NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: WAC EXPANSION ARTICLES
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:05 pm 
The WAC could get cherry-picked by the MWC in the not-too-distant future.

They need to have a contigency plan in place.

Philosophically, do they want to invite only football-playing schools, or is it acceptable to invite some non-football schools ?

Choice 1) ( = invitees must play football) implies a raid on the Big Sky, in my opinion.

Choice 2) ( = FB not critical) opens up the possible invitees to a larger group, namely Big Sky, Denver, WCC, and / or Big West members).

They should be having these discussions NOW. The MWC could invite Fresno State, Boise State and one other school within the next year. La Tech has their eyes on CUSA, so the WAC could be reduced to 6 schools.

If and when that happens, the Big Sky may try to pre-empt a raid by moving the entire conference to D-1A, and even try to expand at the expense of the WAC.

The minute the MWC announces a move, expect the WAC, Big Sky to announce any moves that they are prepared to make (namely WAC expansion / Big Sky move-up).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Answering the other side of Yeager's question...

Before Gonzaga, there was Santa Clara, San Francisco, and Loyola-Marymount. Look out for Pepperdine and Portland coming up.

More to the point, the WCC is 8 nice small religious schools that already get better TV basketball coverage than the WAC does. Most of those schools aren't burdened by football. Why would Gonzaga make such a move?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:49 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:
The WAC could get cherry-picked by the MWC in the not-too-distant future.

I agree. When looking at the BCS and the MWC, adding Fresno St. and Boise St. will only help. And if they expand to 11 thy might as well add a 12th quality program, one that could serve as a bridge to TCU: UTEP.

Not a bad looking league:

West:
Fresno St.
Boise St.
San Diego St.
New Mexico
UNLV
UTEP

Mountain:
Wyoming
Colorado St.
Air Force
Utah
BYU
TCU

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 pm 
Well, I would have UTEP and New Mexico in the east
(call it the Mountain Division) with TCU, Colorado St., Air Force, and Wyoming.

And have Utah and BYU in the West Division with Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, and UNLV.

Nice league covering 8 states.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
Well, I would have UTEP and New Mexico in the east
(call it the Mountain Division) with TCU, Colorado St., Air Force, and Wyoming.

And have Utah and BYU in the West Division with Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, and UNLV.

Nice league covering 8 states.

I agree with what most of you on here are saying that Fresno, Boise, and El Paso will be the 10th, 11th, and 12th choices but I fail to see what is in it for the Mountain West to expand to 12 teams.

The MWC by definition is not a conference that could support a championship game well as it is far flung all over the Western United States. It would make more sense to move up to 10 teams and play full round robin schedules in basketball and football than to play in a 12 team split division setup.

The WAC took a big hit by losing UTEP who if they were playing in the WAC this year would be at least #3 in that conference.

If the MWC can go out and steal Fresno from the WAC, it would destroy the WAC as a viable football conference and hurt Boise State in the process. You have to look at how strong conferences are relative to each other and the WAC minus Fresno or Boise is nothing but another Sun Belt.

Then with Fresno, from an attendance perspective it helps the MWC as they will travel to and support rivalries against SDSU and UNLV to strengthen the western flank of the conference. I don't think UTEP or Boise really add that quality to the MWC as Fresno does.

If Fresno was in the MWC this year, between TCU and Fresno the MWC would be just as strong as the Big East in football. UTEP and Boise would not have faired as well as they did this year in my opinion if playing on a MWC schedule. Bowl elgible, UTEP and Boise probably would have done that but the MWC would have given them 2 more losses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:26 pm 
here is what's in it for the MWC.

They want into the BCS.

In 2007, there will be an evaluation of conferences, relating to who gets an automatic BCS bid for their conference champion.

After that, the BCS has stated there will be 5, 6 or 7 conferences with automatic bids in the 10-team field.

1-5 are obviously the SEC, ACC, B12, B10, PAC.
6 and 7 in whatever order you choose will be the BE and MWC.

The goal of the MWC is to appear at least as worthy as the BE, by the time of that evaluation. 3 Criteria have been layed out, and one is the number of top 25 teams 2004-2007. And you can retro-actively count the Top 25 finishes of new conference members. (i.e. Louisville's Top 25 finish in 2004 for the BE).

So if the MWC expands before the evaluation, they can count Top 25 finsihes by Boise State, Fresno State, etc. from the 2004-2007 time frame even for those years when they were not yet members of the conference.

This is a real opportunity for the MWC, and the deadline for announcing invitations and acceptances MAY be June 30, 2006 (for official membership prior to the evaluation).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:15 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:

So if the MWC expands before the evaluation, they can count Top 25 finsihes by Boise State, Fresno State, etc. from the 2004-2007 time frame even for those years when they were not yet members of the conference.

This is a real opportunity for the MWC, and the deadline for announcing invitations and acceptances MAY be June 30, 2006 (for official membership prior to the evaluation).

Here is my point.

In 2004 Boise State had the high BCS ranking

In 2005 Fresno State had the high BCS ranking

If 2006 and 2007 also come down as Fresno years, with Boise not finishing in the top 25.....why is there a need to add Boise?

Boise has probably peaked as they look a clear class below Fresno at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:35 pm 
You are trying to rate their current performance. That may make sense from the perspective of true conference strength.

However this "BCS evaluation" is based on a different criteria (number of top 25 finishes 2004-2007). Right or wrong that is the game they must play, and Boise State's past record is an asset in this regard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the Mountain West cherry-picks the WAC, could it be curtains for WAC football?

i.e.:

Mountain West:
SDSU, BSU, UNLV, UTAH, BYU, FRESNO
AFA, CSU, UNM, WYO, TCU, UTEP

Sun Belt:
UNT, NMSU, USU, UI, NEV, ASU
ULL, ULM, MTSU, FIU, FAU, TROY

San Jose State and Hawaii are left for dead as independents, hoping that either the Pac 10 expands to 12 or other conferences futher east expand and open up slots in the Mountain West.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:17 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Why would New Mexico State, Nevada, Utah State, and Idaho join the Sun Belt even if the MWC gets cherry picked?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why would the MWC add three when they can wait for Fresno to show up in the Top 15 someday [HEAD SHAKING... lost to NEVADA??] and get all the value they need from one school?

One of these days, Fresno's going to stop choking things away and make me look good. :/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Did I read correctly that attendance for the FSU @ Nevada game was only 17,000? Pretty embarrasing for the Nevada program. It was a good game too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 pm 
I could see Portland State & Sacramento State joining the WAC by 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:21 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Why would New Mexico State, Nevada, Utah State, and Idaho join the Sun Belt even if the MWC gets cherry picked?

If the WAC falls below 8 I-A football playing members, it pretty much ceases to be a I-A conference in the eyes of the NCAA. It could theoretically still continue with fewer than 8 members in football, but it'd be a difficult venture (scheduling, bowl tie-ins, etc.).

NMSU, USU, and Idaho are actually former Sun Belt football-only members. The Sun Belt was forced to add Troy, FAU, and FIU, or it would have lost its status as a I-A conference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:52 am 

Quote:
I could see Portland State & Sacramento State joining the WAC by 2011.

Sac is building a new 8K seat arena, fieldhouse and stadium to a tune of $125M. What facility improvements is PSU planning?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next