Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CUSA/Sun Belt Future
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the BE splits from to the BB/FB conference, which I think will happen, it will have affect on the C-USA. Marshall I believe will get an invaition to the Big East. Conference USA, I believe such schools as UAB, UCF are going to struggle with attendance. C-USA, I would be better suited to get back to a more of a basketball conference. To do this they remove: UAB, East Carolina, and UCF. But to keep the BB RPI up, they need to add some schools that help that. Can you say MVC? Creighton, Southern Illinois, Wichita State, and SMS. Also they add the Kansas City and St. Louis markets, plus 2 nice markets in Wichita and Omaha. I know these are Big 12 cities but they are still good markets. Downside to these schools is that two play I-AA football, SMS and Southern Illinois, and the other two don't play football. Wichita State has had football in the past and quit the program back when MVC discountied sponsering the sport. They could add it, if they knew they would be in D1 football conference. SMS and SIU could be possible move ups to D1, especially if they had a conference to be in. Creighton I doubt would ever add football but like the other 3 maybe they might. I know football is the big money sport, but other sports would be strong, especially baseball.

In football, C-USA would be a 8 team league.

Conference USA

North Division
Creighton
Memphis
SMS
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
Wichita State

South Division
Houston
Rice
SMU
Southern Miss
Tulane
UTEP

The Sun Belt adds ECU, UCF, UAB, and gets Louisiana Tech from the WAC. Sun Belt gets strengthing plus gets a championship game.

Sun Belt Conference

Eastern Division
East Carolina
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
Troy State
UAB
UCF

Western Division
Arkansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee
North Texas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:02 pm 
C-USA pent-champ UAB is coming off of a Sweet 16 season and that coach is returning to the school.

UCF is coming off their most successful D-I season ever and held Pitt close for most of their first round game.

It is doubtful that a "major" conference would be able to sustain two separate programs (Marshall and WVU) or that WVU would allow it.

When was the last time Wichita State won an a game in the NCAAs, 1981?

SIU not playing in partisan Chicago (as a lower seeded, nonetheless), 1977?

Please confirm your presumed SMS affiliation and in doing so reduce the palpable tension...that being said, you left out the advantages of the Creighton and SMS women's basketball programs...

Oh, and UAB & UCF have basically thumbed their noses at the Sun Belt in the past 15 years...UAB becoming a charter member of the Great Midwest and thereby begetting the loss of the Sun Belt's true basketball legitimacy, and UCF basically forcing the conference's hand in expulsion proceedings by refusing to relinquish a separate tv deal with the Sunshine Network...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:45 pm 
Who are the top three teams?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

CUSA/Sun Belt Future
« Thread started on: Sep 4th, 2004, 2:32pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the BE splits from to the BB/FB conference, which I think will happen, it will have affect on the C-USA. Marshall I believe will get an invaition to the Big East. Conference USA, I believe such schools as UAB, UCF are going to struggle with attendance. C-USA, I would be better suited to get back to a more of a basketball conference. To do this they remove: UAB, East Carolina, and UCF. But to keep the BB RPI up, they need to add some schools that help that. Can you say MVC? Creighton, Southern Illinois, Wichita State, and SMS. Also they add the Kansas City and St. Louis markets, plus 2 nice markets in Wichita and Omaha. I know these are Big 12 cities but they are still good markets. Downside to these schools is that two play I-AA football, SMS and Southern Illinois, and the other two don't play football. Wichita State has had football in the past and quit the program back when MVC discountied sponsering the sport. They could add it, if they knew they would be in D1 football conference. SMS and SIU could be possible move ups to D1, especially if they had a conference to be in. Creighton I doubt would ever add football but like the other 3 maybe they might. I know football is the big money sport, but other sports would be strong, especially baseball.

In football, C-USA would be a 8 team league.

Conference USA

North Division
Creighton
Memphis
SMS
Southern Illinois
Tulsa
Wichita State

South Division
Houston
Rice
SMU
Southern Miss
Tulane
UTEP

The Sun Belt adds ECU, UCF, UAB, and gets Louisiana Tech from the WAC. Sun Belt gets strengthing plus gets a championship game.

Sun Belt Conference

Eastern Division
East Carolina
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
Troy State
UAB
UCF

Western Division
Arkansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee
North Texas

Not to shabby! To logical to HAPPEN............ 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:23 pm 
What happened to UALR, Denver, New Orleans, and USA? Wait, they must be going to the Missouri Valley Conference...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

http://www.gata.com/positivestep.html

I think this would make a nice conference.