NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Dennis Dodd article reporting that league expansion will be discussed at this weekend's MWC meetings.Unconfirmed reports have that conference having some interest in schools "like" UTEP and Rice.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -expansion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It's ripe with intrigue, and it's hardly one-off when two targets come from the same place. Assume both go, and CUSA nabs who? Texas State and James Madison? One full member and UMass football? Even if it's just one full member, the trickle down will go deep into D1. SBC has to repeat its woes, CAA/F might implode under its infighting, more schools will scream to leave CUSA...things don't have to move much to generate more chaos.

The "fractioned" bit about BYU, though...ouch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I still don't think UTEP and Rice would head west, especially since Big 12 and therefore AAC realignment is very much on the table. If they did move, though, I would expect Texas State to get the call, and then for C-USA to take a stab at Missouri State. UAB is already in the West, and I doubt MTSU or WKU want to join them there, so that pretty much rules out any eastern additions. The Sun Belt then either adds Eastern Kentucky, or will hold their nose and add a Southland school like Sam Houston or Lamar. The other option for C-USA of Missouri State turns them down will be Arkansas State or Louisiana, which probably forces the Sun Belt to go after the Southland for one school if not two.

That's all without Big 12 expansion, though. Rice may find themselves replacing Houston in the American, which forces the Mountain West to go fishing elsewhere (or the American could add UTSA). Middle Tennessee could replace Memphis if they leave, and Cincinnati could turn into Marshall - that would put C-USA down 4 schools, at which then they can grab James Madison from CAA to fill an Eastern vacancy. If there are two holes in the east, UAB can move back, and Texas State, Arkansas State, Missouri State, or Louisiana would go to the west. If there are three holes in the west, it might be an opportunity to grab Wichita State, Missouri State, and Illinois State as a group and effectively gut the MVC.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Vegas with comments from UNLV AD who confirms that the MWC will be discussing league expansion this weekend at http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/mou ... -rice-utep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 am 
Senior
Senior

are either UTEP or Rice even interested?

i can see UTEP wanting to play in MW
but Rice?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

UTEP would probably be excited about this move. Rice probably not. I don't think either adds to the football strength of the conference, but they would add markets - whatever that would be worth to the conference. Another candidate, should Rice say no, would be UTSA. Both UTEP and UTSA would add more western markets in Texas.

Divisions...

Mountain: UTSA, UTEP, New Mexico, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, Utah St
West: Boise St, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose St, Fresno St, San Diego St, Hawaii

I think Rice would fit well with Tulane, SMU, and Tulsa in the American, but they wouldn't be invited until/unless Houston gets a call up. In the meantime, they have more natural rivalries with the likes of their current conference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Houston discussing Rice to MWC report at http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015 ... conference

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Wow! No one saw this coming! I wonder who initiated this and why the parties are doing this considering that the Power 5 cap the Group of 5 off at $12 million. I get the upside for UTEP--it renews some old rivalries that were destroyed by the WAC/MWC schism and is a better regional fit. Rice I'm a little confused about because it's a whole lot more travel for them. My guess is that they feel that the new C-USA schools like UTSA and North Texas are academically inferior and and that UNM, AFA, and Colorado St are closer to being peer institutions. The motivation by the MWC is confusing too. What does doing into Texas add for them? Some recruiting? I don't see a whole lot of tv revenue coming in due to those additions. My guess is that maybe they are trying to rattle BYU and get them to reconsider returning. It will be interesting t see how this pans out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Salt Lake reporting that the MWC has announced(no surprise)that they have no plans to expand "at this time". Link at http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3307259-15 ... -expansion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

https://mobile.twitter.com/SiriusXMColl ... 6597368836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MWC commissioner is "leaving the light on" for BYU.

Post from MW blog about this latest expansion saga.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/12/14 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Here is how I see this -

It's preparation for the cascade if/when Big XII expands to 12 by raiding AAC of 2 of [Cincy, Memphis, Houston].

Suppose that happens. AAC COULD re-stock with UMass and one steal from CUSA.

CUSA would then be at 13. And UTEP is WAY west - not so much "in Texas" but actually south of New Mexico.

