NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Sunbelt Realignment News
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
This might be a dream conference but its seems the Southland and Sun Belt has alot of the same problems with football and non football. Here is I-AAA conference from the south.

Arkansas-Little Rock
Cenetary
Denver
Lamar
New Orleans
Oral Roberts
South Alabama
Texas-Arlington
Texas Pan American
Texas-San Antonio

I left Texas A&M-CC off bc they were talking about football, same could be said with any of the members though.

Brilliant!

You're a genious SportsKC.

I like it.

There's even enough teams left over in the Southland football ranks to have a stand alone all-sports conference among themselves:

Central Arkansas
McNeese State
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
Sam Houston State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin
Texas State

Though, this would mean that the Mid Con would be looking for 2 more teams, as they would be down to 6.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Met add Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to the Southland list. Or whatever Southland school that wants to add football.

For the Mid-Con, that could be the chance for the D2 move ups to establish a North Central type conference. IPFW, NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Grand Valley State could be a nice conference with the left over Mid-Con schools.

North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
UMKC

Grand Valley State
IPFW
IUPUI
Oakland
Valpo
Western Illinois

Mid-Con could also then have football.

Last edited by sportskc on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Yes, that would be a cool conference.

Although, if GVSU wasn't possible for a move up, then UVSC is probably more practical in termsa of availability. Put UMKC in the Eastern Division, and Place UVSC in the western.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
If USA's enrollment can keep climbing, we might see the football Jaguars go varsity within a few years; Title IX will be a huge issue (the school already dropped men's soccer).

The bad news: The University of Alabama wants to boost their enrollment to well beyond 25,000.

WByeager, slightly off-topic, but still related to this issue and to the University of Alabama: is there any chance that the University of Montevallo will merge with the University of Alabama? I've heard talks about it before and I've wondered if anything has come of it or not. (I'm a Montevallo grad, that's why I ask)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I haven't heard anything about Montevallo and UA tying the knot, nor has my father (who is retired from the administration at USA) heard anything. Montevallo was rumored to be closed when higher education's all-time #1 enemy, Fob James, was governor, but then again, so were UAB, UAH, and AUM (The six reported survivors were Alabama State [HBCU], Alabama A&M [HBCU], Alabama [constitutional provision], Auburn [constitutional provision], Troy [better lobbyists], and either UAB or USA [medical school]).

Actually, I wonder if Tulane bites the I-A dust if Conference USA will try to bring a school on like the way the Big East did with Connecticut. Since the BCS autobid is probably firmly out of the picture, they could mooch a school from the Sun Belt or MAC, or take on a new football program like USA, who would pretty much lock up the GMAC Bowl forever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:05 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Actually, I wonder if Tulane bites the I-A dust if Conference USA will try to bring a school on like the way the Big East did with Connecticut. Since the BCS autobid is probably firmly out of the picture, they could mooch a school from the Sun Belt or MAC, or take on a new football program like USA, who would pretty much lock up the GMAC Bowl forever.

Or just add Louisiana Tech.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:17 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The SunBelt has always been viewed as a "fall back" option for Louisiana Tech, and this is according to several LTU fans. Right now, LTU is feasting off the credits of the departed WAC members and only plans to leave the WAC when those credits run out. That may be one reason Fresno State hasn't jumped to the MWC yet, other than the fact that they haven't been offered either., ;) . Louisiana Tech is hoping that the Big East picks off as a C-USA member so that they are able to join that conference, but if the BE chooses to leave C-USA intact (or no C-USA school decides to leave for the BE), LTU will then join the SunBelt for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Thanks for answering my Montevallo question, WByeager. :) Amazing that Montevallo was supposed to be closed, and ended up surviving!!! Wow!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:17 pm 
Junior
Junior

I dont think Louisiana Tech will leave the wac until it gets an invite from C-USA, which means it might be in the wac for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Can anybody please post the article about WKU possibly going to 1-A football in the Sun-belt ?
There is some type of registration gauntlet blocking access to the story referenced on the home page of this site.
Thanks.

It would seem to make sense to consolidate their sports in the same conference where they currently play their other sports.
They have reportedly been courted by the MAC, but if the MAC is somehow considered to be their best long-term option, they could always upgrade to 1-A withe FB in the Sun-Belt, and then make a whole-sale conference change at a some later date...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:48 am 
Junior
Junior

yes supposedly they would play a little in the sun belt then move to the mac, although the mac isnt doing to good this year and there are some attendance issues, personally I think the sun belt is a better choice, just not as prestigious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think Florida International joined when Florida Atlantic did.

There are currently 13 schools. 8 play FB in the Sun-belt.

Of the other 5, WKU plays 1-AA football in the Gateway (and is reportedly considering moving up to 1-A). If they play in the Sun-Belt, that would be 9 FB schools, which would give an 8 game round-robin which a lot of AD's really like.

Denver (non-football) was stuck in the Sun-Belt, when Utah State, New Mexico State, and Idaho left for the WAC. The are geographically isolated, and it is expected that at some point they will move elsewhere, which would leave the Sun-Belt at 12 schools.

delete key doesn't work....sleteriv
tea . d scshoolsdbhcoola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:30 pm 
Junior
Junior

9 is not an ideal number for football because it leaves 1 team without a conference game every week. AD's don't like scheduling NC games in the 2nd half of the season. They're usually hard to get.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:00 pm 
Junior
Junior

I dont think WKU would stick around too long before they go to the mac, Denver just has nowhere to go the west needs a new basketball/football conference

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Nine is actually a good number for football scheduling, since most teams have at least one bye week, if not two during the season anyway. Even schools in power conferences play non-conference games late in the season. The Sun Belt also has the flexibility of using the first week in December since there is no conference title game. Remember that the WAC and MWC also have 9 schools for football, and the MAC has 13.

I just don't see WKU joining the current MAC. They'd be the southernmost school, the conference already has 13 members for football, and most of them won't be any better draws for football than their Sun Belt opponents would be. MTSU should be a natural rival for WKU.

If there's any significant exodus from the MAC or Sun Belt, though, that may all be off the table. If you see any departures from Conference USA, things may get more interesting.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next