NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:18 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I'm glad someone in the media has gotten on this.

I've been a big fan of such a move for some time, but only from a MAC perspective. I'm not sure if this is the best thing for SIU, but adding them, even without football, would be a solid move for basketball.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:55 pm 
So the news article threads include discussion of MAC meetings with WKU, including this tidbit:

Quote:
Western President Gary Ransdell said the Sun Belt, which sponsors I-A football, has been "exerting pressure" on Western to join the league in football but that the school has been reluctant because of financial reasons.

Ransdell said moving to I-A football might be worth it financially if it meant getting into a league such as the MAC.

"A different conference may present different revenue variables," he said.

Selig said that while a move to the MAC would provide Western with the opportunity to go to I-A football, he has not had in-depth discussions with MAC officials in regards to membership requirements. He said there might be a scenario in which Western football would stay in the Gateway.

Sounds like SIU for all sports, WKU for all but football and Temple for football only, for the conspiracy theorists in us!! Perhaps the Temple move is only temporary while WKU or SIU upgrade their programs?

Hmmmmmm... ???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Sorry if anyone has already found this out, but this is the first I've heard of it...

Link to EMU campus newspaper stating that BGSU will move to the MAC East next fall for 2005:
http://www.easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?2806

Link to BGSU Athletic website stating that their rivalry with Toledo will continue with their move:
http://bgsufalcons.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021405aaa.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

anyone know how toledo feels about being the odd ohio school out?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

WKU / MAC article:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050217/SPORTS/502170433/1002/SPORTS

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:22 pm 
Agree with Northern.

Why should the MAC expand beyond 12 ? Especially if it involves junk like considering "partial membership"... what the hell is that.

They seem fine with 12, and it appears the 15,000 attendance criteria may go away, so unless someone else leaves they appear set.

If you had to add an All-sports member, WKU wouldn't be too bad (assuming they move up to 1-A football), but going beyond 12 seems unnecessary, and considering the addition of Temple for their rotten football program ONLY defies all logical thought.

The MAC is a nice tight geographic region. No problem with playing Temple a lot of OOC football games (as they are planning to do). Why not leave it at that ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next