UTEP would go to MWC in a heart-beat. That puts CUSA at 12, and they could just stay there.

I think MWC would love to add UTEP and BYU, but they are putting feelers out to Rice just to have a "Plan B".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Funny how no one uses the quote of the expansion discussion being "accurate, but misleading"

They discussed expansion. That doesn't necessarily mean they even want to.

I mean, if the Big Ten gets a letter from Ball State, and the commish says "you all want me to laugh in their faces, right?" then they discussed expansion.

Obviously, this would be a little more open minded than that, but the RESULT of the discussion is way more significant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
Funny how no one uses the quote of the expansion discussion being "accurate, but misleading"

They discussed expansion. That doesn't necessarily mean they even want to.

I mean, if the Big Ten gets a letter from Ball State, and the commish says "you all want me to laugh in their faces, right?" then they discussed expansion.

Obviously, this would be a little more open minded than that, but the RESULT of the discussion is way more significant.

It probably means at least a few schools are interested in expansion, just but enough to approve the Miners and Owls. My guess is that the $12 million playoff cap was the deciding factor. It all but looks looks like the MWC expansion door has shut, at least for now but this certainly demonstrated what the MWC has in mind. It also says a lot about what UTEP and Rice think of C-USA 3.0 that UTEP is willing to give up multiple annual instate conference games and Rice is willing to be a geographic outlier. Rice and UTEP either A) hate North Texas and UTSA B) hate all of the new East division schools or C) hate both of those groups

Truthfully, the current MWC is well built to return to the old 16-team model the old WAC tried from 1997-1999. 11 of the 16 schools involved were part of that line up:

Pod 1: Hawaii, San Jose St, Fresno St, San Diego St
Pod 2: UNLV, Nevada, Utah St, Boise St
Pod 3: Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico
Pod 4: UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Rice

Or simply combine pods 1 & 2 and pods 3 & 4 for two 8-team divisions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Every FBS school in the Mountain & Pacific time zones is now in the PAC-12 or MWC with exception of:

BYU (independent in FB)
UTEP (CUSA)
Idaho (football affiliate in Sun-Belt, truly belong in the FCS Big Sky)
NMSU (football affiliate in Sun-Belt, neighbor of UTEP, truly belong as FULL MEMBER of Sun-Belt, I could see them in FCS Big Sky too)

At some point the PAC-12 might expand to 14, and if they don't reach all the way over to the Big XII, they'll be taking teams from the MWC.
If this were to happen, the MWC wouldn't necessarily be scrambling IF they were already at 14.
I think that IF the MWC were to expand, BYU and UTEP are the targets.
It's generally accepted that UTEP would say YES if offered today.
BYU still harbors these P5 aspirations, but if the PAC and Big XII aren't talking to them, amybe htey should just bite the bullet and re-join the MWC.

Doing so might feel awkward for AD Homloe, after the attempted coup by the WAC failed epically in 2012 or so.
BYU has a nice little deal with ESPN right now, but ESPN is a bit over-extended on college football,
and BYU has some scheduling difficulties that might go away in the MWC.

If the Big XII expands this spring, and it doesn't involve BYU, you might just see this "break open" suddenly.
I think the MWC is trying to be prepared.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
Truthfully, the current MWC is well built to return to the old 16-team model the old WAC tried from 1997-1999. 11 of the 16 schools involved were part of that line up:

Pod 1: Hawaii, San Jose St, Fresno St, San Diego St
Pod 2: UNLV, Nevada, Utah St, Boise St
Pod 3: Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico
Pod 4: UTEP, UTSA, North Texas, Rice

Or simply combine pods 1 & 2 and pods 3 & 4 for two 8-team divisions.

Really, the main reason the 16-team WAC failed is because they were trying to balance hoops & football, and the setup they had crushed their historical rivalries. No one liked the rotating divisions.

But while 11 of the 16 were part of the 16-team WAC that broke up, only FIVE of them were vintage WAC members who left to form the MWC.

So I think a new expanded MWC could work. I don't think they'd do the four-team pods again. I think 14 teams is where they'd want to land. UTEP & Rice with UNLV, Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico on one side in football and the only rivalry missing is San Diego State, but they could play two of their old rivals each year in football with cross-over games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next