NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
I am a FAU Alumni with a relative in the MAC Office. I am not too happy about what may be happening to the SBC. Word out of the MAC office is they are going to lose 2 to cusa and to replace them they are talking with wku and mtsu. These meetings are taking place on the presidents level. Hope the SBC can surive.

An idea just hit me: what if the two MAC schools looking to bolt were not Toledo and Miami (OH)? What if they were Ohio University (has made some noise about wanting to leave the MAC before) and Northern Illinois (may want to be more "big time" now than in the past)?
What are the chances that the Bobcats and the Huskies would bolt???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm 
Northern Illinois knows that it is not capable of taking that step up. Even last year's outstanding season didn't pack them in. The amount of interest in college football in the state is limited; this is not a Florida or Texas size pot we're talking about spliting. Neither Illinois nor Northwestern fill up their stadiums. NIU draws largely from the same Chgo fan base as the other two schools, and Chicago area fans are far more likely to drive the 160 miles to Champaign to see the Illini or stay in the area to see the Cats in Evanston, both Big Ten teams, then they are likely to make a trip to DeKalb.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:13 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

News coming out of Western Kentucky is that they turned down a CUSA offer and are headed to the MAc with plans to upgrade to I-A football in 2006.

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhilltopperhavenfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7868.topic

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:47 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
News coming out of Western Kentucky is that they turned down a CUSA offer and are headed to the MAc with plans to upgrade to I-A football in 2006.

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhilltopperhavenfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7868.topic

Yeah... CUSA wanted Western, but looks like they'll have to settle for UTEP... (*rolling eyes, cynical tone of voice, tongue fully in cheek*)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:50 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/board_of_directors/2004/April/07_membership_standards.ppt

Here's what the NCAA board of directors were looking at today (4/29/04) during the discussion about attendance requirements... a discussion that has everything to do with the future of MAC (and for that matter, Sun Belt) football.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I think to be fair to all, they should just let everyone whom is in Div 1 to stay there. The economics of the sport will force the schools that cant afford it to drop down without having the Big Scools legislate them down. Schools like San Jose St and Tulane have already thought about dropping down because of money. What should be legislated is a much tougher standard of letting schools move up. The 15000 attendance rule is just too low. It should be at least 20 to 25000 people and a stadium of at at least 35 to 40000. College sports has become just like pro sports and they should adhere to something like how they grant expansion franchises. You would never see the NFL of MLB grant an expansion team to a city or town if they were only offering a small stadium and shoddy attendance. Good examples of Div1 expansion would be South Florida and Connecticut. Bad examples would be Idaho and Louisiana Monroe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:08 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What do you all think about Youngstown St. to the MAC they seem to fit with all the MAC schools but who would Number 14 be. WKU, MTSU, Temple or Someone else any thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

When the attendance requirements are enforced the MAC will lose a few schools making this question who should be the 8th or 9th MAC school instead of the 13th of 14th.

Temple would be the best choice because of market size and basketball as a replacement MAC school. Temple recently asked the MAC for a FB only membership but the MAC wants Temple to contribute 4 basketball games a year which Temple is not prepared to do at this time. If Temple joins the MAC as its 8th member its going to have to join as an all sports members to satisfy the 8 all-sport member requirement.

I don't think they will lose any the ncaa proposal is 3 strikes and you out. So most schools will make it except san jose st.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Then if thats the case the MAC doesn't need any additional teams being at 12 right now.

why not 14 was working good for them. add youngstown st and western kentucky and this will be an even better conference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Youngstown State is a LOT like Delaware, footballgod. If they aren't invited to a BCS conference, YSU has no intentions of leaving I-AA. YSU loves all of its I-AA national titles, and wants more. More power to them I say.
WKU, however, has been interested in the MAC, and I think Temple and the MAC are about to make a deal as well, possibly all-sports. Even with Cheney's objections!! Speaking of Cheney, Temple needs to convince him of the virtues of retirement, and begin their search for a new basketball coach ASAP. They can name the court after Cheney. I could care a less. However, Cheney needs to be headed to the retirement home fast!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:16 pm 
Junior
Junior

Hmmm... Makes you wonder what happens if 2 of the michigan schools get whacked by the attendance requirements.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next