NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 am 
Junior
Junior

EKU looking at MAC?
http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/01/ ... ve-to-fbs/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
EKU looking at MAC?
http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/01/ ... ve-to-fbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, you'd think if for some crazy reason JMU turned down the MAC to stay fcs, they'd hit up Delaware or Illinois St. before EKU. I guess that's EKU, saying we're here if you need us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Someone pointed out on the CSN board that if JMU were to announce a move to the MAC next week the CAA would not allow them into any postseason tournaments.

I think they have to wait until the end of the school year to do that. This year's clubs are safe, but not any of the transitional ones, except football.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:
EKU looking at MAC?
http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/01/ ... ve-to-fbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, you'd think if for some crazy reason JMU turned down the MAC to stay fcs, they'd hit up Delaware or Illinois St. before EKU. I guess that's EKU, saying we're here if you need us.

I hope that's due diligence going on there with EKU and the MAC and not the MAC's preferred target. I thought the MAC could be pretty picky...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

I've been seeing a lot of about the MAC adding James Madison in all-sports. My questions are:

What is the current status on Massachusetts - are they trying to find their way to the American or will they go all-sports into the MAC?
With the addition of Virginia school James Madison (assuming), does the MAC try after Marshall or even Western Kentucky?
Why the Group of 5 conferences making no more than X amount divided by Y number of teams, why would the MAC or any other conference want to expand past 12?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The last question ins a good one.
And it begs the questioin - why did CUSA expand to 14 ?

This limit was shoved down the throats of the G5 by the P5,
primarily to discourage the growth of FBS conferences and the number of "move-ups" form FCS that sought to "share the wealth".
That is clear.

But for a G5 confernece, there isn't that much wealth to share anyway.
Their allocation of bowl money (unless they crack the 4-team National semi-finals) is something on the order of $12- 15 million per conference.
So at 12 teams, let's say $1 million / school / year.
At 14 teams, that would be further diluted, and amount to $857,000.

$143,000 is significant money, but could possibly be negated by adding 2 teams that made the conferneces TV contract $2 million / year more valuable.
The MAC is so highly concentrated in Ohio and Michigan, that they might be well-served by an intelligent expansion eastward.
I've thought a pod with Buffalo, UMass, Delaware, and JMU might be good.
Add Youngstown State for 16.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
What is the current status on Massachusetts - are they trying to find their way to the American or will they go all-sports into the MAC?

UMass is a mess. Football is near lifeless with an administration that really could pull the plug on it. They're playing their home games an hour from Amherst, and what's being renovated in Amherst isn't exactly a "top of the line" FBS-caliber venue. It's maybe even just par for the MAC. The MAC wants these guys in their entirety, but UMass wants the A10 hoops if it can't get into the AAC (or ACC or Big Ten, which is what they really want).

JMU might help make parking in the MAC fully more suitable to them. Maybe JMU, ODU, and/or Army's fb might help that. UMass was in their element when they were in that old CAA structure. JMU is their type, in a way.

Quote:
With the addition of Virginia school James Madison (assuming), does the MAC try after Marshall or even Western Kentucky?

I've heard stuff about Marshall ranging from "the door's always open," to "never again." From both sides. I think CUSA's outlived Marshall's benefit, but I wonder if people perceive going back to the MAC as a step down. It really isn't.

Western Kentucky...I think WKU tried getting in there, but weren't well received. I think, however, that was because WKU came across as a "we're yours for the time being." The MAC has had those kind of programs very often. No thanks. At least, that offer isn't there for a WKU-type.

Quote:
Why the Group of 5 conferences making no more than X amount divided by Y number of teams, why would the MAC or any other conference want to expand past 12?

There's potential for quality and quantity. Not P5 quality and quantity, but some upsides. Certain conferences have different ceilings than others (like, a super Sun Belt of 14+ is probably useless, but an enlarged AAC with the right schools could improve their lot), but I think the MAC (as well as the MWC and AAC) might have better leverage than others. It helps the MAC that they get along okay with the Big Ten. On top of what (little) they get, they don't have to look very far for a pay-out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Just read an article linked on the Sun Belt forum about that conference's expansion interests. Basically it hints that Liberty is most likely to join the Sun Belt, and that the MAC is at least considering James Madison.

