Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The trouble with hawaii
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:57 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Could you give me the distance between each WAC school and the University of Hawaii, because it would help out on whether Hawaii should stay or go elsewhere. (To the MWC or PAC-10, whichever you prefer). I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm 
The 1-A football school that is closest to Hawaii is San Diego St. from the MWC. On average I would guess that the PAC-10 is closest to Hawaii, then comes the MWC, then the WAC. Hawaii is so far from everyone else that I think it really doesn't matter too much. If I were Hawaii I would want to go elsewhere because the MWC and PAC-10 are better in most sports.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Hawaii is sort of a whole unique entity unto itself, and could probably survive for a few years as an independent, owing to the fact that visits to the islands are not counted against any other teams' total number of games, and there is a nice bowl game to offer...

That aside, they are probably not truly happy in the WAC, owing to earlier good relationships with the current schools in the MWC, in its pre WackyWac configuration. The Utah schools have always recruited heavily in Hawaii, and Mormon missionaries over the decades have created a large Mormon population in the islands.

Nevertheless, Hawaii will probably not make the first MWC expansion wish list, to be released probably prior to Christmas. Fresno State and Boise State look like top candidates, the first both for good tv exposure and BCS credibility, the latter only for BCS credibility, and to create some closer rivalries for the Utah schools.

Hawaii and Nevada appear to be good candidates for any possible round two MWC expansion if the ACC petition fails. Although there are some that would think New Mexico State and UTEP would create a tighter conference with more natural rivalries.

Isn't all this interesting, though?

:D

Last edited by javaman on Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:47 pm 
I suppose once you are in a plane traveling for hours, the issue may become who has the better airports and delivers the best gate receipts. Other than their current WAC, the MWC and PAC 10 seem to be the other practical considerations. Hawaii has great pluses--good holiday environment, good weather, respectable facilities, State name, decent competition, and OK academics. On the down side, while football travel may no be such as profound issue; traveling to and from Hawaii can be a real issue for minor/olympic type sports. Travel costs!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

one possible way to lower their costs may be to be the first conference to get a corporate sponsor. they could get a national airline that makes trips to hawaii to be their sponsor and instead of paying for the rights they give them discounts on the flights.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

"The Trouble with Hawaii"

Arguably the best title for any of our threads! ;D ;D ;D I needed this after last night's dismal performance by GT. (Not that it surprised me, but as a fan I'm supposed to take the losses hard, right?!)

That Hawaii continues to participate in the NCAA confounds me, and I can't fully understand the economies of scale and business ties they're exploiting to allow the school to shuttle 60+ people to and fro enough to field a team in any conference, let alone one with members in Tulsa and Ruston, La! I feel DNC hit the nail on the head here, a point which highlights the big difference between the MWC and the WAC. The average MWC school has enrollment of more than 20-25k and has attendances of more than 30k per game (2002). The WAC schools, meanwhile, average around 15k enrollment and about 23k per game. What's more, while the WAC has some big-name Texas markets, they're also competing for attention against some of the marquee programs in the country.

The MWC schools feel more like SEC and Big 12 schools, larger institutions with football pedigree. They'll show up whether Hawaii is 1-7 or 7-1. I just don't see that happening at Rice or Tulsa. This factor is more critical as Hawaii relies on the credibility of the football program to promote the school and, possibly, make money.

I agree that they're #3 on the MWC list of target invitees, but would not be surprised to see that conference automatically go to 12 members IF they could get exactly who they wanted. Given the state of sports today, who knows?

Once more, any word on the efforts for the WAC to have members sign committment papers?

Last edited by gunnerfan on Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:31 am 
Et al,

Not certain that Hawaii is #3 on the MWC list.
I give a lot of credibility to Javamans point about the recruiting of the Utah schools, although it's mainly BYU that has the link, not really Utah.
BYU would support Hawaii, and their influence could push the Rainbow Warriors up.
I see it as Fresno at the top, and Hawaii/Boise St. as a toss up, basically coming down to the value system or influence of current MWC schools/presidents/a.d's.

Hawaii really could go independant, but their Olympic sports are the concern, and of course basketball independance is a death sentence to any program. Got to be in a conference. And who, needs more Notre Dame type programs anyway (independant for football only :P)

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Hawaii belong in the PAC -10 .