It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Utah+BCS = MWC + ???????
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

I think BF has been in D2 sports too long.

Concur with that. I can cite 10,000 Oregon fans in Berkeley 3 years ago.

I did mis-speak in regards to Boise's allotment- it's 4,000 vice 5,000, but there's room to grow. Most of that 4,000+ will drive the 7-8 hours (including 2+ hours in Oregon driving 55). Of course, since Reno's the destination, I doubt football is the sole motivator here. Reno already has 2,200 rooms above the norm booked for the weekend, BTW.

Interesting article in today's Idaho Statesman- it's the Rose Bowl "dream scenario" that I find interesting.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041123/NEWS0301/411230344

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Say Southern Miss and A&M win, wow the BCS would be wacky for sure. For some stange reason, I bet USC will lose to either Notre Dame or UCLA. So the Bowls could shake out like this:

Orange - Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Rose - USC vs. Michigan
Sugar - Boston College vs. Miami
Fiesta - Utah vs. Boise State

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Someone, somewhere, was rattling off some statistic about USC not being able to beat both UCLA and Notre Dame back to back (the years when Notre Dame visits Los Angeles, it's virtually always the weekend after the UCLA game- this year it's reversed) the last 14 times. It's not an unreasonable thought, KC.

I wouldn't bet on it in this case, but it's not unreasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:14 pm 
2002 marked the first time since 1978 that USC had defeated UCLA and Notre Dame in consecutive weekends. Let's just say that between the rivalry component and USC's performance in the Oregon State and Stanford games, a victory by either UCLA or Notre Dame wouldn't seem like that much of a shocker...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UGA and Miami are right behind Boise. With wins, I'm almost certain they will pass Boise. And the Rose Bowl shouldn't be too sure Texas won't pass Cal. If both win and Cal is not impressive it could easily happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The placings of Texas and Cal will NOT matter to the Rose Bowl. The issue of being in the Top 2 matters to any school... after that, being in the Top 6 is the goal of NON-BCS schools. Texas can be passed over for Cal, no matter the "seeding". Both would HAVE to be passed over if lightning strikes and Boise reaches 6th.

However, I do agree that Georgia is likely to pass Boise. An aside- Nevada fans shouldn't even concede the game Saturday.

Another update- either Boise fans are misinterpreting phone calls (like that would be a shocker or something), or there's a bitter journalist (or columnist) in Reno. The journalist says that the school expects 12,000 for the Boise game, half from Boise. I'd heard that Nevada was running out of reserved seats, though it's possible Nevada is trying to hold those seats for actual remaining Nevada fans until walkup. So be it.

Now, a shocking return to topic. Gunner, the Fresno issue is apples and oranges from any other MWC consideration. The Mountain West appears to desire ethical standards from member schools (BYU-influenced? You be the judge). Fresno has acres of notoriety on this subject. A lot of that is the MWC playing to its constituency in many red states. While I can see the conditions in which the MWC ought to make the move, the stress in the language some folk with the MWC use about Fresno is rather telling.

Last edited by pounder on Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I haven't followed the Fresno St story closely enough. What are the issues?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
The placings of Texas and Cal will NOT matter to the Rose Bowl. The issue of being in the Top 2 matters to any school... after that, being in the Top 6 is the goal of NON-BCS schools. Texas can be passed over for Cal, no matter the "seeding". Both would HAVE to be passed over if lightning strikes and Boise reaches 6th.

Actually, a BCS team ranked 3rd in guaranteed a spot if there is an opening after all top-6 non-bCS teams have been taken. (Auburn, but moot as SEC champ)

Then a BCS team ranked 4th guaranteed a spot.
(Cal)

no other BCS teams (Texas at 5) are guaranteed a spot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

What % of the (U.S.) population understands that, do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno State has been pegged over the last 10 years wth the following:

Jerry Tarkanian

Pell Grant Fraud

Centers with swords

Recruiting Violations (especially in basketball)

Problem is, what MIGHT worry the MWC the most is perceived lax admissions standards. Supposedly, that's changing.

Fresno's probably just barely dodged a lack of institutional control finding, but if they can keep their noses clean for a few more years, the MWC might finally wish to look past the warts.