Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tulane
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

What's everyone's thoughts on Tulane? I think they are in a very interesting position, personally. Probably happy in C-USA, but with the latest realignment developments, who knows? If the Big XII boots Baylor (which seems like a logical possibility), Tulane would seem to be a natural selection, adding the New Orleans/Louisana/Southeast market. But I think the Big XII would expand elsewhere (CSU, Utah, BYU, Air Force, Arkansas) before going to Tulane. Another possibility would be the SEC if the Big XII stole Arkansas or the ACC stole South Carolina. Also, would the ACC consider adding Tulane? It's definitely a stretch, but would give the ACC a new market.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:16 pm 

Quote:
What's everyone's thoughts on Tulane? I think they are in a very interesting position, personally. Probably happy in C-USA, but with the latest realignment developments, who knows? If the Big XII boots Baylor (which seems like a logical possibility), Tulane would seem to be a natural selection, adding the New Orleans/Louisana/Southeast market. But I think the Big XII would expand elsewhere (CSU, Utah, BYU, Air Force, Arkansas) before going to Tulane. Another possibility would be the SEC if the Big XII stole Arkansas or the ACC stole South Carolina. Also, would the ACC consider adding Tulane? It's definitely a stretch, but would give the ACC a new market.

Thoughts?

As for a bigger league goes - The football is okay - flies below radar, bowl eligible 4/6 years, 2 bowl wins, 1 ranked finish - needs to improve, but it looks like it is doing just that. Need to improve attendance by at least 50%; need an on-campus basketball arena (for various reasons, one of which is that is a necessity to upgrade the basketball program); really need a new football stadium as they can't make any money out of the superdome unless they draw 50K, which they never will (they get no concessions or parking - these add up to 50-75% of ticket sales). Their geography, while not terrible, is not a plus to the leagues with which they will be compatible. Dr Cowen may be well regarded by a lot of folks and schools, but he is distrusted by just as many folks and schools.

As for their position in c-usa realignment, wherever the southern teams go, they'll be right there. However, unless they get into a high revenue league, their main focus will be on cost cutting - often, that approach ends up cutting your own throat. My guess is that they would be amenable to a new SWC - my further guess is that it would seriously hamper the recruiting and improvement in the football program and other sports, except for baseball.

Yes, I'm a TU fan - just my homer opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:29 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

need an on-campus basketball arena (for various reasons, one of which is that is a necessity to upgrade the basketball program

For the record, I believe Tulane's Fogelman Arena (cap. 3,600) is on-campus. While it's not very big, it does have character. Besides, Tulane can play their big games at the New Orleans Arena (cap. 18,000) adjacent to the Superdome. So while a new on-campus arena would be nice, I believe Tulane could focus their money elsewhere for the time being.

The same goes for a football stadium...New Orleans has two capable venues for football: the Superdome (cap. 70,000) and Tad Gormley Stadium (cap. 30,000). Tulane could still play their bigger games (Texas, LSU) at the Superdome, while playing more games at Tad Gormley to garner further revenue from parking and consessions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:54 am 

Quote:

For the record, I believe Tulane's Fogelman Arena (cap. 3,600) is on-campus. While it's not very big, it does have character. Besides, Tulane can play their big games at the New Orleans Arena (cap. 18,000) adjacent to the Superdome. So while a new on-campus arena would be nice, I believe Tulane could focus their money elsewhere for the time being.

I thought you were talking about moving into a larger conference. If so, Fogelman won't cut it. And it will be tough to resolve financial problems out of the superdome and Tad Gormley could work with a 10mill facelift.

The same goes for a football stadium...New Orleans has two capable venues for football: the Superdome (cap. 70,000) and Tad Gormley Stadium (cap. 30,000). Tulane could still play their bigger games (Texas, LSU) at the Superdome, while playing more games at Tad Gormley to garner further revenue from parking and consessions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:36 am 
Senior
Senior

Tulane doesn't bring the New Orleans market. LSU owns New Orleans. I seriously doubt Tulane will ever be a major power again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Tulane doesn't bring the New Orleans market. LSU owns New Orleans. I seriously doubt Tulane will ever be a major power again.

