NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:59 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well Army has not been very competitive in FBS for quite some time.

They got pummeled as a member of CUSA, went back independent in 2004 (?).
They know htey'd get pummeled in the AAC (largely former CUSA schools).
They wouldn't fare THAT much better in CUSA, MAC or Sun-Belt,
plus they don't want to be restricted to playing 8 of those opponents per year.

They are member of the Patriot league (with Navy) for all sports but football.
That's about Army's level of competition. Which is about the same as the Ivy League.
Yale is an FCS (Ivy) team not too far away (West Point, NY - New Haven, CT).
What's wrong with Army playing them ?

Army's problem is that they are an FCS level team trapped in the FBS
(I guess by the perceived need to "showcase" their lousy program vs. about 10 FBS schools, for recruiting purposes).
But they are just not set up to compete.
No slap at the kids on the team - they have made a 4-year commitment after graduation to serve in the Military.
But it's hard to build the necessary FBS-level depth required on their football roster.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:56 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
carolinaknights wrote:
The MAC should hold on to UMass FB only while they have them and continue to build in the eastern time zone and TV markets with another FB only to go with them like Army. Army would fit into the MAC better than they would fit into any other conference for FB and leave their Olympic Sports in the Patriot. They could be competitive there and add to Buffalo and UMass for Northeast TV markets. If Army remains independent look for an FCS school in that area that wants to move up.

James Madison and Delaware as full members would be good east coast adds but James Madison is pretty set on entering FBS as a C-USA member.

James Madison would be a good grab for the MAC but Delaware has shown no interest in moving up. Nice campus and nice stadium at Delaware but the stadium only seats 22k. Its tucked in pretty tight too within its sports complex so I don't know how many seats they would be able to add in an expansion of the stadium. Maximum crowd sellout is listed at around 23.5k in it current capacity. Delaware would be a good grab though, but I think their interest would be in the AAC playing against local rivals they occasionally play against at D1 - Temple and Navy. Playing UConn and a traveling crowd from ECU would also be more in their best interests for selling out the stadium than MAC teams. However they have shown no interest in increasing their athletic budget and moving up at this time.

Last edited by carolinaknights on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:58 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Maybe Army needs to consider this scheduling model:

Navy
Air Force
an FCS school
the 9 worst FBS schools they can find.

That way they would get some wins and bring some respectability to the program.

Army shouldn't be scheduling anyone that they dont have at least a 50/50 chance of beating. They can still keep a modicum of academic prestige by scheduling schools like Tulane, Rice, and Miami (OH). They also need to be thinking about getting into major markets. Scheduling Georgia St and/or Charlotte each year would be wise; neither will be any good for some time and they play in the South's two largest metropolitan areas. San Jose St serves a similar purpose for a West Coast presence. While playing SMU and TCU is more prestigious for the Black Knights of the Hudson, North Texas would be an easier game ans also gets them in the Dallas/Ft Worth market. Army definitely needs to have a national schedule and I think conference membership would be bad for them but they need to play the easiest national schedule their AD can make.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
Maybe Army needs to consider this scheduling model:

Navy
Air Force
an FCS school
the 9 worst FBS schools they can find.

That way they would get some wins and bring some respectability to the program.

Army shouldn't be scheduling anyone that they dont have at least a 50/50 chance of beating. They can still keep a modicum of academic prestige by scheduling schools like Tulane, Rice, and Miami (OH). They also need to be thinking about getting into major markets. Scheduling Georgia St and/or Charlotte each year would be wise; neither will be any good for some time and they play in the South's two largest metropolitan areas. San Jose St serves a similar purpose for a West Coast presence. While playing SMU and TCU is more prestigious for the Black Knights of the Hudson, North Texas would be an easier game ans also gets them in the Dallas/Ft Worth market. Army definitely needs to have a national schedule and I think conference membership would be bad for them but they need to play the easiest national schedule their AD can make.

Navy, Air Force, Temple, UMass, NE D1AA, Eastern Michigan, Tulane, Rice, SMU, Miami OH, San Jose, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, FAU / FIU for Florida exposure, Georgia St, Charlotte, and Old Dominion make for a winnable schedule. Just stick with Sunbelt, CUSA, AAC, MWC, and MAC bottom feeders. I think the old AD Navy policy was 4 games we should win, 4 games we can win, and 4 games we hope to win for an annual schedule before Navy joined the AAC. That type of scheduling produced at least 6&6 or 7&5 seasons and a post season bowl year after year.

Still think Army could be competitive in the MAC or Sunbelt with a soft OOC schedule if they had a desire to join a conference again or were forced to join a conference down the road and give up being an independent for FB.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:02 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think Duke, Wake, and Vandy are too hard for Army. I think they need to stick with non-power 5 opponents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
I think Duke, Wake, and Vandy are too hard for Army. I think they need to stick with non-power 5 opponents.

