NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:42 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With the Power 5 increasingly squeezing the Group of 5 out of the picture I imagine that we are going to see fewer and fewer Top 25 votes for non-Power 5 schools. With that being said, I think there ought to be a poll just for the Group of 5 and independents not located in South Bend, IN. Would any of you all be interested in voting in a collegesportsinfo.com Top 25 poll for schools outside the Power 5 if I administrated it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

What would be the point, Muskie?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

westwolf wrote:
What would be the point, Muskie?

If the power 5 are going to treat the group of 5 like a separate class within the NCAA they ought to have polls and rankings just like the other lower levels of competition. Most of the regulars on here seem to be pretty close followers of college football and ought to be able to make educated evaluations of group of 5 squads. I also think having a poll on here would result in some lively conversations in a time where there is little conference realignment chatter going on now that GoRs are holding conferences in a temporary stasis.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

If there ever is an actual split between the Power 5 and the Group of 5, then this will eventually happen naturally. According to the various pre-season polls for this year that have been released, the only Group of 5 team getting in the top 25 is Central Florida which is understandable. The coaches' poll didn't have any Group of 5 schools in the top 25 but had votes for Central Florida (#28), Marshall (#37), BYU (#38), Boise St (#39), UL-Lafayette (#41), Cincinnati (#43), Fresno St (#46), Houston (#48), and Northern Illinois (#52). Maybe the real story is how 52 different schools got votes.

Anyways, I think this is a an awesome idea in theory. It does give us something to do while realignment is cooled off for the season. It also helps us evaluate who may be on the block for moving up to a better conference. People may say this is not relevant, but look at Southern Miss. They were a very solid program for years. The American Conference sort of formed overnight and Southern Miss was excluded and I'm sure their lack of performance on the field had something to do with it.

However, it would require people paying attention to many games that wouldn't even be on TV so we'd be voting simply based off of box scores which is a dangerous practice. I believe most (if not all) of the coaches vote this way which skews the coaches' poll because sometimes a team can absolutely dominate a game but only win 14-3 and not be ranked as highly as they should. It happens. My other issue would be how weak the programs would be in this new top 25. According to http://www.realtimerpi.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (only source I used for this post and strangely places Bowling Green in the top 25...), we would get down to #73 before we had a full top 25. That would be about 57% into the total number of FBS teams. On a side note, #74 on the RPI list is North Dakota St (FCS).

I think it'd be better if we did a top 10 or 15. I would definitely be down for that, but I would also be okay with top 25.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

BePcr07--You made some great points there--I think a Top 15 list would be better especially considering that in many weeks there might not even be 25 teams from that pool with winning records especially early on when they are playing money games with the power 5.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:29 pm 
Junior
Junior

I would be for a top25 poll of the lower 5. This can become very interesting because of the power teams that are played in the 1st half of the season. Example: lets say that Utah St. bumps off Tennessee Aug 31st- now how does that poll shape up? Or UTSA eliminates Houston Aug 29th, or Boise St. beating Miss Aug 28th, Colorado St. beating Colorado Aug 29th, UCF over Penn St. in Ireland Aug 30th, Appalachian St. upsetting (again) Michigan Aug 30th, or Fresno St. bumping off USC Aug 30th?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:33 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I would be for a top25 poll of the lower 5. This can become very interesting because of the power teams that are played in the 1st half of the season. Example: lets say that Utah St. bumps off Tennessee Aug 31st- now how does that poll shape up? Or UTSA eliminates Houston Aug 29th, or Boise St. beating Miss Aug 28th, Colorado St. beating Colorado Aug 29th, UCF over Penn St. in Ireland Aug 30th, Appalachian St. upsetting (again) Michigan Aug 30th, or Fresno St. bumping off USC Aug 30th?

glad to have you on board. Every season I look forward to see which Davids slay Goliaths in the early weeks--or in the case of Florida--which David slays them during the next to last game that was scheduled as "breather" to prep for for their big OOC rivalry game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

I used last year's records, returning starters, USA Sagarin's 2013 Strength of Schedule rankings (less weight on SoS), and my own eye-test

BePcr07 Rankings
1. BYU
2. Houston
3. UCF
4. Navy
5. Boise St
6. Cincinnati
7. Bowling Green St
8. Marshall
9. UL - Lafayette
10. Toledo
11. UTSA
12. Fresno St
13. Northern Illinois
14. Central Michigan
15. San Diego St
16. UNLV
17. Rice
18. Colorado St
19. Tulane
20. East Carolina
21. Utah St
22. Buffalo
23. Arkansas St
24. Western Kentucky
25. Middle Tennessee St

Conferences Represented
Mt West (6)
American (5)
CUSA (5)
MAC (5)
Sun Belt (2)
Independent (2)

Good or bad, I'm going to stick with this for now. Maybe use the point system (#1 = 25 points, #2 = 24...) and post the preseason rankings.

Side note: I dislike preseason rankings. Mine could be completely off or right on target.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

BePcr07--Thanks for your input. I hate preseason rankings too--personally, I think most preseason polls focus solely on the logos on the sides of the helmets rather than how a team is actually going to perform. I'm thinking of starting the poll after 5 weeks of play to get a better idea of how teams are going to be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

BePcr07 wrote:
Maybe use the point system (#1 = 25 points, #2 = 24...) and post the preseason rankings.

Let's do top 15--15pts for first, 14 for 2nd, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
Let's do top 15--15pts for first, 14 for 2nd, etc.

Sounds good. My top 15 still stands even though you're starting after week 5.

BePcr07 wrote:
I used last year's records, returning starters, USA Sagarin's 2013 Strength of Schedule rankings (less weight on SoS), and my own eye-test

BePcr07 Rankings
1. BYU
2. Houston
3. UCF
4. Navy
5. Boise St
6. Cincinnati
7. Bowling Green St
8. Marshall
9. UL - Lafayette
10. Toledo
11. UTSA
12. Fresno St
13. Northern Illinois
14. Central Michigan
15. San Diego St

Conferences Represented
MAC (4) - has the most but top team is at #7, more like the "Moderately Average Conference"
Mt West (3) - average, had the most with 6 when I did the top 25
American (3) - top-heavy, all 3 are in my top 6
CUSA (2) - average
Independents (2) - both are top 4, only missing school is Army
Sun Belt (1) - well, it is the Sun Belt