NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Springfield discussing possible UMass FBS move at http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/sports/umass/no ... s-football

They have TCU as still in CUSA there. And it's not a misprint where they meant MWC, because they refer to CUSA having two spots if Nova passes and the Big East takes a CUSA school (AND CUSA's TCU).

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Wow that is really bad....

While we are on this thread do yall think UMass would be a full member in the MAC or just football only and stay in the A10 like Temple? If yes, then do yall think Temple will also join them as a full member?

New Divisions could be...
East: UMass, Temple, Buffalo, Akron, Kent St, Ohio and Miami of Ohio
West: Bowling Green, Toledo, E Mich, C Mich, W Mich, Ball St, Northern Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:32 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

UMass would not upgrade if it were full-membership. That's not speculation, that's fact. Too much revenue loss in the MAC for other sports, namely hoops.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't understand why, UMass or the MAC has to wait on Temple. If Temple leaves you can still add UMass as #13 for fb just like they have w/ Temple now and like they did with Marshall a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So perhaps Temple won't re-commit until April 12th, when we know what's up with Villnova and BE football.
My thinking (maybe I'm dead wrong) is that if Villanova says NO, UCF or Houston would be invited for BE#10 before Temple.
So if you agree, Temple is not getting into the BE at least until the BE goes to 12 FB teams.

HOWEVER, maybe Temple sees the possibility of a CUSA team accepting BE #10, and an all-sports CUSA invitation to replace UCF or Houston.
If that is attractive to Temple, then maybe that is the hold-up which is delaying them from re-commiting to the MAC.

I also am not sure why inviting UMass for FB only is dependent on Temple.
However, the delays make one think that this is the case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
So perhaps Temple won't re-commit until April 12th, when we know what's up with Villnova and BE football.
My thinking (maybe I'm dead wrong) is that if Villanova says NO, UCF or Houston would be invited for BE#10 before Temple.
So if you agree, Temple is not getting into the BE at least until the BE goes to 12 FB teams.

HOWEVER, maybe Temple sees the possibility of a CUSA team accepting BE #10, and an all-sports CUSA invitation to replace UCF or Houston.
If that is attractive to Temple, then maybe that is the hold-up which is delaying them from re-commiting to the MAC.

I'm thinking UMass's decision depends on Nova actually. The similarity to the timing of all the announcements seems like everything is related and comes down to Nova's decision. Like you said, Temple might hope that Nova says no and UCF goes to the BE and they get C-USA's #12 spot then UMass stays in the CAA with Nova. If Nova upgrades I would think Temple will commit to the MAC and UMass joins as #14. After that, things will probably be pretty stable for awhile.

My big question is why has it taken this long? If the money was better then it should have happened for Nova already. I think they're going to say no, but maybe that's because I'm rooting for Nova to stay in the CAA though. I'd love some shake ups. Let's go for a full on Big East split!!

Then again, the timing of everything might be pure coincidence and we are reading too much into things, but like Gibbs says on NCIS, I don't believe in coincidences.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

I'm thinking UMass's decision depends on Nova actually. The similarity to the timing of all the announcements seems like everything is related and comes down to Nova's decision. Like you said, Temple might hope that Nova says no and UCF goes to the BE and they get C-USA's #12 spot then UMass stays in the CAA with Nova. If Nova upgrades I would think Temple will commit to the MAC and UMass joins as #14. After that, things will probably be pretty stable for awhile.

My big question is why has it taken this long? If the money was better then it should have happened for Nova already. I think they're going to say no, but maybe that's because I'm rooting for Nova to stay in the CAA though. I'd love some shake ups. Let's go for a full on Big East split!!

Then again, the timing of everything might be pure coincidence and we are reading too much into things, but like Gibbs says on NCIS, I don't believe in coincidences.

Ha watching NCIS right now, a Dr. House reference could have worked too...

