NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

Hey everyone, my first post but I have read all your opinions.

You guys are assuming 1 and maybe 2 team changes. Wrong.
CUSA in 2010

Memphis gone
UCF gone
ECU gone
UTEP gone
Marshall...maybe gone

MWC
might lose 1 or 2 teams to PAC 10
MWC wants 12 so they will be looking for as many as 4 or 5 teams.

WAC might lose 1 to PAC 10 plus MWC might raid WAC for a few teams and CUSA for 1 or 2 teams.

WAC and CUSA is in big trouble.
Those 2 conference will raid SBC, which will turn them into SBC clones. SBC would raid Southland. Southland would invite independents and DII. See where everything is going. Not a pretty picture. Let me hear a few thoughts before I post a scenario in rumor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:55 pm 
Junior
Junior

No way.
First off the pac ten wont expand for a long time, and if they do it wont be with wac or mwc schools.

C-USA may lose two teams if the big east splits in 2010, and those teams would be UCF, and Memphis. They will probably add Louisiana Tech and North Texas, or something like that.

The WAC will probably lose la tech to c-usa, and unlikely to lose anyone else although the mwc could raid them. They will add a combination of UC Davis, Sac State, and Portland State in that order.

I doubt the MWC will change unless they raid the wac.

The Big East will split and form a ten team league with their current members and ucf, and memphis.

I dont know about the mac, but they could lose many members due to attendance, I am not sure if that would happen.

The Big Ten could get tired of waiting for notre dame and add rutgers, although unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:32 pm 
Senior
Senior

PAC 10 will expand in 2010. The question is who? UNLV, Fresno, San Diego, or 2 Big 12 teams.
Reguardless who they invite, CUSA will lose half of it's teams in the shuffle. This is my point. WAC set to lose 2-3 which leaves them with 6 teams.
CUSA
We agree Memphis and UCF is gone.

UH is looking at MWC or Joining the Big 12 if 2 members of Big 12 leave for PAC-10. Big 12 would love the Houston market.

ECU wants a regional fit. ECU will get the invite for its football in a new East coast conference made up from the split.

Tulane is in trouble. Katrina made a bad situation worse. I would be surprised if Tulane not dropped football.

UTEP would love at Big 12 invite, not likely, or a MWC invite, not likely, however MWC might get stuck with UTEP.

Arkansas might go Big 12, leaving a spot open in the SEC. Who does SEC invite?

CUSA is set to lose big in 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:58 pm 
Junior
Junior

Why do you think the pac ten will expand in 2010? They would never take san diego, fresno, or unlv. They want good academic research schools in aau. They would love the tamu, and ut but that will never happen. Colorado is a possibility, In 15-20 years they will look to expand with UC Davis, and British Columbia.

I dont get how c-usa will lose half its teams? I doubt UTEP will leave, however they may be in the mwc someday. UTEP, UCF, and Memphis are the only ones who MAY leave. The Big 12 will stay the same and so will the sec.

Where are you getting this info from?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

One word....Money.
UNLV gives the PAC-10 a huge Vegas market and the Vegas appeal.
Fresno and San Diego is being pushed by California.

Colorado brings the Denver Market.
I think NM was mentioned to for the Abx market.

Pac 10 will expand to Pac 12. After 2010, 12 member conferences will be the standard for all.
Pac 10 in the west and big east on the east will rip CUSA and WAC apart.

I could see UH and Arkansas in the Big 12. Most likely just Arkansas. Colorado and San Diego in the PAC 12...Denver and San diego market. Maybe Utah and SLC market.

Missouri and St Louis could replace Arkansas. The UH gets the Big 12 call up.

Remember this point, market size counts big. La-tech missed CUSA because of it's lack of market size.

If CUSA does not die in 2010, it will be made up of SBC and Southland teams.

WK will leave the SBC
Denver will leave
FI will leave for a new Florida based conference
MTU will leave.

Texas st and Sam Houston will join SBC.
Maybe Southeast La and NW st will join them.

Delta st,Tark st, Pan AM, and Cent joins Southland.

TXSA, TAMCC, Lamar start up football. TXSA said they want I-A football in the Alamo Dome.
Billy Tubbs said fans won't support I-AA football at Lamar.
TAMCC, i'm not sure if they will play I-AA or I-A.

TXSA is planning a new conference with CUSA members. Rumor ofcoiurse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:35 pm 
Junior
Junior

You are very drastic, the pac ten has no interest of expanding because of money right now. And they want good academic schools no csu will ever be in the pac ten wich means no sdsu or fresno state. WHy do you say california is pushing it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

I didn't say now, I said in 2010. California wants Fresno and San Diego in the Pac 10. The Pac has expressed interest in several schools. It will happen, the question is who will it be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why does the Pac10 want to expand with anyone other than from the Big12 in the next couple of years?

Exansion is about one thing - increasing the number of eyeballs for FB. The Pac10 already claims the SD and Fresno markets. How do they help?

Why do you assume all this upheaval in 2010? That would mean teams would need to be invited around the spring of 2008 to be ready to play in expanded conferences by the fall 2010. The ONLY reason I can see is that the Fox BCS contracts run out in January 2010. Also, does any of the teams you suggest really bring in that many new viewers?

Last edited by panthersc97 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 am 
Junior
Junior

Fresno brings many viewers and San Diego would if they were in the pac ten. 2010 Is also when the big east could split.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If you listen to talk radio in Fresno and read the newspaper, you already know that there's a tension between the diehard Bulldog fans and the fans of the other California schools. San Diego State fans wish there was as much tension down in Low-Cal.

The Pac-10 already OWNS those markets. ABC is NOT slipping in WAC coverage in between Pac-10 markets.

There's barely a market for UNLV in Las Vegas. Most of the "immigrants" to Las Vegas are from... drum roll, please... California. Well, Vegas isn't much of a sports-watching market anyhow. Gambling, that's another matter, and for the smart gambler, that means reducing your allegiances. Then there's the upper bound on Vegas growth due to water and other resources (not that we really know where that is).

I think the originator of this thread overestimates the markets that are being featured here.

NOW...

...where's MEDIA going? With the internet and satellite TV and whatever comes next, how cost effective is it for networks to continue growing TV contracts? We can't even begin to predict what happens next. The next technology will likely have a profound effect on conferences.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Fresno brings many viewers and San Diego would if they were in the pac ten.

See Pounder's comments:
The Pac-10 already OWNS those markets. ABC is NOT slipping in WAC coverage in between Pac-10 markets.

Quote:

2010 Is also when the big east could split.

Sure, they *Could* split but do you really think they will? Splitting for the sake of splitting is not wise. Splitting to add value - that's another reason. Do you think Memphis, ECU, or UCF adds enough value to be added for the Fall 2010 season?

Last edited by panthersc97 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:18 pm 
Junior
Junior

No way the pac ten may own san diego, and maybe sacramento, but not fresno. But who cares fresno is a small market.

THe Big East will split because 16 is too many. It will be better to get rid of the non football schools, and they will be taken more seriously in football.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

Yes, Big East will split. I also think new conference will form in the southern east coast. It will be a SBC type conference.
Memphis will join up with Louisville and Cincinnatti...Maybe UAB will join them. EC and UCF will join the new conference.

12 team conferences will be the standard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hmmm . . . Back to the future?

Let me get this straight. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, UAB, ECU, UCF. New conference? Where have I seen this before? Hmm . . .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

I want to know where playa4life gets his info from. Does he think all this will happen by 2010?