NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

If the big xii goes to big xiv
While not going to 16, I can see the pac xii going to pac xiv to keep up with the other p5 conferences

Options will be limited
I don't see BYU even if the big xii don't take them, as BYU doesn't really fit
Nor does Boise State fit
Nothing left in Texas

Either doubling down on Colorado and Utah with CSU and USU
Expanding into fresh territory with Nevada and New Mexico
Maybe Hawaii?

The MWC is at risk for losing 2-3
I doubt either Idaho or NMSU get offer
UTEP maybe but while being in Texas, they don't have much of a Texas presence
UTSA? UNT? SMU?
Reach into FCS like North Dakota State? Montana / State? Northern Arizona?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:58 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't know if Montana and Montana State are connected at the hip. If they are then it fully depends on how many teams they would need to replace.

I think North Dakota State would be a great get for the MWC since it's not a huge expansion of their geographic footprint and it brings in a very good football program and an up-and-coming basketball program.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise with comments from MWC Commish regarding Big 12 expansion situation at http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 66837.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of El Paso discussing "possibility" of Big 12 expansion causing MWC to add a school "like" UTEP as a replacement at http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports ... p/87965578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If the Mountain West losses a member (I doubt that they lose more than 1, if any) is UTEP the front runner for membership? I could see UTSA, Rice, North Texas, and Montana also in the mix but I think UTSA is a clear favorite.

The other option if they lose a member is to stay at 10 full members and terminate Hawaii's football membership.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I would imagine the MWC would only possibly lose Colorado State.

I think the conference members like the current set-up where they own the non-P5 FBS schools that occupy the Mountain, Pacific, and Hawaiian time zones.
The only other G5 FBS schools in that region not currently in the MWC are: BYU, UTEP, and NMSU.

To me, that points to UTEP. They are in Texas, but geographically they are in south-central New Mexico.
Supposedly, the MWC and UTEP had discussions a few months ago (presumably about expansion contingencies).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:

I think the conference members like the current set-up where they own the non-P5 FBS schools that occupy the Mountain, Pacific, and Hawaiian time zones.
The only other G5 FBS schools in that region not currently in the MWC are: BYU, UTEP, and NMSU.

To me, that points to UTEP. They are in Texas, but geographically they are in south-central New Mexico.
Supposedly, the MWC and UTEP had discussions a few months ago (presumably about expansion contingencies).

Would dropping football only Hawaii for nmsu hurt the mwc if they lose Colorado State? They pick up NMSU and UTEP for all sports. While travel for football may be cheaper the conference gains a school in all sports. Of course they can pick up a school like Denver should they want to fill up to 12.(assuming Colorado State leaves and UTEP comes in)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

46566 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Would dropping football only Hawaii for nmsu hurt the mwc if they lose Colorado State? They pick up NMSU and UTEP for all sports. While travel for football may be cheaper the conference gains a school in all sports. Of course they can pick up a school like Denver should they want to fill up to 12.(assuming Colorado State leaves and UTEP comes in)

they could go to 10 and stay there ... but there will be little breathing space when the PAC12 comes looking

i don't think the MWC will lose more than one to the big xii
the obvious might be UTEP but if possible, SMU or Houston or even UTSA might be better

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:
46566 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

they could go to 10 and stay there ... but there will be little breathing space when the PAC12 comes looking

i don't think the MWC will lose more than one to the big xii
the obvious might be UTEP but if possible, SMU or Houston or even UTSA might be better

Yea, they could stay at 10. Though i'm expecting the PAC 12 to eventually expand to 14. If the big 12 goes to 12 i'm wondering how long they plan to stay at 12. They may add 2 schools and try and build them up then expand by another 2 in a few years. I think most if not all of the P-5 conferences will sit at 14 within the next 10 to 20 years.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Let's say you are correct.

I think eventually 72 teams could become a single organization of 4 18-team "P4" conferences.
We might be getting close.

If the ACC added UConn + ND (FB too), ACC=16
Big Ten = 14
SEC = 14
Big XII could add 4 for 14
PAC-12 could add 2 for 14
Equals 72....

Who should the PAC add ? BYU and CSU might be prime schools in their region, in addition to Hawaii, Boise St., SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, and New Mexico.
They are sitting calmly back, and should hope the Big XII doesn't encroach on their future prospects.

I think the ACC should invite UConn NOW.

So who will the Big XII take ? Cincy, Houston, Memphis (?), too bad they passed on Louisville when they had the chance.....
I just wish they would hurry up and make up their minds....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

I think 5 power conferences make more sense than 4
4 may mean a nice and even semifinals but 5 will really mean a 6 teams play off with 2 play in games for teams #3-6
The significance of this is that one conference will have 2 teams in the playoff to make more money for that one conference as well as more bragging rights!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Let's say you are correct.

I think eventually 72 teams could become a single organization of 4 18-team "P4" conferences.
We might be getting close.

If the ACC added UConn + ND (FB too), ACC=16
Big Ten = 14
SEC = 14
Big XII could add 4 for 14
PAC-12 could add 2 for 14
Equals 72....

Who should the PAC add ? BYU and CSU might be prime schools in their region, in addition to Hawaii, Boise St., SDSU, Nevada, UNLV, and New Mexico.
They are sitting calmly back, and should hope the Big XII doesn't encroach on their future prospects.

I think the ACC should invite UConn NOW.

So who will the Big XII take ? Cincy, Houston, Memphis (?), too bad they passed on Louisville when they had the chance.....
I just wish they would hurry up and make up their minds....

I don't think Notre Dame needs to join the ACC in football. They potentially can play themselves into a cfp spot without the ACC. With the 5 guaranteed ACC games a year they just need to schedule 3-4 p5 games a year. I'm under the assumption that byu isn't joining a p-5 so they would be a potential game a year.

Personally I'd take Memphis, Cincinnati, CSU and Tulane if I was the big 12. You stick Tulane in the south with the Texas and Oklahoma schools. While sports wise Tulane is a bad pick they will be a easy conference win for the south like Kansas will be for the north in football.
For the pac 12 I would pick New Mexico and UNLV. The reason for Unlv would be to even out the north. Utah and unlv will go to the north in football. I don't see Boise State or byu as good adds.
NMSU fills up New Mexico spot. Denver could fit in as a non football team.
The main concern if the AAC expands or breaks apart. The mountain West may be able to pick up Houston from the AAC under my idea though I'll admit it's likely that they will become a p-5 school.
Should they survive then they may pick up southern miss or Louisiana Tech. They probably will add umass and maybe pick up either old dominion or Charlotte. Maybe add both and remove Navy's football only agreement.
C-usa adds 2 Sun belt teams to get back to 12.
The Sun Belt adds Liberty and Eastern Kentucky to get to 10. It may not be worth it though to 12. Though some in the p-5 may want them to expand to 12. This would be to purely give them more teams to beat up on without scheduling a FCS game.

Us National Soccer Team

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68