the assumption that their might be internal pressures for them to play football or find a new home. If Corpus Christi were to be booted from the Southland they would make a great travel partner and rival for UTRGV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

If the SLC boots aTm CC....then I will agree. It would be nice to pair them with UTRGV and/or UTA.

Problem is...the SLC has added non-fb schools recently with ORU. UNO, if I remember correctly, was planning on fb, but later changed their mind. So, there is evidence that the SLC is patient with bb schools.

Still, I expect the SLC to add another fb school in the next few years. Or, they will wait for someone to move up...to even out the fb numbers. I would imagine they are waiting for ACU and UIW to mature into the conference before evaluating the situation.
I think the SLC likes having plenty of members, rather than in the past when they were down to a low number of schools.

The current situation seems pretty stable for the SLC, aTm CC and UNO.

I have to wonder why UT Dallas isn't jockeying for a spot in one of these conference situations?? They are still sitting at a DIII level with over 10k students, if memory serves me. UTD would fit well with UTA and UALR, or UTRGV and aTm CC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:
If the SLC boots aTm CC....then I will agree. It would be nice to pair them with UTRGV and/or UTA.

Problem is...the SLC has added non-fb schools recently with ORU. UNO, if I remember correctly, was planning on fb, but later changed their mind. So, there is evidence that the SLC is patient with bb schools.

Still, I expect the SLC to add another fb school in the next few years. Or, they will wait for someone to move up...to even out the fb numbers. I would imagine they are waiting for ACU and UIW to mature into the conference before evaluating the situation.
I think the SLC likes having plenty of members, rather than in the past when they were down to a low number of schools.

The current situation seems pretty stable for the SLC, aTm CC and UNO.

I have to wonder why UT Dallas isn't jockeying for a spot in one of these conference situations?? They are still sitting at a DIII level with over 10k students, if memory serves me. UTD would fit well with UTA and UALR, or UTRGV and aTm CC.

That's true about Oral Roberts but Oral Roberts is also a school who has a solid basketball program. A&M CC was let in in the mid-2000s because they were contemplating football and New Orleans was let in on the premise that they were going to start a team but neither one has stepped up and fielded a team as of yet. The admission of ICU, ACU, & HBU have given the Southland the football depth it needs to be a viable conference. To me, at 13 members, the basketball schools are just dead weight at this point and should be let go. It's interesting that you mention UT Dallas--I had forgotten about them. They would be another solid potential member in my hypothetical Texas-centric non-football conference provided UT Arlington was willing to let them share their turf but since they are both on the UT system I'd imagine they'd play nicely with eachother.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The Southland has always been football centric. And with a couple of Lone Star Conference teams making noises about moving up, the SLC might decide to get rid of the BB only teams. Otherwise I don't really see Texas A&M Corpus Christi jumping to the WAC.

The only way the WAC gets UALR and UTA is if the Sun Belt kicks them out. New Mexico State has a football lifeline to the Sun Belt and would never allow the WAC commish to poach teams from there (if they were interested).

I'm thinking Metro State, or a school like UM St. Louis, and possibly one Div 1 surprise jump from another conference are the WAC's only hope unless UC San Diego does decide to make the jump. And they would likely choose the Big West anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:55 am 
Senior
Senior

The current WAC plus non-football members of other conferences, but losing New Mexico St to Sun Belt.

WAC
Seattle
California St - Bakersfield
Utah Valley
Texas - Rio Grande Valley
Chicago St
Missouri - Kansas City
Grand Canyon
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
New Orleans
Texas - Arlington
Arkansas - Little Rock
Southern Illinois - Edwardsville

No need for Division II call ups, but I highly doubt all of these schools would entertain the thought of the WAC if they didn't have to. It wouldn't be an entirely terrible conference. They could host sports like men's soccer and baseball and whatever else to get other schools to join as affiliates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What I would have liked seeing from the WAC was for the commissioner to go out and be very aggressive in the Midwest. The Division 2 schools in the west don't seem to be ready to move up, and I'm just not seeing any Texas based schools moving either. i would have liked to see Commissioner Hurd go after 3 or 4 teams from the Midwest like SIUE, Neb. Omaha, and Northern Kentucky U.

It might not have been the perfect solution but if at least two schools jumped it would have given the WAC two manageable Midwest road trips a year. UMKC/SIUE, NKU/CSU, or UMKC/Neb. Omaha. By themselves these schools are not jumping to the WAC, but together they might have given the idea more thought. However that ship has probably sailed, since with the interest from the Horizon, NKU has to realize they have bigger fish to fry. I doubt Neb. Omaha is going to bail on the Summit either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:51 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Barnstormer wrote:
What I would have liked seeing from the WAC was for the commissioner to go out and be very aggressive in the Midwest. The Division 2 schools in the west don't seem to be ready to move up, and I'm just not seeing any Texas based schools moving either. i would have liked to see Commissioner Hurd go after 3 or 4 teams from the Midwest like SIUE, Neb. Omaha, and Northern Kentucky U.

It might not have been the perfect solution but if at least two schools jumped it would have given the WAC two manageable Midwest road trips a year. UMKC/SIUE, NKU/CSU, or UMKC/Neb. Omaha. By themselves these schools are not jumping to the WAC, but together they might have given the idea more thought. However that ship has probably sailed, since with the interest from the Horizon, NKU has to realize they have bigger fish to fry. I doubt Neb. Omaha is going to bail on the Summit either.

The problem with trying to recruit schools in the Midwest is that there are better conferences with much more convenient traveling the region. Even if you tried to play the "we want to recruit enough schools for a Midwestern division to help you with travel" angle it's going to require multiple schools to jump and no on is going to want to be the first unless there are assurances others will follow. Even if that were to happen UTRGV is probably placed in that division which means an annual trip in every sport to the southernmost reaches of Texas as well as multiple trips out west to face. I don't know that they are going to entice another UMKC to join their motley crew of misfits.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces with comments from NMSU AD regarding his school's conference membership situation at http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sp ... -following

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1514 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101