NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: G5 Championship Bowls
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:44 pm 
Junior
Junior

Should the G5 conference set up two bowl games to highlight their conference champions?

Only two bowls are needed as one of the conference champion will likely be invited to play with the P5s.
One bowl would then have the first and 4th picks of the remaining 4 conference champions, and the other 2nd and 3rd pick. the two would alternate this year to year.
I would set up one bowl in Texas/NM (convenient travel for MWC, CUSA, AAC, and Sun Belt) and the other in the Southeast somewhere (convenient to fans of the MAC, AAC, CUSA, and Sub Belt)

advantages:
1. better match ups for the conference champions
2. ground works for any P5 break away as these could then serve as semifinals for a G5 championship.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I like your idea. Unfortunately the AAC, CUSA and MWC may earn more money by sending their champs to play the [#4 or whatever] team from a P5 conference...

The Sun-Belt and MAC could do this without too much trouble. Unfortunately, the G5 lets ESPN dictate all this to them, since ESPN "owns" all the bowls...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:18 am 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
I like your idea. Unfortunately the AAC, CUSA and MWC may earn more money by sending their champs to play the [#4 or whatever] team from a P5 conference...

The Sun-Belt and MAC could do this without too much trouble. Unfortunately, the G5 lets ESPN dictate all this to them, since ESPN "owns" all the bowls...

if it makes more money for ESPN then it might happen
a lot of it is in the promotion and some concepts are easier to promote than others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

If the P-5 were to break away i would prefer the G-5 to merge back with the FCS. Then change the FCS football rules to allow for up to 85 scholarships. Allow conferences determine the minimum scholarship requirements for the respective conference. A example would be the Ivy and Pioneer conference not offer football scholarships. While the AAC,MWC and C-USA might offer the full 85 football scholarships. This move will allow schools to reorganize to suit their economic needs or reshuffle for other sports.This will help the P-5 Schools in allowing them allot of teams to play in the FCS instead of being stuck at only playing G-5 schools. There is no justifiable reason to have 3 separate football divisions in football. Allow FCS teams to be in "new" regional bowl games against members not in the playoffs. With the amount of teams that would be in the new FCS and having regional bowl games then the bowls have a chance to make money. You could have a Sun Belt-Southland bowl in Texas, A C-USA VS CAA match up in Carolina. OVC Vs MAC in Detroit. I think those bowls could make money and be interesting.

Not much change is need to add the G-5 to the current FCS playoffs.Just remove 5 at large berths for conference champs. (14 at large berths this year) There is no need to change the current formula for the playoffs. At most they could seed the teams to see who hosts the first 2 rounds. Have it so that conference champs get to host the first round.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:11 pm 
Junior
Junior

I doubt most fcs programs would vote to increase the number of scholarships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the Power 5 were to break away I imagine that the top FCS leagues would move up and there would be three tiers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:36 am 
Junior
Junior

even if the P5 and G5 stick together
the G5 should work on highlighting their conferences better and one such way is to highlight their champions
better than having their conference champion playing another G5 conference, win or lose, than to play a 7-5 P5 team and lose