Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Idea: Western Cup
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

This is an idea I was thinking of all day today...Now that the MWC will have 9 teams...I thought of a great idea to increase the rivalry between the MWC and the WAC...

The WAC needs to invite Idaho, and get to 9 teams...then let each member of each conference play a designated "rival" game with a team from the other conference...then the Conference with the most wins in these "rival" games will get a Trophy named the "Western Cup"(other names can apply)...

5 members of the MWC and WAC each have an in-state rival...now these rivalry games can mean more and also determine a "which is the better conference" on the field...Check out what I mean...

WAC

Fresno State
San Jose State
Nevada
Boise State
Idaho*
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP
Hawaii

MWC

UNLV
San Diego State
Utah
BYU
Wyoming
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico
TCU

Western Cup Games...

Nevada vs. UNLV
Fresno State vs. San Diego State
Utah State vs. Utah
New Mexico State vs. New Mexico
UTEP vs. TCU

Hawaii vs. BYU
Boise State vs. Colorado State
Idaho vs. Wyoming
San Jose State vs. Air Force

With these games, each team will have a "home and home" every 2 years and these games will count as non conference games of course...I tried to fit the traditional and natural rivalries together, along with the athletic fits of each school...yea Air Force would probably kick San Jose State every year, but it was all that was left after picking...

I think this would be a great idea, maybe they could get it sponsored by a big company and money would be given to the Conference that won that year...I think it would help join the MWC and WAC together, and turn the bitter rivalry they have into a healtheir rivalry...

What do you think??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:43 am 
Senior
Senior

I think its a great idea :D...thats why it won't happen :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:32 pm 
It is a good idea, but the MWC is trying to put the WAC out of business, not help them sell tickets. They also are trying to assert themselves as a BCS-caliber or near-BCS-caliber conference that cannot be bothered with the likes of the WAC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:17 pm 

I think a few of these rivalry games are played already each year (Utah/Utah State, New Mex/New Mex State) and a few others are probably played every couple of years...I know that the MWC wants to show they're a BCS caliber league, i know that they don't like the WAC or want them around, but this could be another way to show the BCS that they are worthy...and it's only one game a year for each team...it's a game they probably would already play, I'm just saying that they could establish it and make it mean something more for those rivalry games...not just pride for your school, but also for the conference that they play in...

And for some teams like

TCU(vs. UTEP)
Air Force(vs. San Jose State)

It's a guarunteed win probably every time they play those Western Cup games...

I mean most teams always want to schedule a cupcake team or two in their ooc games anyway, so adding those teams or replacing other ooc games isn't such a bad idea after all...

And you're telling me that Colorado State wouldn't want to play Boise State?? Remember Boise State Beat TCU!! A CSU/BSU game would be a great game on ESPN.