NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
If the Mt West chose to expand past 12, which may not be likely due to the Go5 money issue, I would love to see Montana join. I wouldn't hate adding both Montana and Montana St but that's 2 schools from a large state that is a very small market. For Mt West expansion, I'd see UTEP as the 1st option with the 2nd option being open. Montana would be great. North Dakota St would be great as well, but I don't think they're interested. Perhaps Eastern Washington? Does anyone know if they're interested? What about another Texas school along with UTEP like Rice, UTSA, or North Texas? None add a whole lot athletically (neither does UTEP for that matter) but they add large markets (Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas, respectively).

You won't see the MWC or AAC add fcs move ups. CUSA may again, but MAC and SBC seem to be the most likely. The WAC should have added Montana back when Idaho, NMSU got invited, if not then, then as soon as BSU went to the MWC. I don't see any more move ups in the west.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
If the Mt West chose to expand past 12, which may not be likely due to the Go5 money issue, I would love to see Montana join. I wouldn't hate adding both Montana and Montana St but that's 2 schools from a large state that is a very small market. For Mt West expansion, I'd see UTEP as the 1st option with the 2nd option being open. Montana would be great. North Dakota St would be great as well, but I don't think they're interested. Perhaps Eastern Washington? Does anyone know if they're interested? What about another Texas school along with UTEP like Rice, UTSA, or North Texas? None add a whole lot athletically (neither does UTEP for that matter) but they add large markets (Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas, respectively).

Unless something happens with Hawaii, Air Force, or Boise St (only real flight risks). They aren't expanding without BYU.

If they add BYU then UTEP is the obvious #14.

If they hold on until 2025, I assume the rules will change to allow full payouts to conferences of 14 or 16 teams and then we may see the MWC expand again and grab a pair of competitive Texas schools, they'd try for SMU/Houston but likely will end up with UTSA/UTEP (or UNT or Rice).

The only way Montana will be able to move up (IMO) is if they strike up a deal with Idaho/NMSU and the Sun Belt conference to take the and MSU for a few years while they reclassify.

Once Montana and Montana St are full FBS members they leave the SBC and the SBC adds another 2 (UC Davis and Cal Poly) then repeat (Eastern Washington and Sac State) until the WAC (or whatever they want to call the new conference) has enough full members to become its own conference.

But this is a long shot at best as it requires the Sun Belt to facilitate this as well in creating a competitor that will compete for the same bowl bids as TV deals, and for Idaho and NMSU to participate as fb independents (possibly with a scheduling alliance) for at least 6 years (at a minimum) and forgo its million dollar payout from the playoffs until the renoegotiation in 2025 where they can petition for inclusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am 
Senior
Senior

Who are the top five schools that could vie for the ONE non fb spot in the MWC, regardless of when or if they add a non fb school? This would take up for Hawaii's Olympic sports....or add to the numbers for each sport(theoretically, they would add a school that played as many sports as possible).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Who are the top five schools that could vie for the ONE non fb spot in the MWC, regardless of when or if they add a non fb school? This would take up for Hawaii's Olympic sports....or add to the numbers for each sport(theoretically, they would add a school that played as many sports as possible).

1. BYU (if they allow it)
2. Hawaii (if both agree)
3. Gonzaga (seems like the best fit, competitive school new market)

Not really any other viable candidates but since you asked
4/5. Loyola Marymount or Pepperdine (LA market)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:11 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:

1. BYU (if they allow it)
2. Hawaii (if both agree)
3. Gonzaga (seems like the best fit, competitive school new market)

Not really any other viable candidates but since you asked
4/5. Loyola Marymount or Pepperdine (LA market)

Not that Wichita is some great market...like LA....but, where would you put Wichita State on the list? How about U of Denver?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:

I may not have a Top 5 yet, but I'll go with a Top 3 in the following:

1.) Gonzaga
2.) Hawaii
3.) BYU

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:56 am 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:

1. Gonzaga
2. Wichita State
3. Denver
4. LMU
5. Pepperdine

Yeah....five was tougher than I thought it would be. Especially, if I rule out the two I don't figure will go...(BYU, Hawaii). I had to steal schools 4 and 5 from tkalmus. LA really would help the MWC....I might have to move those schools up higher in my list??

Will Idaho, NMSU, Grand Canyon or Utah Valley EVER be strong enough to compete for a non-fb bid to the MWC?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Will Idaho, NMSU, Grand Canyon or Utah Valley EVER be strong enough to compete for a non-fb bid to the MWC?

