NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
Didn't see that in any Dodd story must have missed it. But seriously if BSU/SDSU want to start a new conference with AFA/BYU, UNLV/Fresno, CSU/UNM, and most probably Nevada/Hawaii, they are just leaving behind the new additions of SJSU/Utah St and Wyoming so whats the point?

That is the point. Just ask UTEP about where their MWC invite went those years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I do like where at least the line of thought is going: that the best programs and/or best schools with market penetration in desirable locations need to pool their resources to become: A) the strongest conference outside the top 4 1/2...and include the types of markets that would make it worthwhile to generate the highest TV contract.

The MWC is in a position where they could dissolve the conference (need to know what the vote count would need to be for that statement to be accurate)...get together with some BE schools, and start over from scratch with a better TV contract.

It seems the MWC is at least toying with the idea of bringing back Boise St, SDSU and reaching out to at least 1 BE school (assumption is it's SMU).

That's great, they want BYU for #14 but I have to think they'd be happy with Houston as well.

Still don't know what it would mean for TV$ though since it would mean having to again restructure their TV contract which isn't great. But you'd have good markets, that's for sure: Bay Area, San Diego, ABQ, Dallas, SLC (either USU and BYU or just USU), Boise St. as a national brand, Denver, Reno, Las Vegas.

But, if you can take your top 8 and combine them with 8 from the Big East, then maybe you have a more appealing option, being able to add Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Connecticut.

So the MWC might remain at 10, that's fine. And they might be able to et Boise St. and SDSU back to get to 12, that owuld be great to see too. The MWC could also try to lure 2 from the pool of BYU/SMU/Houston to get to 14. And using the same process as the BE basketball schools, 8 of the MWC schools could split away and merge with 8 BE schools to create a 16 school all-sports conference.

So regardless, it's good to see the MWC with options. They (the more powerful schools in the conference) don't have to sit back like the WAC and Sun Belt, they at least have some room to consider some options.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:36 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It's the Mountain Time Zone's equivalence of Sherman's March to the Sea. With no chance ever getting the due respect, revenue, or inclusion of the PAC or B12, that old WAC bloc will essentially gut all other mid-major "BCS" conferences. Just like in the wake of the collapse of the old WAC into the MWC, a new "western" conference can emerge with their pick of MWC, C-USA, and Big East fare.

Naturally, BYU will be a part of it. Naturally.

It REALLY sucks to be UConn right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WHOA - who started THIS ?

I think the MWC was perfectly content to be in the Hawaiian / Pacific / Mountain zones.
UNTIL somebody came along and decided to yank BSU and SDSU away into an eastern conference !
And now the BE wants Fresno, UNLV, BYU, Ari Force, etc.
So who exactly is ripping the crap out of other conferences that are on the other side of the country ?

All I'm reading is that MWC wants the western schools back - SDSU, BSU, BYU, and may grab a Texas school to get to even numbers....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
WHOA - who started THIS ?

I think the MWC was perfectly content to be in the Hawaiian / Pacific / Mountain zones.
UNTIL somebody came along and decided to yank BSU and SDSU away into an eastern conference !
And now the BE wants Fresno, UNLV, BYU, Ari Force, etc.
So who exactly is ripping the crap out of other conferences that are on the other side of the country ?

All I'm reading is that MWC wants the western schools back - SDSU, BSU, BYU, and may grab a Texas school to get to even numbers....

It'll be nice if/when they can pull back the western/mountain schools. There will be a logical flow of schools out west.

Pacific - Top Dog
MWC - Leftover FBS conference
Big Sky - FCS Conference
WCC- Private Western schools
Big West - Public Western schools
WAC - Left over schools

Denver would be the only school in the west/mountain not in one of those 5 conferences (assuming BSU, SDSU, BYU, and UTEP brought in). There may be a slight push into the central time zone with the likes of N. Dakota, SMU and/or Houston (oh and Chicago St for now EDIT: And UTPA) but for the most part, the line is being drawn.

The flow even goes to D-II not that there are any schools down there to really consider.

Football - Pacific-MWC-BSC-Great NW/RMAC
Basketball - Big West-CCAA WCC-Pac West

Why can't you guys out east be like us?!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't see why the MWC should stop at 1 Texas school. If San Diego St, Boise St, and BYU all want to come back just take both SMU and Houston and then someone like UTEP or newcomer UTSA to round the league out at 14. SMU and Houston are both going to bring shares of big markets so I think the MWC should be pro-active and try to bring in as many assets (particularly the Big East's assets) as they can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
I don't see why the MWC should stop at 1 Texas school. If San Diego St, Boise St, and BYU all want to come back just take both SMU and Houston and then someone like UTEP or newcomer UTSA to round the league out at 14. SMU and Houston are both going to bring shares of big markets so I think the MWC should be pro-active and try to bring in as many assets (particularly the Big East's assets) as they can.

That's where it gets interesting. Who do you leave out. The MWC was talking with Tulsa according to reports. Do you choose between Tulsa, UTEP, and UTSA for spot 16 or do you make room for them all and go to 18? Three groups of 6 or two of 9? I personally think that's too big but what do I know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Good for the MWC:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/23/3797462/boise-state-mountain-west-big-east

Let BSU stew in the nBE or try going independent. Prima donnas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
Good for the MWC:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/23/3797462/boise-state-mountain-west-big-east

Let BSU stew in the nBE or try going independent. Prima donnas!

BSU has not been good at reading tea leaves. Their governance made some costly decisions, but when shall they own up to it rather than being in saving-face mode?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:16 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

That's where it gets interesting. Who do you leave out. The MWC was talking with Tulsa according to reports. Do you choose between Tulsa, UTEP, and UTSA for spot 16 or do you make room for them all and go to 18? Three groups of 6 or two of 9? I personally think that's too big but what do I know?

I think for practicality you have to stop at 16 and that unfortunately leaves out two deserving schools. When you have 18 members in one conference you are really big enough to be two conferences. It just becomes unmanageable at that point unless you can somehow get permission from the NCAA to technically be two conferences that cooperate with each other when scheduling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454946-colorado-state-and-new-mexico-athletic-directors-caught-plotting-against-mwc

So, after AFA refused to leave its long time rivals, they are plotting to leave AFA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1454946-colorado-state-and-new-mexico-athletic-directors-caught-plotting-against-mwc

So, after AFA refused to leave its long time rivals, they are plotting to leave AFA.

that's old and not happening. this was thrown out into the loop of rumors the same day as BSU coming back, mwc adding UTEP, SMU, or Houston, and the freeing up of tier 2&3 rights for the MWC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN ticker says Boise to stay in MWC...on phone sorry no link

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

:D McMurphy tweeted it and it's on the CSN board

So SDSU probably coming back. Do we get Hawaii for all sports? 12 easier than 11 for all sports plus the furthest div game for them would be in Nevada.

Also talks of going to 14 w/ Houston, SMU or UTEP, Tulsa. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:45 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8796807/boise-state-broncos-staying-mountain-west-conference-all

Here's the link about Boise St. It's a shame that the MWC is playing hardball with the Aztecs and I don't really see the reasoning for it. Aztec basketball is and will be a huge asset to the MWC and help boost the conference's RPI and number of at-large bids they receive to the men's bb tourney.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 59  Next