NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UTEP were to go to the MWC I think the clear #1 choice for the last spot is BYU and if not BYU I'm going to go with my personal favorite UTSA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:21 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
If UTEP were to go to the MWC I think the clear #1 choice for the last spot is BYU and if not BYU I'm going to go with my personal favorite UTSA.

IF UTEP were #13, BYU would only be #14 if they wanted to and I think the Mt West would gladly accept them back. I thought some bridges might have been burned but after the Mt West welcomed Boise St and San Diego St back so quickly, I think they would do the same for BYU. If not BYU, then I like the UTSA option. I think that really would be the only other option. North Texas and Rice are only the opposite side of Texas from UTEP. Both are in/near giant markets (Dallas and Houston, respectively) but neither seem like Mt West type teams. I would pick Rice over North Texas, though. Idaho and New Mexico St are both out of the loop unfortunately for them. New Mexico St only brings in their basketball, which is solid, but their in-state brother is better. Idaho brings in...I'm sure something, but their in-state brother is better at both football and basketball. UTSA is in really a new market for college football, they are a branch of UT like UTEP, and they are getting better. My order: UTEP + BYU, UTSA, Rice (and it stops there.) If UTEP + another Texas school go, look for CUSA to fill their void with Texas St + UL-Lafayette.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I like the AAC being the "Best of the Rest" conference in the Eastern and Central Time Zones
and the Mountain West being the "Best of the Rest" conference in the Mountain, Pacific and Hawaiian Time Zones.

So UTEP (which is really south of New Mexico) belongs in the Mountain West (I think the MWC should expand with BYU and UTEP),
and the rest of Texas stays east (otherwise you are leaning to the "sprawl" that became so laughable under Marinatto's "Great Big East" monstrosity).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am 
Senior
Senior

BYU left the MWC.
BYU is not going back to the MWC.
If BYU joins a G5 conference its the AAC hands down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 am 
Senior
Senior

ctx48c wrote:
BYU left the MWC.
BYU is not going back to the MWC.
If BYU joins a G5 conference its the AAC hands down.

+1

Totally agree! ......ummm, that is.....unless something weird happens, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think UTEP SHOULD be a sortable expansion candidate for the MW. One of the reasons was that it has certain conference-play competitive rivalry history with most of the current MW members; specifically from the old WAC football days. But I believe the next "14th" member (if UTEP gets called) should be either another Texas school (like UTSA, or possibly Rice or SMU; TCU is out of it because they entered the P-5 FBS world) or another school within the West South Central U.S. (i.e.: Tulsa or Louisiana Tech; both former WAC members as well).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTEP didn't get a chance to discuss the MWC the first time. The "core" went to a select few, UTEP was not included, and those select few took the offer.

On another board, UTEP's situation came up and some interesting info came out of it. One fan wasn't so venomous about it, that UNM wasn't that "anti" UTEP, although UTEP's been looked over so many times that until the MWC did finally come around to them, the MWC wasn't as strong as CUSA was. UTEP said no, MWC regained SDSU, Boise, and AFA backed off the AAC, while CUSA became the old Sun Belt with ODU and Charlotte, and Rice, Marshall, and USM filling in the gaps after the AAC pummeled it.

If UTEP happens for the MWC, it's with someone from the AAC or BYU and nothing else. It's not going to be a NMSU or Idaho kind of grab, or Rice or FCS upgrade. I think it takes Houston at the very least...but the current AAC configuration isn't worth leaving. And even if the MWC does score big and lands itself BYU again, I think BYU is going to make a sweetheart deal out of it, with bowl exclusivity and its network rights intact, and may get some say over who it wants with them (and maybe they are enough of a draw to pull someone from AAC, so UTEP still might get hosed), too. But, I don't think the MWC gets BYU back...I think there's enough bitterness between the two sides that they both don't want to give the other side anything "favorable." The MWC has more leverage, but you won't get BYU to admit that, and I think, barring any further MWC defections and devaluing, the MWC is well aware of that. Let BYU come to them and humble themselves...doesn't sound likely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

https://twitter.com/murphsturph/status/ ... 5062182912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess Hawaii AD Ben Jay had made twitter comments of his own that the department would have made money in the last academic year if they didn't have to subsidize travel for the other MWC schools. However, that tweet has been deleted, but Jay goes on about the state fully funding athletics in order for it to make sense.

