NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 62  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
That only makes sense if you think the MWC will get BCS without BSU. If not, then the MWC should not charge anyone anything for a yes vote.

They don't think they'll get it w/o Boise but Utah and BYU don't care because they are as good as gone in 2012 or 2013. The AQ wouldn't take affect until 2012. I hope that Boise gets the invite this summer, but I'm worried they won't because of that. I hope the rest of the MWC wise up and vote yes, so it doesn't matter that UU/BYU are trying to F them

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:44 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

They don't think they'll get it w/o Boise but Utah and BYU don't care because they are as good as gone in 2012 or 2013. The AQ wouldn't take affect until 2012. I hope that Boise gets the invite this summer, but I'm worried they won't because of that. I hope the rest of the MWC wise up and vote yes, so it doesn't matter that UU/BYU are trying to F them

There is still no guarantee that TCU, BYU, or Utah is gone. Maybe there is a good chance, but nothing in stone yet. And BYU chance of
leaving is smallest of the 3.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

You almost have to wonder WHAT Boise State will be joining....

If the Big Ten steals teams from the Big XII, If the PAC takes Utah and Colorado
(both conferences looking seriously at expansion)....
If Texas & TA&M leave the Big XII, what happens to the MWC ?

Do they merge with the Big XII remnants ?
Do the Big XII remnants merge with CUSA West ?
Does it get to a situation where the MWC and WAC remnants consider merger ?

With all this going on, it might make sense for BSU to sit tight until all that shakes out.
BSU lost very few seniors in FB this off-season, and could be a Top 5 team this coming year.
They should remain attractive, at least while Chris Peterson remains.

Right now, the situation has shifted. Before, BSU was groveling for n invitation. Now it is the MWC that has a need for what only BSU can provide....

This next expansion shake-out has the chance to be utterly crazy, and the final outcome may depend upon who is most aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Tute,

If BSU joins the MWC, and the MWC gets a BCS autobid, then they'll have it for 4 years regardless of membership. If the MWC lost even 4 teams, which is a lot...they can just add 4 more teams from the WAC/CUSA (like Nevada, Fresno, Idaho, Utah St). Depending on who is left over, BSU could still find themselves in a good regional conference for them. Would they have an autobid in 5 years, maybe not. But they don't have 1 now in the WAC nor does it look like they ever will.

MWC if they lost Utah, BYU, TCU, New Mexico over next 4 years:

Fresno St., Nevada, UNLV, SDSU, Boise St., Idaho, Utah St., Wyoming, Colorado St., Air Force

Or even:
WEST: Fresno St., SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, NMSU, Air Force
MOUNTAIN: Boise St., Idaho, Montana, Utah St., Wyoming, Colorado St.

I think the very fact that the desired WAC teams want to be in the MWC, the numbers are there for MWC to survive even if they lost as many as 4 teams.

The reality though, it that the number would more be 2 (Utah to Pac-10, BYU or TCU to B12...if B12 lost 2, then probably both go....but if B12 loses 3, I think you might see a CUSA school added as the 3rd). New Mexico or UNLV make sense for a 3rd option, but it pushes the footprint out west when after losing schools, the conference might look to refocus on lost areas.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn, B12 commish already came out and said they want any replacement to come from a NEW market. UT/A&M cover Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston. So unless those 2 leave TCU won't be let in. I don't buy them leaving either. The B10 would have offered the invite in june if UT said yes already. If they lose 3, that means P10 took UU/CU and probably BYU, New Mexico, and Colorado St.(replaces Denver even though they don't have the same clout, neither does CU because they aren't the Broncos) to the B12.

Those 4 would likely be replaced by these 4...Boise St., Houston, Fresno St., Nevada. If 10 is what they want I see UTEP or Hawaii over the others even thought they may not want that trip to Hawaii, thus UTEP could be 10. Maybe Utah St. has a shot to get them back into Utah. NMSU? They don't need to get back into NM. UTEP is right on the border anyway.

P4L, I think you over estimate the no Sun for BYU. They were already a finalist for the B12 when it started. They moved the B12 tourney championship to Sat. When they were in the WAC with us we just played a double header on Sat. or they came on Thurs instead of Fri.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

FSA, I think you might give more credit to Colorado St. then most. While they'd be a good bridge between Kansas/KSU and BYU, even the CSU fans don't think the B12 would ever be a reality. And if the B12 wanted new markets, there is always the eastern/southern push into those population thick states. It's not a stretch to think if the Big 12 needed 3 teams that they could look at schools like Memphis & Louisville along with the standard MWC option of BYU. I think there are fine options to the West like UNM and UNLV but I have to at least consider that the Big 12 could look east too.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I had UNM. Yes Memphis and Louisville are options too. I'm saying TCU isn't with UT/A&M in the B12. I also wonder if they would want to go part west part east instead of all east or all west. Louisville to BYU is far. UNLV is also an option if the B12 school are willing to travel that far west. You could put Air Force and Boise St. as options too I guess.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise with comments from Utah President and others regarding possible MWC expansion at http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/2 ... n-men.html

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

MWC MB discussing above posted linked article out of Boise regarding possible MWC expansion at http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/inde ... opic=24412

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Column out of Honolulu discussing possibility of MWC expansion announcement during the upcoming league meetings.Link at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... +expansion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SI column discussing BSU to the MWC at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise discussing possible MWC invite for BSU,perhaps next week.Link at http://www.ktvb.com/news/A-Mountain-Wes ... 70489.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:24 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I just made a tweet about the MWC (http://twitter.com/ncaasports)

With all the Pac-16 talk, the silent winner if anything like this happens has got to be the MWC. They might find themselves in a position to not just ass Boise St. for the BCS autobid, but also to be able to gain Kansas and Kansas St. If for some reason the Pac-10 took Kansas instead of Texas Tech, they'd still be a nice addition to the MWC family.

All of a sudden, you could have:
East: TCU, Kansas, Kansas St., Colorado St., Air Force, Wyoming
West: SDSU, UNLV, Boise St., Utah, BYU, New Mexico

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Boise St. looks like they'll be in a holding pattern

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/06/0 ... turns.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

MWC has decided not to expand at this time.

They hope to get CU, KU, KSU I guess. I still think CU ends up in the Pac 10 and KU & KSU prefer a BE/B12 leftover hybrid but who knows now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 62  Next