Now that you mentioned it, NMSU has have recent success in men's basketball by winning back-to-back conference titles. I think the Aggies should be under consideration for that non-fb spot in the MW (unless the Sun Belt might have plans for NMSU with its Oly sports in the future). However, the school must keep being consistent when it comes to play successful otherwise.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Now that you mentioned it, NMSU has have recent success in men's basketball by winning back-to-back conference titles. I think the Aggies should be under consideration for that non-fb spot in the MW (unless the Sun Belt might have plans for NMSU with its Oly sports in the future). However, the school must keep being consistent when it comes to play successful otherwise.

NMSU is never joining the MW as long as New Mexico is a member, and for that matter neither will UTEP. The only non-fb school I could see them adding is Gonzaga, but I don't see Gonzaga leaving as the WCC has become a good quality conference than can get at-large bids but Gonzaga can still consistently win.

The MW hasn't wanted to be a large conference anyway, and would be at 9/10 if the Big East hadn't split and SDSU and BSU hadn't come back.

BYU isn't coming back unless Utah were to (and that's obviously not happening). If the MW loses someone then I think they'll try for Rice, UTSA, SMU, North Texas or Tulsa, or I could even see them not adding any new schools if the FB championship game doesn't go as well as hoped. But this is a conference that has pretty much set back in realignment the last few years and only added schools when they had to, so they're not going out of their way to worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

robconstant wrote:

NMSU is never joining the MW as long as New Mexico is a member, and for that matter neither will UTEP. The only non-fb school I could see them adding is Gonzaga, but I don't see Gonzaga leaving as the WCC has become a good quality conference than can get at-large bids but Gonzaga can still consistently win.

The MW hasn't wanted to be a large conference anyway, and would be at 9/10 if the Big East hadn't split and SDSU and BSU hadn't come back.

BYU isn't coming back unless Utah were to (and that's obviously not happening). If the MW loses someone then I think they'll try for Rice, UTSA, SMU, North Texas or Tulsa, or I could even see them not adding any new schools if the FB championship game doesn't go as well as hoped. But this is a conference that has pretty much set back in realignment the last few years and only added schools when they had to, so they're not going out of their way to worry about it.

So, you see the options for a Oly sport school as:

1. No one
2. No one
3. Gonzaga

?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

AAC schools are not moving to the MWC.

UTEP is the choice to replace AF if they leave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UTRGV (formerly UTPA) has pushed back its men's soccer program until 2015, and Chicago State appears to be delayed indefinitely. The five Mountain West schools will keep their current soccer homes a little longer (WAC except for Pac-12 affiliate SDSU and C-USA affiliate UNM). The WAC is still at four counters (CSUB, SU, UVU, UMKC), one transitional (GCU), and five affiliates (UIW, HBU, UNLV, SJSU, AFA).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 am 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
UTRGV (formerly UTPA) has pushed back its men's soccer program until 2015, and Chicago State appears to be delayed indefinitely. The five Mountain West schools will keep their current soccer homes a little longer (WAC except for Pac-12 affiliate SDSU and C-USA affiliate UNM). The WAC is still at four counters (CSUB, SU, UVU, UMKC), one transitional (GCU), and five affiliates (UIW, HBU, UNLV, SJSU, AFA).

Shouldn't these comments be in the WAC section?

I believe that UTRGV has always set its soccer program for the 2015 season. Only woman's was scheduled for 2014. The soccer complex is getting its final touches currently and should be done soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Given the state of CUSA, I think UTEP would now consider the MWC is approached. In the past, that might not have been the case as the school wanted to be associated with all the "eastern" schools in Texas. Now, with all the best Tier 2 schools gone from CUSA, the MWC is now clearly ahead. But it comes down to $$$. If the MWC isn't pulling in enough money, it's not worth it for UTEP (or any CUSA school).

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Given the state of CUSA, I think UTEP would now consider the MWC is approached. In the past, that might not have been the case as the school wanted to be associated with all the "eastern" schools in Texas. Now, with all the best Tier 2 schools gone from CUSA, the MWC is now clearly ahead. But it comes down to $$$. If the MWC isn't pulling in enough money, it's not worth it for UTEP (or any CUSA school).

How do you see this working out?

UTEP and someone else to get the MWC to 14?
Will that someone else be a Texas school or a school from another area(Idaho, NMSU, etc., etc.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next