NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:07 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Call me crazy, but what if you take those 16 schools and then added 2-4 basketball schools and then split into two leagues for all sports but football you could have a pretty awesome "federation" in the western US. Gonzaga and St Mary's added to the west would be awesome. I'm thinking maybe Denver and Wichita St in the mountain.

MWC West:
Hawaii (FB only)
San Diego St
Fresno St
San Jose St
St Mary's (no FB)
UNLV
Nevada
Utah St
Boise St
Gonzaga (no FB)

MWC Mountain:
Wyoming
Colorado St
Denver (no FB)
Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
UTSA
UNT
RICE
Wichita St (no FB)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BSNDenver article discussing longshot Big 12 membership bid of MWC member CSU at http://bsndenver.com/csu-to-big-12-what ... o-power-5/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:
Call me crazy, but what if you take those 16 schools and then added 2-4 basketball schools and then split into two leagues for all sports but football you could have a pretty awesome "federation" in the western US. Gonzaga and St Mary's added to the west would be awesome. I'm thinking maybe Denver and Wichita St in the mountain.

MWC West:
Hawaii (FB only)
San Diego St
Fresno St
San Jose St
St Mary's (no FB)
UNLV
Nevada
Utah St
Boise St
Gonzaga (no FB)

MWC Mountain:
Wyoming
Colorado St
Denver (no FB)
Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
UTSA
UNT
RICE
Wichita St (no FB)

Many of these teams would help strengthen the conference. It would be great having some Texas schools in the Mtn West again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:

MWC West:
Hawaii (FB only)
San Diego St
Fresno St
San Jose St
St Mary's (no FB)
UNLV
Nevada
Utah St
Boise St
Gonzaga (no FB)

MWC Mountain:
Wyoming
Colorado St
Denver (no FB)
Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
UTSA
UNT
RICE
Wichita St (no FB)

Few thoughts...

1. I assume not including BYU was either assuming they get a Big 12 invite, or a massive typo.

2. The MWC was 65-53 OOC this season, and your Mountain conference was 52-62, so it’s a massive step back for CSU, UNM, WYO, AF.

3. It’s also a step back for Denver. They’d be in a better league, but they’d be seventh in a 10-team league that’s bad and a one-bid league, instead of being the third team in a 7-team terrible one-bid league they could get the auto of.

4. It’s a marginal improvement in league quality for UTEP, Rice, UNT, and UTSA, who go from a terrible 14-team league to a bad 10-team league, but have no shot at winning because THEY’RE THE REASON C-USA and this new Mountain conference are terrible at basketball

5. New Mexico State is a good basketball program not invited.

6. Texas Arlington is better at basketball than Texas San Antonio (but don’t have football)

And finally, and most importantly, I think you’re looking at this backward. The reason the MWC took a massive step back in basketball quality is because they sacrificed basketball for football. Adding basketball-only good schools doesn’t really “help” the basketball schools, who would probably much rather devote their time to creating the best basketball leagues possible.

Instead of a confederation of football schools improving their basketball by dividing into two basketball leagues, they should organize separate leagues for optimum BASKETBALL and create a conference for football that’s like the MPSF (In Water Polo, the MPSF is USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Pacific, UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine, Long Beach State, UC Irvine and San Jose State).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I forgot about this thread--didn't meant to leave a discussion just hanging there.

I didn't have BYU in this model because I assumed they'd either find something better or the existing bad blood.

2nd, my reasoning for this plan was if you were going to add 4 Texas football schools to expand the footprint then why not go a little further and technically be two conferences? It was a far fetched, speculative idea.

