NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:11 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
The rationale for TCU to the MWC is as follows:

for MWC, it is a market outside their footprint (Dallas-Ft. Worth) and opens the state up to recruiting. MWC puts out a quality product, but no one is watching. What do they have, San Diego? That's it. Granted, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas are growing metropolises, but still nothing like DFW.

I agree that this their rationale. Too bad its based on a faulty view of that TV market. When it comes to TV, TCU is way behind Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma in viewership. I would argue that it is also behind Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, given the number of alumni in town, but that may be up for debate.

How much viewership are they really going to get from the #4 to #6 most popular team in the metro area?

It sure isn't the rationale I would use in selecting an MWC school. It would seem to me that the Mountain West could make a bigger dent recruiting in California where there is only one BCS conference, than they could in Texas, which is fair game for the Big 12 and SEC. I am not sold on TCU as a perrenial power, nor am I sold on them delivering the Dallas-Ft. Worth market to the degree they would expect.

I would think that Fresno State, year in and year out, is hands down the #1 program in California outside of the Pac-10. They have a 41,000 seat stadium and if they don't sell out, they come awful close. To me that would open up a lot more opportunities to the Mountain West TV and otherwise. They fit geographically with San Diego State and UNLV.

Boise State is a program I'm also sold on. Hawaii is expensive and Nevada hasn't achieved to the extent Fresno and Boise have to my knowledge. As someone mentioned, Boise might deliver the Humanitarian Bowl.

If you want a Texas school, I'd think UTEP would be a better geographical fit, but I really think the MWC would be best served by going West.

Evidently the Mountain West members are gridlocked on who to add or else we'd have a decision by now.

Last edited by californiacajun on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:18 pm 
Junior
Junior

But your other points are valid, particularly about Hawaii. That arrangement is an open book -- wherever UH winds up, there goes the bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:58 pm 
Fresno State hosted the California (Raisin) Bowl, matching the champions of the MAC and the PCAA/Big West 1981-1991. When Fresno State joined the WAC, the California (Raisin) Bowl was discontinued and the Las Vegas Bowl was created as its replacement. At the time, the WAC more or less had more legitimate bowl opportunities in the West (i.e. Copper, Freedom, Holiday), so at the time there was no real impetus for a continuance of a bowl hosted by Fresno State. It remains to be seen whether or not Fresno will host a bowl game again anytime in the near future...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:48 pm 
Junior
Junior

Boise State will deliver the Humanitarian Bowl. When the Big West dissolved and BSU went to the WAC, it didn't take long to setup an automatic tie-in with them. What I would like to see [assuming Boise State goes to the MWC, taking the Humanitarian Bowl with them, and of course Idaho gets into the WAC] is for the Humanitarian Bowl to have a MWC-WAC matchup. That worked well for the Fort Worth Bowl. I think it would work great for the Humanitarian bowl because Boise is really western. It must suck for an ACC team to basically fly across the country to freezing Idaho to play in a bowl game. I think that the MWC and WAC teams are used to the weather and would love to go bowling there. It would open up more opportunities to see good mid-major matchups and would probably increase the attendance because it won't be a difficult sell to western schools, but Boise in January is a VERY difficult sell to ACC teams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:15 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What's up with Denver? They kind of seem out of place to be in the Sun Belt and with NMSU and USU going to the WAC and with the SBC looking more at football, their days are numbered.
How about a conference where they will really fit in - like the West Coast Conferfence. Granted they're a little ways from the Pacific Ocean, but since they are a Catholic university, they would fit right in as 7 of the 8 schools are Catholic. Similar academics and similar athletics. Who do they have more in common with - Gonzaga and Santa Clara or Troy State and South Alabama?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:58 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
What's up with Denver? They kind of seem out of place to be in the Sun Belt and with NMSU and USU going to the WAC and with the SBC looking more at football, their days are numbered.
How about a conference where they will really fit in - like the West Coast Conferfence. Granted they're a little ways from the Pacific Ocean, but since they are a Catholic university, they would fit right in as 7 of the 8 schools are Catholic. Similar academics and similar athletics. Who do they have more in common with - Gonzaga and Santa Clara or Troy State and South Alabama?

Efforts are being made by Denver to find another conference. They don't play football or baseball, so I guess that complicates matters. Their fans don't seem to support anything except hockey, and none of the Sun Belt message boards were able to find a DU fan, much less engage him/her in conversation. An auditor at my office was a DU grad and said he'd participate but he didn't follow through. Someone found another DU grad on the Air Force message board and he said he wasn't interested in DU basketball. I exchanged e-mails with someone in their athletic department and he explained to me that basketball as a sport isn't all that popular there and he doesn't know how to get DU fans interested. I tried to get their music department to get me a recording of their fight song because I post them for all of the SBC schools, he said he would but didn't follow through.

There are exceptions, but I generally find that there is less enthusiasm for sports if a school doesn't sponsor football. DU does not make any exceptions regarding academics for their atheletes. But they seem to have a wealthy support base.

