All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:34 am 
Junior
Junior

http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/6671502

C-USA covets SMU, Rice, Tulsa, UCF for membership Sept. 25, 2003
By Tony Mejia
SportsLine.com Staff Writer

The round of conference reshuffling begun by the move of Miami and Virginia Tech from the Big East to the ACC has pitted Conference USA and the Western Athletic Conference against one another in a power struggle for survival, and C-USA has a plan to gain an upper hand.

A source close to the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said inviting Southern Methodist, Rice and Tulsa, along with second-year MAC member Central Florida, seems to be the most viable option to keep C-USA afloat as a 12-team league and stay in the business of big-time college athletics.

UCF and Tulsa have conditionally accepted bids, the source said.

(UCF athletic director Steve Orsini denied that was the case Friday, saying, "I don't know who that source is, but that is not true. We have not even received an invitation to join Conference USA, conditionally or otherwise.")

Even potential new divisions have been set, the source said. Houston, TCU and Tulane would be joined by WAC newcomers Rice, SMU and Tulsa in the West, while UCF would join in-state rival South Florida, Southern Miss, UAB, Memphis and East Carolina in the East.

Charlotte and Saint Louis would then likely accept invitations from the Atlantic 10.

"We have had numerous healthy discussions over the last 10 days about the future of our conference and have been developing contingency plans," C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said in a statement. "There are a wide variety of options that are being discussed and nothing has been decided.

"I am confident, however, that, as these events unfold, we will reach consensus on a plan that positions the conference very well in the future."

Ultimately, the fate of the plan might rest on TCU.

Of the schools in limbo (TCU, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and Tulane), the Horned Frogs have the most prosperous athletics program of the bunch, complete with a nationally ranked football team. If TCU heads to the WAC, or even the Mountain West, there might not be enough of a southwestern influence in C-USA to keep Houston and Tulane.

But if TCU stays put, Rice, Tulsa and SMU would likely come aboard.

Said SMU AD Jim Copeland: "What we'd like to do is be in a conference that makes sense geographically, whether that be in a division of the WAC or somewhere else. I believe that's most important for my university, and I'm paid to do the best thing possible for SMU."

What schools like Copeland's decide might ultimately determine the survival of both C-USA and the WAC.

"It's been described as a tug of war, and I think that's fair to say," WAC commissioner Karl Benson said. "Geographically, it just so happens we're after the same schools. The question for us as a league has been, how do we fix our geography? We've looked for schools that can add to our league's prestige and value, specifically TCU, Houston and Tulane."

Another MAC member, Marshall, might also be an active part of the reshuffling. Sources said the school was not given resounding approval by C-USA league presidents in recent meetings, but that could always change once the bullets start flying.

The Huntington, W.Va.-based school could also figure into the WAC's plans, especially if the league is decimated by defections to C-USA; at that point, it would need an eighth member.

"No invitations have been tendered at this point," said Houston AD Dave Maggard. "There are contingency plans in place with the thought of being prepared (for when the Big East makes it's move).

"At one point, everybody anticipated that BC and Syracuse to the ACC was a done deal. Obviously that wasn't the case. You just never know how things are going to shake out. But C-USA will not be caught by surprise when moves are made."

Wednesday's AP report that the Big East has targeted C-USA members Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, and Marquette was not news to any of the parties. Re-strengthening its position in basketball, which is how the league gained prominence in the 1980s, was paramount in commissioner Mike Tranghese's mind once Miami and Virginia Tech announced their intentions to leave.

Official invitations aren't expected to come until as late as November, but barring any unforeseen developments, the Big East will add the four institutions, with Cincinnati and Louisville slated to participate in football.

"We met in Chicago a little over a week ago and the presidents and chancellors met this past Sunday to look at some of the areas we may be looking to move into," Maggard said. "I anticipate these meetings will go on with some frequency in the coming weeks."

In a letter obtained by KRIV-TV in Houston, the WAC's Benson urged his conference's teams to actively recruit C-USA's southwestern-most members: Houston, TCU and Tulane.

"The WAC has a golden opportunity to secure its future and the athletic future of each of its members by creating its own 12-team league with two divisions," Benson wrote to league presidents.

"Without stability in the (WAC) West, it may also make it very difficult for Rice, SMU or Tulsa to decline a C-USA invitation if extended."

That "if" appears to be a near-certainty.

"I think it's going to be an interesting couple of months," Copeland said. "I expect that the situation will definitely be resolved by Christmas."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:40 am 
Junior
Junior

I actually like this idea quite a bit. Geographic conferences make the most sense for the schools and the fans.

Since it is widely thought that Hawaii, Boise State, Fresno and Nevada are going to the MWC. Send SMU, Rice, Tulsa over to CUSA. Bring on UCF and you would have a very decent mid major.

As for UTEP, San Jose State and La Tech.....there is always the sunbelt.

The MWC gets to 12
CUSA to 12 and
Sunbelt to 11. Bring on Florida A&M and there are three new championship games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I actually like this idea quite a bit. Geographic conferences make the most sense for the schools and the fans.

