NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
It will be interesting to see how things play out when the ACC and Big 12 GORs near their end. The result will essentially be a free agency period for the Pac 12, Big 10, and SEC to make their offers to the biggest fish in those two leagues. All three will likely express overtures to Texas and Oklahoma. I'm not sure that they hold the Big 12 together when 3 wealthy conferences are all waiving money at them.

In most conversations surrounding the Big 12's gem programs Kansas gets mentioned. I'm guessing the likely home for them is the Big Ten but correct me if I'm wrong in this thinking. The question is who else goes to the Big Ten? Are they part of a 4-team deal with Texas, Oklahoma, and a fourth school and if so who is that 4th? If the Big Ten doesn't land Texas and Oklahoma and someone else does and the Big Ten throws the Jayhawks a lifeline who does the Big Ten pair Kansas with to make an even 16?--do they make a move to take Missouri? Is it Notre Dame or an ACC school? Do they botch the whole thing and end up getting Iowa St?

As far as what's left of the Big 12 after the dust settles I expect that realignment will happen in phases a few months apart and the Big 12 will be inviting in new blood every time someone else walks out the door, thus keeping the conference alive, albeit weakened. Do you all think the Big 12 will look East (to American schools), to the West (to MWC schools), or some combination of both?

Muskie,
If the B1G grabs Kansas the obvious gem addition would be Notre Dame, but that would be a pipe dream at best. Also up for possible grab would be Missouri depending on if they are still sore at being snubbed in the Nebraska fiasco. An eastern school would also be an option. Maybe in the eastern list would be a number of: U. Conn, Virginia, U. North Carolina, Clemson, or Georgia Tech.

Personally, I see the PAC12 getting 1st dibs on the Texhoma 4, with them saying yes (PAC12 will not deviate from equal profit share, too many powerful institutions out west will not allow UT to have their way in the PAC regardless of who else they invite). The BiG then probably gets the duo of Kansas, Kansas St. and the SEC waiting on the ACC to open up. The remaining schools (TCU, Baylor, Iowa St., West Virginia) will invite schools to replace the top 6 leaving as best as they can. This list would include, but not limited to: Cincinnati, East Carolina, UCF, USF, Houston, Tulsa, SMU, and Northern Illinois.

With the ACC - I think that some schools can be convinced to leave at the right time. This list would be topped by: North Carolina St., and Virginia Tech. The SEC is looking at going east. If they can't get the Oklahoma the Kansas schools, look for the SEC to go north east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

louisvillecard01 wrote:
It'll be another decade before much of this could happen.

Yes. B12 could also vote to extend it before it expires.
ACC the same.
It will be all about levels of differences in TV contracts.
Great differences. Then change.
Differences may not be that wide by then.
Aren't extreme now in P5.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

MWC considering changes to CCG format.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/5/4/8 ... title-game

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:41 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The Mountain West should go to Sixteen teams .... By adding UTEP , Rice , UtSA and North Texas ... This would open up a recruiting pipeline to Texas and give ALL Mountain West teams much needed exposure in the fertile recruiting ground of Texas ......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CowboyFrog wrote:
The Mountain West should go to Sixteen teams .... By adding UTEP , Rice , UtSA and North Texas ... This would open up a recruiting pipeline to Texas and give ALL Mountain West teams much needed exposure in the fertile recruiting ground of Texas ......

I love this idea in theory but I just think that there are too many factors that would prevent it:

The Group of 5 only gets paid $1 million per school with a max of $12 million in Playoff money. The newcomers would have to be able to offset that financial loss somehow.

Travel would be a huge factor. The Texas schools would have to play Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, and New Mexico annually--they are a lot farther away than LA Tech, USM, and UAB. Not to mention the travel problems for other Olympic sports. Even if you did a 3 pods of 5 system (CA/NV, NM/TX, Everyone else) That's still 5 distant away games per year for each school.

Financially, the MWC is doing just fine without a Texas presence. With Boise leading the way and other programs like Colorado St on the rise I imagine the MWC will claim the Go5 slot in most of 12 seasons of the current playoff deal.

If the MWC is going to expand they will be going after more high profile programs. I would expect that an effort would be made to lure SMU and Houston away from the AAC would occur before settling for North Texas and Rice. If BYU had an interest in rejoining they too could easily bump someone off of the expansion list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Houston or BYU are not joining the MWC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ctx48c wrote:
Houston or BYU are not joining the MWC

Well, it's hard to argue with your evidence....since you didn't actually present any.

BYU is going to have to land somewhere, wouldn't you agree?
Pac doesn't want them.
Big 12 doesn't want them.

