Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who's watching the .mtn?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I noticed that Utah @ New Mexico was played last night and apparently televised on "the .mtn". I also noticed that it wasn't carried on the Denver or SLC RSN's or on CSTV. Who does get to see these games, and why are they playing Thursday nights for a phantom TV audience?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:46 pm 
Junior
Junior

I hope the mountain becomes big enough to where most of the united states gets it. But I doubt it ever will.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Two weeks ago, I'm listening to the BYU game and subsequent post-game show on my way down to SLC. There's no discussion like the "who gets the mtn." discussion to get LOTS of people riled up.

Of course, in one of the darndest decisions I've ever seen, Boise's cable system added the mtn to the digital tier just the day before Boise State's game at Utah. It's still on. I got to see the fourth quarter myself. (BTW, Boise's system does NOT carry CSTV)

The funny thing is that, if I understand correctly, it's supposed to be available in Salt Lake... but not every suburb's cable system carries it, apparently. It's apparently not available in most of Denver, absolutely not available in Las Vegas or San Diego, and outside Boise (where BYU fans probably stuck in to help get the channel on the air), I don't recall any non-MWC markets adding the channel.

The whole goal of the Mountain West, apparently with capitulation from CSTV, was to get the mtn on Dish and DirecTV. That's failed miserably... and predictably IMO. The number do not justify adding the channel at this time. I really have to wonder if CSTV is going to default on this contract because the revenue won't show up.