So I'm suddenly hearing, in more than one place, about Hawaii going fully independent. Is that accurate? I doubt it. But I suspect a restless state legislature making tough decisions might open that discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

pounder wrote:
https://twitter.com/murphsturph/status/490712545062182912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess Hawaii AD Ben Jay had made twitter comments of his own that the department would have made money in the last academic year if they didn't have to subsidize travel for the other MWC schools. However, that tweet has been deleted, but Jay goes on about the state fully funding athletics in order for it to make sense.

So I'm suddenly hearing, in more than one place, about Hawaii going fully independent. Is that accurate? I doubt it. But I suspect a restless state legislature making tough decisions might open that discussion.

Hawaii going Indy in football is highly unlikely. They would have a terrible time finding 13 schools willing to play them each year, particularly the 7 who would be traveling to the island.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:35 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

fighting muskie wrote:
pounder wrote:
https://twitter.com/murphsturph/status/490712545062182912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawaii going Indy in football is highly unlikely. They would have a terrible time finding 13 schools willing to play them each year, particularly the 7 who would be traveling to the island.

Not necessarily. I believe schools traveling to Hawaii can use it as a 13th game that season, and also gets them a return trip or two in other years. P5 schools like playing Hawaii. Hawaii might be able to pull it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:29 pm 
Senior
Senior

pounder wrote:

If untrue or not in discussions, we should hear a retort in the near future. Personally, I don't see very many schools as being able to be independents. I've never said Hawaii, but I could definitely see them wanting to do it. No pressure whatsoever to leave the Big West for non-football sports which is a situation they love. It also gives some major schools an opportunity to schedule a non-conference team later in the season before a rivalry game and it wouldn't be scheduling an FCS opponent. If, and I mean IFFFFF, this occurs then we would likely see an immediate invite to UTEP.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure his accounting is even accurate.
The college president probably doesn't need his AD tweeting stuff that makes the rounds as much as an official university press release.
Twitter is for twits.... it lets us into the inner thoughts of deep thinkers like Kim Kardashian....

Remember, Hawaii is in the Big West, for everything but football.

They are in the MWC for football only, and are only on the hook for subsidizing four (4) MWC games where a "lower 48" school has to fly out to Honolulu.
If indy in FB, they still have to negotiate revenue split that will implicitly include travel subsidies for visting schools, and still have to take care of Hawaii's travel to road games.
And they would lose the beneift of the MWC's CFP bowl money allocation (probably about $1 million /year/school), I'll bet the AD didn't factor that in.....

So Hawaii does NOT want to be stuck without a FB conference (ask Idaho and NMSU how glad they are to have a FB home in the Sun-Belt;
ask BYU [off the record] if they regret leaving the MWC).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hawaii in danger of dropping football...
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/ ... p-football

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Hawaii in danger of dropping football...
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/ ... p-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's incredibly disappointing to hear. Does anyone know if the PAC hypothetically added Hawaii whether it would save the program? I would assume it probably would but I wouldn't know for sure.

This brings up a couple obvious questions to me -

1) How many other schools would completely drop football? I don't know if their would be many, most may join up with stronger regional FCS program. When it comes to finding regional rivals, Hawaii is on an island (pun intended) and this does hurt. Even the lowly Idaho could join the Big Sky and get to play tough competition.

2) Does the Mt West replace Hawaii and with who? They wouldn't have to add but they would want that championship game money and boost in getting a team in a high profile bowl game. UTEP seems like an easy choice assuming BYU is out of the question unless the Mt West wants to look towards the Big Sky for an FCS upgrade in Eastern Washington or a Montana school (I don't think they'd split up though.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

No more Hawaii football?! Wow! Times must be tough. I think Montana or UTEP would be the schools to consider.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next