I agree. Sun Belt or possibly the eastern division of a weakened WAC is their lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:43 pm 
I visit NO 1 or 2 x per year. New orleans dosent pay much attention to tulane. LSU is their team. Tulane gives big conf nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I agree that Tulane currently does not command the New Orleans market, but the community takes some notice on those years when they do decently. And their facilities need some attention. Therein lies the biggest problem. The school has potential and could perhaps become a decent sporting presence for a private school, a la TCU, or Boston College. To do that, however, will require commitment on their part, something that suggests a long term plan to become a player in the national scene. Cost cutting moves at this point may signal the end to that possibility, however.

The other problem is their location with respect to the power conferences. They wouldn't add much to the SEC except a western counterpart to Vanderbilt. And they appear too distant/too small for the Big 12 or ACC to readily consider. They're best hope, IMO, is that a reconfigured CUSA takes on a more southern flare with some more Texas teams thrown in. I would imagine the conference needs some more large schools (read: NTSU) that could provide a future base of traveling fans. Tulane at more of the conference center could encourage more travel to their games (home and abroad) and would likely mean more conference finals in NO, which could encourage the team to strive for more titles.

If they traveled decently and showed some financial promise, I wouldn't rule out the ACC entirely. Alas...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:19 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Academic perspective on Tulane.

My apologies to Tulane alums, but here is my perception of the private school ACADEMIC pecking order in the South, based on some earlier days when I worked in the South, and it was part of my job to follow these rankings fairly closely... This info is dated by about fifteen years though, so changes could have occurred...

Duke
Emory (like Chicago, no DivI)
Vanderbilt
Rice
WakeForest
Miami
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Tulane

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
My apologies to Tulane alums, but here is my perception of the private school ACADEMIC pecking order in the South, based on some earlier days when I worked in the South, and it was part of my job to follow these rankings fairly closely... This info is dated by about fifteen years though, so changes could have occurred...

Duke
Emory (like Chicago, no DivI)
Vanderbilt
Rice
WakeForest
Miami
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Tulane

8-)

Of course, there's something to be said about being even last in a group like this, eh? And as we all know none of these schools are relying on their athletes to raise the rate of medical school grads! I'm just amazed that a school like Tulane could do as well academically in that environment; LOTS of distractions near by as New Orleans is no Winston-Salem!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

so tulane belongs in the sunbelt. It sounds as if the sunbelt is going to have 18 memebers by the time realignment is through in other words seems the sunbelt as going to smell like a rose when this is all said and done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulane had TCU's number monday they should had won but let it slip. I read it was a good game any truth to that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If I recall correctly:
TCU took control in the third quarter, and was up 31-14 with about 10 minutes to go. Tulane scored offensively then recovered a fumble on TCU's next posession to score again and make it 31-28. They traded scores again with Tulane adding 7 with about 30 seconds to go but still trailing. Ending whistle.

TCU looked solid, but didn't walk away with it save for the one quarter. Don't know if that's due to 1) TCU not being as good, 2) Tulane being better than originally thought, 3) first game/road game scenario wherein anyone has a chance. Louisville looked far and away the best of the CUSA schools this weekend, with Cincinatti a close second.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:15 pm 
I remember old Tulane stadium, home of the Sugar Bowl for a long time. Tell me, was it torn down? It was sort of in an upscale neighborhood the last time I was there. I also heard it was used for a few rock concerts but was later demolished. Does anyone know its current status for sure? I asked this question before on these boards but do not remember seeing an answer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

Torn down in 1981 if I'm not mistaken. Now there's dorms on the site (the actual field is unmolested--no plaque or anything though).