Since it is widely thought that Hawaii, Boise State, Fresno and Nevada are going to the MWC. Send SMU, Rice, Tulsa over to CUSA. Bring on UCF and you would have a very decent mid major.

As for UTEP, San Jose State and La Tech.....there is always the sunbelt.

The MWC gets to 12
CUSA to 12 and
Sunbelt to 11. Bring on Florida A&M and there are three new championship games.

good argument

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:14 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

It amazes me that UTEP is so far out of the expansion loop. They averaged 55,000 for their game sin 2001...not too sure about 2002 or this year. They are in the mountain time zone, but still in Texas. Not too far away from New Mexico either. Seems to me that the MWC could have a good addition with UTEP if TCU were to be an option.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Kingcal, agreed. The Sun bowl is in a fantastic setting. Not sure why UTEP is not a the top of expansion list for MWC?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:06 pm 
UTEP sucks...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Publius, do you think UTEP sucks in a new Conf USA or expanded MWC or UTEP sucks in general.

I don't see what Rice can provide the new Conf USA that Houston does not already provide. Same for SMU compared to TCU. Metro plex is covered.

Tulsa makes sense to help fill the void left from posssible basketball schools leaving.

Since we are on Conf USA future, I just don't get the urgency to get to 12 teams. Maybe Conf USA should only add Tulsa for now if USF remains to keep the conf with 9 members.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:04 pm 
I'm just commenting aloud to answer concerns as to why UTEP is "out of the loop" in terms of expansion, whether that expansion concerns the Mountain West, Conference USA, or [it has been mentioned repeatedly, so I am not making it up] the Big XII. If reloaded C-USA does go to 12, I think it is inevitable that certain areas (Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Tampa-Orlando) will be doubled, I am just not sure how many and which ones. I don't see UTEP or Louisiana Tech sliding in because El Paso and Shreveport represent "open" markets...(I think someone even made reference to Murfreesboro, Tennessee)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Doubling doesn't help a BCS conference where you already have a dominant school in the market. But it can help CUSA. Media coverage in DFW and Houston is split with the Big 12 getting most but substantial coverage for the local WAC and CUSA schools. But as a result, that leftover is split in two (actually 3 ways in DFW with UNT in the Sun Belt). I imagine the same situation applies in Central Florida, except there are 3 BCS conferences (for now) represented. Doubling gives them enough market share to get decent exposure.

In addition, of course, it helps on travel expense. With the non-BCS conferences getting limited TV revenues and travel costs going up, that is more and more important.

Finally it helps with rivalries. Rice and UH sell their game with each other in their home packet, regardless of who is the home team. And maybe TCU at UH doesn't generate huge interest and a lot of traveling fans, but it generates more interest than Louisville. And Houston or Rice at TCU generates a whole lot more interest than San Jose, Nevada, Boise or Hawaii.

I think the MWC partly missed the boat in thinking that rivalries are everything, but they are important. It would be interesting to see what happened to their attendance since the WAC split. I know Wyoming is down (because they have been losing) and UNLV is up (because they have been winning for a change), but I don't know about the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have read somewhere that UTEP is wanting to be in the same conference as New Mexico State. The schools are only 30 some miles apart. That probably precludes them from getting an invite from the MWC. Maybe New Mexico State should pull a Va Tech. They should call the Gov. and tell him to force New Mexico to only vote for expansion if they vote New Mexico State in. I myself think it would be good for the conference to have UTEP ,New Mexico State, Fresno State, and Boise State invited. New Mexico vs New Mexico State would be a good TV game for bball and football. Hawaii would better off joining the Pac 10 IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
It amazes me that UTEP is so far out of the expansion loop. They averaged 55,000 for their game sin 2001...not too sure about 2002 or this year. They are in the mountain time zone, but still in Texas. Not too far away from New Mexico either. Seems to me that the MWC could have a good addition with UTEP if TCU were to be an option.

I have said that too UTEP is in the Same time zone and academics is there too. Its a perfect fit for them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I have read somewhere that UTEP is wanting to be in the same conference as New Mexico State. The schools are only 30 some miles apart. That probably precludes them from getting an invite from the MWC. Maybe New Mexico State should pull a Va Tech. They should call the Gov. and tell him to force New Mexico to only vote for expansion if they vote New Mexico State in. I myself think it would be good for the conference to have UTEP ,New Mexico State, Fresno State, and Boise State invited. New Mexico vs New Mexico State would be a good TV game for bball and football. Hawaii would better off joining the Pac 10 IMO.

arpmany you are right hawaii and fresno st or unlv belong in the pac 10. utep and nmsu belong in the same conference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:23 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:
I have read somewhere that UTEP is wanting to be in the same conference as New Mexico State. The schools are only 30 some miles apart.
Actually, it is the opposite. UTEP wants little to do with NMSU since they are in the such a close proximity.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If they are such rivals utep and nmsu why wouldn't they want to be in the same conference?