If the Sun Belt were to add another western school and another eastern school, it could split into three five-team divisions for basketball:
Georgia Southern (or Appalachian State) (upgrade from I-AA)
The top four teams from each division would qualify for the conference basketball tournament. Each team would play eight games within its own division and ten against teams from the other divisions. A two-year rotation could be set up to guarantee everyone gets each other home-and-away over the course of two years.
1 - Denver, UALR, Louisiana-Monroe, New Orleans, Troy
2 - UVSC, Arkansas State, North Texas, Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama
1 - UVSC, North Texas, Arkansas State, Florida Internaitonal, Georgia Southern
2 - Denver, UALR, MTSU, Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky
1 - Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, MTSU, South Alabama, Louisiana-Lafeyette
2 - Florida International, Georgia Southern, Troy, New Orleans, Louisiana-Monroe
In this setup:
- Only one trip "out west" to Colorado or Utah each year for the East and Central Divisions.
- Only one trip to Florida each year for the West and Central Divisions
- At least nine for football, if not ten
- Symmertry for basketball scheduling
- Denver gets travel partner in Softball and Women's Soccer