Army doesn't think so. As a matter of fact Wake is on the schedule for 2014. Wake, Duke, and Vandy are routinely circulated through Army schedules. Army plays at least one P5 team a year. In 2014 they play Wake (ACC), in 2015 Rutgers (B-10) is on the schedule, and in 2016 they play ND (FB Independent). The rest of their schedules are then filled with G5 opponents and at least one D-1AA opponent for a one and done home game to get at least 6 home games since the annual Army / Navy game is always played at a neutral site usually in Philadelphia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

As posted in another thread by freaked, the MAC and ESPN agreed to a new 13-year deal through 2026-27. Curiously enough, this is also the same lifespan of the ACC GoR - whether or not ESPN coordinated this strategically or coincidentally is unknown. It may be ESPN saying that the Power 5 split from the Group of 5 won't occur until then. I honestly can't imagine a reason ESPN would waste a contract of such length on a single conference that wouldn't be at the highest level. So maybe the Group of 5 conferences are "safe" until then or maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Correct me if I'm wrong - I haven't read the details of this agreement - but I'm betting that it's not a lot of money,
and involves the MAC delivering a lot of weeknight games to ESPN.
The Group of 5 is "safe" (whatever that means), but this split between the P5 and G5 is already a done deal.
Those G5 schools aren't going anywhere, they just have been relegated to "the second tier".

Sure, the P5 threw them a bone, with one bowl slot (which equates to some shared cash), but it's small potatoes.
And does anyone honestly think the selection committee will choose an undefeated G5 team over an 11-1 P5 team for one of the 4 slots in the CFP ?
If you beleive that, I've got some nice swamp land to sell.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong - I haven't read the details of this agreement - but I'm betting that it's not a lot of money,
and involves the MAC delivering a lot of weeknight games to ESPN.
The Group of 5 is "safe" (whatever that means), but this split between the P5 and G5 is already a done deal.
Those G5 schools aren't going anywhere, they just have been relegated to "the second tier".

Sure, the P5 threw them a bone, with one bowl slot (which equates to some shared cash), but it's small potatoes.
And does anyone honestly think the selection committee will choose an undefeated G5 team over an 11-1 P5 team for one of the 4 slots in the CFP ?
If you beleive that, I've got some nice swamp land to sell.....

I believe it isn't a lot of money, but it is still a deal which leads me to believe the G5 schools will still be in the top level of football and we won't have a "Division 4" until at least the end of the 2026-2027 year. This is what I mean by "safe." Safe in the top level of football even though relegated to the "second tier."

As far as weeknight games go, I love MACtion during the week. Some of the most fun-to-watch games for me are the high scoring MAC games. Not saying any MAC team is qualified to play in the B1G, but I do enjoy those games - as I'm sure others do as well.

I don't believe anyone is delusional that a 12-0 G5 will surpass an 11-1 P5. I do think a 12-0 G5 would have a hope to surpass a 10-2 or 9-3 or what have you as long as the G5's OOC schedule was difficult enough. I do think that if the same G5 were to go 12-0 over the course of 2-3 years in a row, the committee may feel pressured (whether internally or externally) to put the G5 in as the 4th seed. But we won't know until this system comes across a Boise St type of school (maybe even Boise St) that goes above and beyond expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Personally, I wish that ESPN would move the Tuesday and Wednesday night MAC games from November to October and make an agreement with the Sunbelt or C-USA for November. I love watching nationally televised MAC games but its pitiful to see how empty the stadiums are during those night games due to the start time and the fact that they are all in the Midwest--the Big Ten never plays November night games for this very reason--its too cold for the fans. Air a southern league on November nights. Fans win because we get more football.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
Personally, I wish that ESPN would move the Tuesday and Wednesday night MAC games from November to October and make an agreement with the Sunbelt or C-USA for November. I love watching nationally televised MAC games but its pitiful to see how empty the stadiums are during those night games due to the start time and the fact that they are all in the Midwest--the Big Ten never plays November night games for this very reason--its too cold for the fans. Air a southern league on November nights. Fans win because we get more football.

I think you may be right. Do you think that each new TV network deals could help the smaller conferences get more tv time? The SEC network just launched last week. While they most likely have the lower end SEC games on it. Do you think that having games on just the networks wither it be the PAC 12 or big ten network free up slots for the sun belt, C-USA or the MWC?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:08 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

46566 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I think you may be right. Do you think that each new TV network deals could help the smaller conferences get more tv time? The SEC network just launched last week. While they most likely have the lower end SEC games on it. Do you think that having games on just the networks wither it be the PAC 12 or big ten network free up slots for the sun belt, C-USA or the MWC?

Even with 3 conference networks in place I don't see there being much of an opportunity for air time for the little guys except on midweek time slots. Maybe FoxSports1 could pick up Sunbelt games on Tuesdays-Fridays but other than that its going to be tough to compete with the big boys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The blueprint is what C-USA is doing with Sinclair's network of OTA stations. Now if Fox acquires Time Warner and decides to pump up Turner Sports, that could be a G5 conference's big break.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23