So if Nova says no to the BE and UCF becomes the 10th member and lets assume Temple fills in their spot in CUSA East (which would be a full membership right?) then why wouldn't UMass join the MAC as a football only like Temple is? I think the MAC needs to step up and take Middle Tennessee (and possibly even Western Kentucky) to get a little more relevance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:24 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I don't understand why, UMass or the MAC has to wait on Temple. If Temple leaves you can still add UMass as #13 for fb just like they have w/ Temple now and like they did with Marshall a few years ago.

I hear you. That's why I dont' get the rumors of the delay being on Temple, when there are other things that need to happen at Umass alone.

But you're right...if you lose Temple, wouldn't it still be a benefit to bring Umass in? You'd add New england as a recruiting base, you'd give Buffalo a new northeast school. And what's to stop the MAC from just extending a 14th invite to any of the other upgrade options like App St.. Or even JMU in a few years. Hell, even Charlotte or GA St. as it's football only. Any of these schools thinking about an upgrade will have to be in an FBS conference. Might as well be the MAC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:39 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Is Illinois State still considering an upgrade? Even if Temple bails, they could be a nice expansion partner for UMass.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

wbyeager wrote:
Is Illinois State still considering an upgrade? Even if Temple bails, they could be a nice expansion partner for UMass.

Not with any real legs. Same goes with Missouri St. If you recall, the Sunbelt offered them a spot a few years ago if MSU upgraded. They passed on it.

I for one would love to see many of the FCS schools in that region upgrade, like those in the MVFC. Would open things up a bit in the MAC too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Ha watching NCIS right now, a Dr. House reference could have worked too...

So if Nova says no to the BE and UCF becomes the 10th member and lets assume Temple fills in their spot in CUSA East (which would be a full membership right?) then why wouldn't UMass join the MAC as a football only like Temple is? I think the MAC needs to step up and take Middle Tennessee (and possibly even Western Kentucky) to get a little more relevance.

I'm completely with you on MTSU and WKU. I really think the MAC has a shot at that especially if C-USA takes a SB school in replacement of whomever they lose. If things get really crazy and the MWC takes SMU and Houston after UCF goes to the BE and C-USA takes 3 SB schools then I think it would definitely happen. But that's a lot of ifs still to play out just right.

As for your question, I'm really just speculating right now. Like I said, the timing of the announcements seems interesting, like they are related. If I'm right about it UMass's decision depending on Nova's then there might be other things at play. Perhaps the CAA said they plan to expand down south again if anyone leaves making travel worse and MAC travel not look so bad. Maybe they are going to play each other every year to help each other out. Also, Nova was invited in September while UMass's plans weren't announced until November so maybe the reason the move came up at all was because of Nova potentially moving.

Again, all speculation and I may be completely off but it seems logical enough. Like I said, the next round of expansion could be really fun, or really short. But we'll see soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

MAC already tried that...WKU and MTSU. WKU made it as far as a potential vote, but it got rejected beforehand. Doesn't mean the MAC isn't interested in both schools, just means that a couple years ago, it got rejected.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
MAC already tried that...WKU and MTSU. WKU made it as far as a potential vote, but it got rejected beforehand. Doesn't mean the MAC isn't interested in both schools, just means that a couple years ago, it got rejected.

Right, and as of right now I don't think they would move. My thinking (not sure if I am speaking for tkalmus) would be if there were some shakeups and the Sun Belt lost a couple teams to C-USA then they might consider it. I'd like to see a 16 team MAC for sure. The way I see it happening is if C-USA loses UCF to the BE, Houston and SMU to the MWC and C-USA grabs three Sun Belt schools (UNT, one or both of the Floridas, Troy?). Unlikely, but possible. I posted something similar to this awhile back about adding those two, UMass, and splitting North/South instead of East/West.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn,congratulations.

Cleveland Plain Dealer report(previously posted in another thread) that MAC/UMass will hold presser tomorrow to announce UMass joining in 2012 for FB only.Link at http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college ... ts_fo.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

2nd link

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/report-umas ... dium-.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next