JMU has invested more in athletics than some MAC schools, and it gets the MAC into the a good recruiting area, which benefits everyone in the conference. All of JMU's sports are sponsored by the MAC except for women's lax, which would likely to go to A-Sun. Since Delaware clearly isn't interested, JMU is the best option the MAC has. And also having UMass would finally put an even number of teams in each football division.

As for basketball, the MAC has had 13 all-sports members before, and now that they've expanded to 18 conference games they could have home & home with 6 teams and only play the other 6 once a year. UMass could keep their sports in the A-10, and the MAC can renegotiate a deal with them to give UMass less than the full members but enough to make the affiliation work.

JMU would of course rather be in C-USA, but probably would make less there. And with ODU, Charlotte and WKU joining, Marshall isn't coming back, especially since they still play Ohio and other MAC schools in football every year. JMU could schedule ODU out of conference if they really want to play them.

JMU played Akron in September and only lost by 2. Akron went 5-7 in the FBS, while JMU went 6-6 in FCS and fired their coach after this season. Even in the FCS, JMU has better attendance than some MAC schools. Their location gives them a recruiting advantage, their size is average for MAC schools, and they could make bowl games more often than half the MAC does. The MAC just needs to add them already, because their really aren't any cons to this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

robconstant wrote:
Just read an article linked on the Sun Belt forum about that conference's expansion interests. Basically it hints that Liberty is most likely to join the Sun Belt, and that the MAC is at least considering James Madison.

JMU has invested more in athletics than some MAC schools, and it gets the MAC into the a good recruiting area, which benefits everyone in the conference. All of JMU's sports are sponsored by the MAC except for women's lax, which would likely to go to A-Sun. Since Delaware clearly isn't interested, JMU is the best option the MAC has. And also having UMass would finally put an even number of teams in each football division.

As for basketball, the MAC has had 13 all-sports members before, and now that they've expanded to 18 conference games they could have home & home with 6 teams and only play the other 6 once a year. UMass could keep their sports in the A-10, and the MAC can renegotiate a deal with them to give UMass less than the full members but enough to make the affiliation work.

JMU would of course rather be in C-USA, but probably would make less there. And with ODU, Charlotte and WKU joining, Marshall isn't coming back, especially since they still play Ohio and other MAC schools in football every year. JMU could schedule ODU out of conference if they really want to play them.

JMU played Akron in September and only lost by 2. Akron went 5-7 in the FBS, while JMU went 6-6 in FCS and fired their coach after this season. Even in the FCS, JMU has better attendance than some MAC schools. Their location gives them a recruiting advantage, their size is average for MAC schools, and they could make bowl games more often than half the MAC does. The MAC just needs to add them already, because their really aren't any cons to this.

Here's a better story, JMU beat a ranked Virginia Tech team a few years ago. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... er-sources

So is UMass banking on something opening for them in the American by 2015? Or are they just getting left out in the cold?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

fighting muskie wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677441/massachusetts-minutemen-reach-agreement-leave-mid-america-conference-2015-season-per-sources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So is UMass banking on something opening for them in the American by 2015? Or are they just getting left out in the cold?

Independent. They rejected the all-sports invitation and were forced out. Makes sense for the MAC: if you're not getting them for all-sports and no longer have Temple, why bother.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

Would this mean JMU is not going to the MAC either? This could help the Sun Belt get them, The only way i could see JMU going to the MAC is if they go after Marshall

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think this opens the door wide open for two full members. They gave UMass the courtesy one, who rebuffed, then told them to leave.

Here we go!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JMU and Missouri St.? JMU and Illinois St.? stay at 12 and JMU settles for SBC? Marshall and JMU w/ UMass to CUSA, Quinn says UMass finding a home in AAC, CUSA soon is unlikely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:22 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The article implied that the MAC would stay at 12 in the future, and with the playoff not giving them extra for future members I can see that being the case. UMass will probably end up as the 12th member of the Sun Belt because the Sun Belt hasn't been (at least from how rumors sound) united enough on a new full member for anyone else to take the spot.

Beyond that, EKU and JMU could join UMass (though this is more speculation than anything) in the Sun Belt starting with the 2016 season. UMass isn't going to the American because UConn doesn't want them, and C-USA is full. App State wanted a C-USA invite too, but eventually figured out that the Sun Belt was better than FCS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think CUSA would expand for all of UMass, but not just its football.

JMU and MoSu look like the most ready FCS options, but some of those MAC schools have OVC roots, and that might fast-track EKU...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next