Which doesn't leave many options for the Cougars....CUSA, MWC or SBC. AAC seems unlikely since their efforts out west flopped so bad last time.

Y'all feel like they are going to stay Indy forever?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

BYU wants better than San Jose St,Wy,Nevada reno etc.Also they left.
They have a better tv package than MWC.

Why would Houston move from the AAC to the MWC?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ctx48c wrote:
BYU wants better than San Jose St, Wy, Nevada reno, etc. Also they left.
They have a better tv package than MWC.

Why would Houston move from the AAC to the MWC?

Everyone knows that BYU left the MWC. Does that fact preclude them from rejoining? SDSU and Boise left the MWC...and returned. So, there is precedence for that type of situation if BYU chooses.

BYU may want better...but, where? Better isn't available.
The Pac doesn't want them.
The Big 12 doesn't want them.

So, where are they going to go, the SEC or ACC?
Or, do you feel they will stay Independent forever?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

They left under different circumstances, and I think it shows when BYU can't get certain core/founding MWC schools to even give them the time of day. BYU tried to undermine the MWC to get ahead of a bunch of those schools after being left behind by Utah and TCU, and it tried doing so with what remained of the WAC while staying ahead and above those guys, too. It was really bad passive-aggressive sabotage, and those other founders had enough of it.

SDSU, Boise, and the others who were ohsoclose to taking their football into the Big East/AAC did so because they were lured by that other conference, who, at the time, had AQ and a perceived good TV deal (to which, later proved that the conference would have neither).

Look, we know these guys all want more money. So, why try to be so cut-throat and nasty about it when "the established way" (ala the SDSU and Boise of that analogy, or TCU and Utah moving onto their respective great beyonds) is business per usual?

***IF*** BYU comes back to the table, the MWC won't simply roll for them. If the new payout scheme plays out consistently, the MWC will be just fine with the money it gets, with or without BYU a part of it. BYU's only leverage is other majors counting them as a quasi-equal to other P5 opponents (but they won't 1-1 the Cougs). Their pride won't bring them back to "The Hair's" desk until he's gone. From what I gathered, the two lost their appetite toward the other. Understandable for Thompson, given the above.

BYU's a head-scratcher. Sob for them and their issues getting in the way of their major status, but it's not like they act like saints. They want the other non-majors to know they might not be any different from them status-wise, but they very much are beyond the others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It's hard to predict what will happen with the BYU football program. As of yet it doesn't seem like the Power 5 will give them a seat. Carrying on as an independent with preferred status among the elites could be a plausible course of action. They could also return to the ranks of the Group of 5, in which case the MWC makes the most sense despite bad blood in the past.

The current BYU scheduling model seems to be play 4 or so MWC schools, 4 or so AAC schools (or the cream of the MAC & C-USA), get an FCS school on there, and as many Power 5s as possible regardless of where they want to play or if they want 2 for 1s. The plan works so long as the Group of 5 schools are willing to assist in filling the schedule. they can play the national schedule the LDS wants. The lack of access to the big bowls stinks but I think the additional television revenue through the ESPN deal and control of tier 3 through BYUtv offset things financially. If I had to vote on what BYU does I'm guessing the py continue their independent strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Perhaps, despite the bit of bad blood between BYU and the MWC, it may behoove the Cougs to set up an arrangement much like what Notre Dame has with the ACC (for football). To have a scheduling alliance works for BYU since they already play three or four Mountain West teams a season. The kicker would be that they could then slot in to the MWC bowl tie-ins, thus giving BYU more options for bowl possibilities. Just a thought since getting into the Big XII or Pac-12 seems like a long shot (still) and going back to the MWC or joining the AAC might seem like a step down to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

GuelphBossman wrote:
The kicker would be that they could then slot in to the MWC bowl tie-ins, thus giving BYU more options for bowl possibilities.

That's a concession too many, given BYU has its own tie-in's, and left the conference and started working on this method to get ahead of the MWC. I mean, depending on how the MWC feels about the subject, they could give BYU everything to come back, but I don't see that before some founders peel off for greener pastures or the conference swells with some AAC or CUSA institutions who would put those core members upset with BYU into a minority voting bloc.

As is, the schools who came over from the WAC after the Utah and TCU departures were fine with BYU's arrangements. UNLV seemed to be one of the only founders okay with them. Hawaii gets hosed, but they'll do anything to keep afloat. It comes down to that CSU, Wyo, AFA, and UNM bloc...what happens if any of those guys leave, or four isn't enough to block anything?

Welcome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65