I'm sure Idaho is going to be out of the Sun Belt in a short time as well. The only conferences that are going to last are the ones that confine themselves to one region.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:04 am 
It is too bad that DU does not have interest in playing ball (Basket of Football). I have 7 friends that went to DU including my mother, and all feel that DU should get out of sports in general. In Denver they would watch pro ball or go to CU, CSU or Airforce for college sports. Best Wishes for the school in their sport future. This is an example of having too many sport choices in a town.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

midcontinent conference for u denver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:50 am 
Junior
Junior

Idaho needs to go to the WAC. Both because the school needs it and SunBelt needs it. SunBelt has committed to being a southern conference. Their latest expansion is in Florida. Not anything near Idaho. LaTech also needs to go to CUSA. If Idaho is in the WAC, LaTech is in CUSA and the SunBelt remains as is, then conferences will survive longer. Regionality needs to be important. That's why the three southern schools from the WAC (SMU, Rice and Tulsa) accepted invites to CUSA very quickly. I doubt they even thought more than 2 minutes on the matter. "First item: CUSA? Anyone opposed? No, ok, NEXT". ;)

I think that LaTech wouldn't think very long about an invite from CUSA as well. Idaho basically has said its answer. HELL YES! ;P

I really hope this happens because it would be good for CUSA, WAC and SunBelt conferences. It would be great for LaTech and Idaho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:33 pm 
Agree with your point on regionality, Vandal. Idaho needs to be in the WAC. Though their current stadium/dome is comparatively small, the WAC just seems most suited. If not going back with the Big Sky, Montana, etc. may be the only other realistic option.

The Sun Belt was workable for some scheduling, but does traveling from Idaho down to Florida Atlantic for a women's track meet or men's tennis sound feasible?

The Sun Belt is going to consist of "southern" holdovers and upstarts that need a home, i. e. Troy State. They will not be appealing enough for C-USA, but insist on staying in D 1-A.

They could make their numbers quota after losing Idaho and possibly North Texas, with going northeast and begging Temple, Navy and Army. But, doubtful these three would embrace the SunBelt. The Sun Belt will find new additions with those southern schools moving up from D-AA. There seems to be a couple emerging every few years.

If La Tech does not get a C-USA invite, they may just hold with the WAC rather than go to the Sun Belt with La-L and La-M. More likely and as previously mentioned, another Sun Belt team, such as Arkansas State, may be targeted by the WAC as a La Tech partner. This may be even more confusing for Idaho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:31 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Agree with your point on regionality, Vandal. Idaho needs to be in the WAC. Though their current stadium/dome is comparatively small, the WAC just seems most suited. If not going back with the Big Sky, Montana, etc. may be the only other realistic option.

The Sun Belt was workable for some scheduling, but does traveling from Idaho down to Florida Atlantic for a women's track meet or men's tennis sound feasible?

The Sun Belt is going to consist of "southern" holdovers and upstarts that need a home, i. e. Troy State. They will not be appealing enough for C-USA, but insist on staying in D 1-A.

They could make their numbers quota after losing Idaho and possibly North Texas, with going northeast and begging Temple, Navy and Army. But, doubtful these three would embrace the SunBelt. The Sun Belt will find new additions with those southern schools moving up from D-AA. There seems to be a couple emerging every few years.

If La Tech does not get a C-USA invite, they may just hold with the WAC rather than go to the Sun Belt with La-L and La-M. More likely and as previously mentioned, another Sun Belt team, such as Arkansas State, may be targeted by the WAC as a La Tech partner. This may be even more confusing for Idaho.

Agreed. I think that the SunBelt makes sense now with Utah State and New Mexico State, but they are leaving to the WAC. After 2005, the SunBelt makes no sense. Added to the fact that we are joining full time with all sports. I think that the travel budget suffered enough just with football having to go all over. Having all sports travel from Idaho to Florida and back is going to get very, very expensive. I would think that if certain events occur and we don't get into the WAC, we would seriously think about moving down to the Big Sky. It would hurt our 1-A focus, but I think the point is moot if we are in a bad regional conference and suffer because of it. At what point is the breaking point? Where do you start to say, "maybe 1-AA is better"? I hope that we get into the WAC and none of these decisions have to be made.

I think of all the conferences, the Sun Belt has been very workable and has a good structure. Maybe LaTech wouldn't mind too much being in there. I know they don't want anything to do with the other La-schools, but SunBelt is getting better as a 1-A conference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

I remember going to the Kibbie Dome and watching the Vandals play in the the Big Sky fondly in '79-'80. The whole feeling of 1-AA football from my experience is as good as 1-A from as students standpoint. A rivalry is a rivalry...it doesn't matter if the whole country is watching or not. As a student, beating Montana was much more important to me than however the Michigan vs. Ohio State game turned out. :D

The problem comes upon graduation. 1-AA is fine for regional universities whos alumni stay in the area after graduation. The coverage is good in the papers and even TV on a regional basis, so your passion for your team remains stoked. For national universities, which I consider Idaho to be as most of my friends there were from out of state, being 1-A is a a HUGE step. The national coverage, even if limited and on cable, keeps the alumni interested and the donations flowing.

Hopefully C-USA will make life simple for all concerned and pick La. Tech. That way, Idaho more than likely gets a WAC invite, La. Tech gets a lateral (or maybe even upward) move, and the Sun Belt gets to keep its marquee school in North Texas to help it stay viable. Otherwise Idaho as well as a number of Sun Belt schools may face the prospect of 1-AA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:59 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Hopefully C-USA will make life simple for all concerned and pick La. Tech.

I'm hoping that Louisiana Tech will join the Sun Belt. The SBC needs to pick up a program like that to make it. To tell you the truth, I wish CUSA would take a few football schools, like Louisiana.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:36 am 
'like Louisiana'

what school is that? You mean USL?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

USL or, as it's more commonly known, La-Laf.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next