What might make more sense, if the goal is strengthening MWC basketball, is to being BYU back into the fold--make them the true Notre Dame of the West and use the MWC the same way Notre Dame leaches on the ACC. I'd then add Gonzaga and St Mary's as non-football members. I'd say that's a pretty deep basketball league. Traveling pairs are as follows:

New Mexico & Air Force
Colorado St & Wyoming
BYU & Utah St
Gonzaga & Boise St
Nevada & UNLV
St Mary's & San Jose St
Fresno St & San Diego St

Scheduling would be a breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
What might make more sense, if the goal is strengthening MWC basketball, is to being BYU back into the fold--make them the true Notre Dame of the West and use the MWC the same way Notre Dame leaches on the ACC. I'd then add Gonzaga and St Mary's as non-football members. I'd say that's a pretty deep basketball league. Traveling pairs are as follows:

New Mexico & Air Force
Colorado St & Wyoming
BYU & Utah St
Gonzaga & Boise St
Nevada & UNLV
St Mary's & San Jose St
Fresno St & San Diego St

Scheduling would be a breeze.

I think you’re missing my point.

IF you’re the MWC and thinking “how do we improve basketball” that is certainly a plan they could come up with.

But what I’m saying is that the basketball-only schools are now in a position where they get to plot their own path for basketball first, and basketball mainly.

The West Coast is a better basketball home for Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s and BYU. Sure, there’s UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State who are strong. But the gain of joining a 16-team league that might get 4-6 bids is not worth leaving their basketball-first conference that gives them 2-3 bids every year.

When the Big East/American/TCU thing all went down, the WCC made their move for BASKETBALL, and the Mountain West made their move for FOOTBALL.
2009-2013 MWC: .721 OOC
2009-2013 WCC: .527 OOC

2014-2016 MWC: .584 OOC
2014-2016 WCC: .583 OOC

The MWC took a step back in basketball, the WCC took a step forward. And while it’s easy to point to UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico being down this season compared to years past, it’s not just for that reason that the MWC has taken a step back and the WCC a step forward. That .001 deficit for the WCC includes an 0-10 OOC Pacific team that sat three key players who were being investigated for NCAA violations. Since they’ve been cleared, Pacific is 4-5 in conference.

MWC lost two really good basketball schools and added 5 schools for football. The difference between those lost/added is a 426-460 record joining the existing MWC membership, a .480 downgrade.
The WCC added BYU and Pacific. Combined 579-321 over the last 15 years, is a .643 upgrade.

They hybrid Conference USA and the hybrid Big East couldn’t overcome the divergent missions and split, and everyone except those left behind in the last merry go round are better off (or foolishly chasing FBS like Charlotte).

The conferences with the most departures were the hybrids. Stability comes from like-minded schools with the same mission. Power comes from stability.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Reno reporting that the Nevada BOR has recently commissioned a study to determine how competitive Nevada and UNLV are within the MWC.Link at http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college ... e/82986216

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of El Paso discussing unconfirmed report that MWC may be interested in adding additional schools to include UTEP.Link at http://krod.com/rumors-flying-that-utep ... conference

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of El Paso discussing unconfirmed report that MWC may be interested in adding additional schools to include UTEP.Link at http://krod.com/rumors-flying-that-utep ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The author doesn't really have much to back his claims. The MWC talked about adding UTEP and Rice a few months ago and ultimately decided not to make any moves.

What he seems to suggest is that the MWC would add UTEP as a 12th full member but that means either cutting Hawaii's affiliate relationship, operating with 13 teams, or shifting to a scheduling alliance with Hawaii where they weren't conference members but got X number of games against MWC schools annually.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I view this as possibly preparing to react to a Big XII expansion.....

WHAT IF Big XII comes after BYU and CSU ?
MWC would need a replacement for CSU.... better to have a plan in place NOW.

OR if Big XII shows no interest in BYU, BYU may conclude that no P5 conference is interested in them,
and perhaps then MWC has an opportunity to expand with BYU + UTEP.

To appreciate the UTEP issue, you have to go find El Paso on a map. They are in far west Texas, and (I think) closer to L.A. than to Houston. El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone and a long way from other Texas football schools. UTEP is a real outlier in CUSA. I read a comment that CUSA's new TV contract is NOT very lucrative financially.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67